Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (2019+)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2019, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024

First, a hearty welcome to Executive Platinum status!

New Executive Platinum members, whether "self-made", via your Concierge Key nomination or made by AA offers, including challenges, to similar status holders from competing airlines, often have questions about how the program works.

Feel free to post your questions here, but also be aware many of your questions about American Airlines, AAdvantage and Executive Platinum status can be answered in these resources:
Link to What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (consolidated) thread on FT

Link to AAdvantage Elite Status guide and charts on aa.com

Link to "FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!" thread.
● For older posts, please see:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ag-2018-a.html

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (2017+)

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (pre-2017)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Back to EXP after a hiatus from CK for family reasons. Took me 5 months, not traveling too much this year. Very glad, because AA treat anyone less than EXP like dirt. Won’t get CK this year but that’s life, I will close out the year at around $30k EQD, all on AA metal.

However something seems to be wrong: my boarding passes are still PP, and I’m not showing up EXP on the upgrade lists or on the in flight handhelds, so they’re refusing things like snacks.

AA Twitter team assures me everything is OK, but clearly it’s not. Anyone have any advice?
Old Nov 23, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I would call the customer service line, well have AA transfer you to them.
remember, weekends they seem to be closed.
They seem to be able to resolve issues quite well
Old Nov 23, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by jmappleby

However something seems to be wrong: my boarding passes are still PP, and I’m not showing up EXP on the upgrade lists or on the in flight handhelds, so they’re refusing things like snacks.
In the past from what I understand there can be a lag in updating existing reservations to reflect your new status. You would have to call AA and have them remove your advantage number from the reservation and then add it again to reflect the new status . Its been a little while since I've heard mention of this but perhaps thats the issue you are experiencing.
afmiami likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MorganB
In the past from what I understand there can be a lag in updating existing reservations to reflect your new status. You would have to call AA and have them remove your advantage number from the reservation and then add it again to reflect the new status . Its been a little while since I've heard mention of this but perhaps thats the issue you are experiencing.
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense, I have a lot of bookings. Now you mention it I remember hearing about this before. Will give them a call on Monday to check my next flights.
MorganB likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA - EXP
Hit EXP a month ago. No flights in J (other than an OP up to BCN), most of the meat of the EQD's and EQM's came from 2x JFK - AKL returns on CX in PE.

First time for me after 4 years as Platinum, interested to see if it's worth it. One of the main motivators for me was the baggage allowance, especially when flying AA with others on my record locator. When traveling with the band we have about 150kg's spread across 12 pieces! I doubt I'll have much luck on SWU's with such a low EQD spend but I do have a lot of flex in my travel to give it a good try.

The cash price for all of my OW travel came in around $7500 this year which is not to bad at all!

It seems like flying PE on OW carriers/ticket stock other than AA is the fast track which is kind of mind-boggling. I actually booked AA metal flights on BA paper to maximalize EQD's.

See you in the lounge and cheers to the Flyertalk community, y'all helped me cross the line.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Just qualified for the first time. AA flyer since 93. I know those of you that have been EP for years may be a bit jaded but I for one am quite excited, hopefully it’s not a let down. No business travel so it feels like quite the accomplishment!
JDiver, MorganB, CMK10 and 8 others like this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 11:06 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
With the miles from yesterday's CLT-MIA-MAD flights posting I'm happy to say I'm back for my second consecutive year. Currently sitting at $15,109 EQD and 128,531 with several trips including a paid J QR r/t that'll put me over the 150,00 EQM mark.

This was my first year ever as EXP and I'm pretty happy. The summer maintenance slowdown was awful, granted but I've felt valued and have enjoyed the experience a lot.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Quick question: just requalified for EXP a week ago and now 109K miles and 18K spend (one more flight to go). But no SWUs in my account yet. Last year I qualified for EXP as a result of CC EQMs posting and did not get my SWUs until early this year (which expire in January 2021)...so does the system somehow think I already got SWUs in 2019 and don't deserve any more? I assume I'll have to call someone but who?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by ckendall
Quick question: just requalified for EXP a week ago and now 109K miles and 18K spend (one more flight to go). But no SWUs in my account yet. Last year I qualified for EXP as a result of CC EQMs posting and did not get my SWUs until early this year (which expire in January 2021)...so does the system somehow think I already got SWUs in 2019 and don't deserve any more? I assume I'll have to call someone but who?
No, you show get your 4 SWUs. I think it takes a couple of days to show up after qualifying.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 7:13 am

I made it with my last flight. Just for S&G, I logged into my account while I was still three hours from landing on the flight that would take me over. I'd actually been credited before landing, and as I had already cleared 150k EQMs, I'd also been given the option to select my two extra SWUs. I've found for my last two flights that the crediting is extremely fast.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ckendall
I requalified for Ex Plat on Monday and the SWU hit my account the next day. Got the Ex Plat email from AA on Wednesday. You might want to reach out to the EXP phone number and see if they can help.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyInORD
I requalified for Ex Plat on Monday and the SWU hit my account the next day. Got the Ex Plat email from AA on Wednesday. You might want to reach out to the EXP phone number and see if they can help.

I called today (Customer Service) and it looks like the new SWUs should be on the way shortly. A word to others: if for some reason your qualification is only official after the end of the year (in my case last year due to some credit card EQM and 12/31 flying) and your SWUs post in the next year (mine finally posted in March 2019 with 1/31/2021 expiration), then the system may not automatically give you SWUs when you qualify the next year (I qualified in late November 2019). Happily, after a half hour on the phone, an email is being written that should result in 4 more SWUs being deposited with 1/31/2021 expiration.
MorganB likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Exp Award Flight Cancellation

Not sure if this is the right place or not - I am PPro this year, will be EXP in a few weeks and for 2020. If I book an award flight for March 2020 now, as a PPro, can I cancel without penalty later on while I’m EXP?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by redtop43
Not sure if this is the right place or not - I am PPro this year, will be EXP in a few weeks and for 2020. If I book an award flight for March 2020 now, as a PPro, can I cancel without penalty later on while I’m EXP?
Yes!
Old Dec 7, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM Hilton Diamond Bon Voy Lifetime Platinum Elite
I hit EXP 2 weeks ago for the 13th time in the last 14 years... missed only once... My upgrade pct is typically 90%. but i find
myself buying F on a lot of trips since all of it is domestic.
CMK10, AANYC1981 and robertablake like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.