Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2017 "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Okay then don't!. SWU availability in January is difficult, especially if it expires in January.
As a plat with SWU's gifted to me (the SWU's expired at the end of Jan), I was upgraded on both DFW-NRT and NRT-DFW this past January. The same person had tried to use them for me on DFW-PEK/PEK-DFW the prior November, but they didn't go through.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Titanium
Protocol of 500 mile UPG on a potential oversold flight

I'm going to have a flight on the thanksgiving day on E75 with 12F. Right now the F cabin looks wideopen but the EF inventory shows J1 Y0, so that means this flight is potentially oversold? Out of curiosity If so will they process the 500 mile upgrade in the advance or they will process all 500 mile upgrade at gate?

Thanks
Old Nov 19, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by songzm
I'm going to have a flight on the thanksgiving day on E75 with 12F. Right now the F cabin looks wideopen but the EF inventory shows J1 Y0, so that means this flight is potentially oversold? Out of curiosity If so will they process the 500 mile upgrade in the advance or they will process all 500 mile upgrade at gate?

Thanks
Flight is probably oversold, upgrades should be processed in advance.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by James.li1273
Hi guys, I'm a little confused about how international complimentary upgrades for exec plat works...

I frequently don't get upgraded on flights where it shows empty biz class seats on jetnet. What gives?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Agree with the other responses. I routinely get complimentary upgrades for domestic and international to Mexico, but never get upgrades on overseas international flights.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by hwbudden
Agree with the other responses. I routinely get complimentary upgrades for domestic and international to Mexico, but never get upgrades on overseas international flights.
As a PLT, I was 2 for 2 on oversold flights from LAS-LHR, Booked Eco+ got Business
Coach was oversold so they rolled people to put some coach people in + and rolled some + to business
I was told it was due to status
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; AA EXP; UA 1K
Originally Posted by mvoight
As a PLT, I was 2 for 2 on oversold flights from LAS-LHR, Booked Eco+ got Business
Coach was oversold so they rolled people to put some coach people in + and rolled some + to business
I was told it was due to status
Christmas comes early!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by James.li1273
Hi guys, I'm a little confused about how international complimentary upgrades for exec plat works...

I frequently don't get upgraded on flights where it shows empty biz class seats on jetnet. What gives?

Thanks in advance for the help!
We have merged your query into the existing thread on 500 mile upgrades / UDU for EXP. Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page.

/Moderator
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by wjj
My experience last week was different.

I linked a non-status relative's record to my record so that she took on my status for upgrade purposes. She had no stickers. The upgrades cleared at about T-24. When my travel companion went to OLCI, she got the message that she could not check in because she had no stickers in her account and had to buy 3. I called the EXP line and they agreed that the stickers should come out of my account but the system was looking to the non-status account instead and that it could be fixed at the airport. I HUCA and got the same answer. Both reps said that if she had stickers, they would have been pulled from her account and she would be free and clear. Got to the airport (RSW) and they said they could not fix it and that she had to buy 3 stickers for her account in order to keep the upgrade. I finally got them to call their internal help desk and after 20 minutes, the help desk folks were able to pull from my account.

The interesting thing is that every person I talked to from AA on this matter said that the stickers would be pulled from the non-elite companion account in the system and not my account. All acknowledged the T&Cs seemed to say different but all said it seemed that there was a difference when the non-elite is on the same record as the sponsoring elite versus being on a different record that was linked as was my case. So,Mrs. wjj has 25 unused stickers in her account but no longer has elite status. No way to use these or transfer them, or convert to miles like in the past. So I asked each rep that if Mrs. wjj and I flew on separate records that I linked for upgrade purposes if we cleared, would the stickers get pulled from her account. All said, apparently, yes.
Seems crazy and not consistent with the T&Cs to me, but that is what happened.
- That is very good to know for two reasons:
1) Sometimes I fly with colleagues who are not elite. Then if we fly on the same record locator or with linked locators they will be responsible for upgrade stickers not me.
2) I may offer my colleague to make use of his stickers when we fly together next time.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by Alex_I
- That is very good to know for two reasons:
1) Sometimes I fly with colleagues who are not elite. Then if we fly on the same record locator or with linked locators they will be responsible for upgrade stickers not me.
In practice (my experience traveling with SO), this is implemented somewhat unevenly: the stickers could come from their account or yours.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 12:53 pm

500-mile upgrades for elite companions

Hello -

If I am platinum pro and receive a complimentary upgrade, but am traveling with my wife who is gold but does not have any 500-mile upgrades of her own, am I still able to use my stickers on her reservation, or can I only redeem for companions who do not have status?

I think the answer should be, yes, I can use them on her, but I had a weird experience trying to come home from Thanksgiving. When we booked tickets (her on my account - platinum at the time), i requested upgrades, agreeing to use 3x per person (6 total). The upgrades cleared (I didn't receive an email but was able to pick 1st class seats through the app) but when I went to check in, it told me there were not enough 500-mile upgrades in the account and that I would need to check-in / purchase stickers at the airport.

I had 29 total stickers so I wasn't sure what the problem was. I called AA and it turns out their computers were trying to remove the 3x stickers for my wife's upgrade from her account (and her balance was 0).

So, in the future, if she's gold and doesn't have any of her own stickers, will I be able to use my stickers on her (if we're on the same PNR)?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
This year I qualified for the first time for PL Pro and will be EXP by the end of the year. I was G or PL for the past 5 or 6 years. While I was happy to get a higher status and be eligible for complimentary upgrades the status came with a disappointing news - I will no longer earn 500 mile upgrades. OK, I get it that from now on I will be getting free upgrades for myself. But I will still need to use stickers to upgrade my companions. In the past I was earning and using those stickers to upgrade both of us on itineraries - free. So what AA does is basically saying that since they will give me free upgrades now, they will start charging me to upgrade my companions (by making me buy stickers instead of earning them). I find it to be really low and disgusting practice by AA, their lately becoming usual of giving with one hand and taking with another.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by foxberg
This year I qualified for the first time for PL Pro and will be EXP by the end of the year. I was G or PL for the past 5 or 6 years. While I was happy to get a higher status and be eligible for complimentary upgrades the status came with a disappointing news - I will no longer earn 500 mile upgrades. OK, I get it that from now on I will be getting free upgrades for myself. But I will still need to use stickers to upgrade my companions. In the past I was earning and using those stickers to upgrade both of us on itineraries - free. So what AA does is basically saying that since they will give me free upgrades now, they will start charging me to upgrade my companions (by making me buy stickers instead of earning them). I find it to be really low and disgusting practice by AA, their lately becoming usual of giving with one hand and taking with another.
The rule that EXPs don’t earn stickers is not new. It has been the rule for as long as I can remember (which dates back to well before the merger).

Moreover, keep in mind that you not only get unlimited complimentary upgrades but also have a much better chance of clearing upgrades than as a GLD or PLT.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by wjj
My experience last week was different.

I linked a non-status relative's record to my record so that she took on my status for upgrade purposes. She had no stickers. The upgrades cleared at about T-24. When my travel companion went to OLCI, she got the message that she could not check in because she had no stickers in her account and had to buy 3. I called the EXP line and they agreed that the stickers should come out of my account but the system was looking to the non-status account instead and that it could be fixed at the airport. I HUCA and got the same answer. Both reps said that if she had stickers, they would have been pulled from her account and she would be free and clear. Got to the airport (RSW) and they said they could not fix it and that she had to buy 3 stickers for her account in order to keep the upgrade. I finally got them to call their internal help desk and after 20 minutes, the help desk folks were able to pull from my account.

The interesting thing is that every person I talked to from AA on this matter said that the stickers would be pulled from the non-elite companion account in the system and not my account. All acknowledged the T&Cs seemed to say different but all said it seemed that there was a difference when the non-elite is on the same record as the sponsoring elite versus being on a different record that was linked as was my case. So,Mrs. wjj has 25 unused stickers in her account but no longer has elite status. No way to use these or transfer them, or convert to miles like in the past. So I asked each rep that if Mrs. wjj and I flew on separate records that I linked for upgrade purposes if we cleared, would the stickers get pulled from her account. All said, apparently, yes.

Seems crazy and not consistent with the T&Cs to me, but that is what happened.

In my experience, this stuff only happens when the non-elite passenger tries to OLCI before I do. The past half-dozen times I've upgraded a non-elite (always on a separate PNR that I called to have linked -- and all of which have worked/cleared at T-100), I made sure to OLCI myself first and then to OLCI my companion. No trouble at all, and the stickers have later come out of my account as expected. In the past the other passenger had tried to OLCI before me and gotten the "please buy stickers" message you describe.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, WN, Hyatt, HHonors, Avis Pref+
This may be a common question but it`s hard to search for. Upon qualifying for Gold after having no status, do you receive any upgrade stickers? It seems the answer is no which does decrease the value of having the status compared to UA or DL. I did it on segments in 2015 and don't recall but I already had some from a challenge so it didn't affect me. A relative just qualified but doesn't have any so it seems like they will have to fly 12.5k with no hope of an upgrade (except sub-500 mile flights) before earning the instruments to do so? Or even more than 12.5k since the counter resets in February?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ZonaFlyer
This may be a common question but it`s hard to search for. Upon qualifying for Gold after having no status, do you receive any upgrade stickers? It seems the answer is no which does decrease the value of having the status compared to UA or DL. I did it on segments in 2015 and don't recall but I already had some from a challenge so it didn't affect me. A relative just qualified but doesn't have any so it seems like they will have to fly 12.5k with no hope of an upgrade (except sub-500 mile flights) before earning the instruments to do so? Or even more than 12.5k since the counter resets in February?
You don't normally get any initial stickers though you can buy them. These days you would probably need to buy them and get on the airport upgrade list before you would find out whether you had an upgrade. If you had any stickers left in your account they should still be there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.