Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

American Airlines | AAdvantage

Flying IB / Iberia: Earning EQM, EQD, Award Miles, related issues

Flying IB / Iberia: Earning EQM, EQD, Award Miles, related issues

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 29, 22, 4:14 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Flying Iberia: Earning EQM, EQD, EQS, Bonus & Award Miles and Related Issues

Link to Iberia partner page on aa.com

To earn AAdvantage miles when you fly on Iberia marketed and operated flights as well as Iberia codeshare flights operated by oneworld carriers and affiliates:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code
  • Fly an eligible route

AFFILIATE AIRLINES
  • Air Nostrum
  • Iberia Express

On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.

NOTE: Vueling Airlines / VY is not a part of oneworld. Iberia flights operated by Iberia would not accrue AA instruments.

NOTE: AA Joint Business Venture partners AY, BA, IB, JL now earn up to 3 EQM per flown mile, along with American Airlines. See the earning chart linked to above.

EQ Dollars are earned as a percentage of miles flown determined by fare class.

Iberia marketed (codeshare) flights must be operated by a oneworld or affiliate airline to earn AAdvantage miles. The ticketing or selling carrier or agent is immaterial to earnings.

It is always advised to try to assure your AA Frequent Flyer Number is on your boarding passes, and we always advise retaining your boarding passes (or take screen shots of e-boarding passes) until your instruments have all posted.

Also see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html

Link to archived posts through 2017 posts of Flying IB / Iberia: seat, ticket, PNR, earning, award issues (consolidated)

Note: more extensive existing threads on specific issues with Iberia

IB 23 May 2019 split thread into
ARCHIVE through 2017: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html

AWARDS: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-airlines.html

SEAT SELECTION: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...tc-issues.html

Help avoid YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British & IB / Iberia (consolidated)

AA Participating Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)

AA vs. IB comparison / which is better, etc.

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 21, 20, 8:18 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA dirt, Amtrak Select, Uber Platinum
I'm having a bit of trouble understanding how this works. If a flight is marketed by AA but operated by IB, how is it treated for EQM/EQD earning? Are premium cabin bonuses the same as if the flight was operated by AA?
Old Jan 26, 20, 12:08 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by newbiztraveler View Post
I'm having a bit of trouble understanding how this works. If a flight is marketed by AA but operated by IB, how is it treated for EQM/EQD earning? Are premium cabin bonuses the same as if the flight was operated by AA?
If your flight is AA-marketed -- that is, the flight number on your ticket and boarding pass is "AA..." -- then you will earn according to the AA table regardless of who operates the flight.
Old Oct 1, 21, 10:08 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
How long should it take for Iberia marketed flights to post to AA accounts. I flew ZRH to MAD on Sunday and my miles still haven't posted.
Old Oct 1, 21, 10:25 am

Programs: AA - Plat. Pro; 1W Emerald; HHonors Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by donotblink View Post
How long should it take for Iberia marketed flights to post to AA accounts. I flew ZRH to MAD on Sunday and my miles still haven't posted.
Hah. Well, when I flew them in July it took the better part of 2 months. Some attribute that to a computer system switchover at IB, but who knows. IB is -not- known for back office support.
Old Oct 1, 21, 10:27 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer View Post
Hah. Well, when I flew them in July it took the better part of 2 months. Some attribute that to a computer system switchover at IB, but who knows. IB is -not- known for back office support.
Did you need to manually request, or did they automatically credit, but just take extra time?
Old Oct 1, 21, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink View Post
Did you need to manually request, or did they automatically credit, but just take extra time?
I had to call AA twice.
Old Apr 4, 22, 11:22 am

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Seems IB service is as good as ever. Had a two segment flight 10/21, originally had my AS number on the outbound IB flights (Return was via BA). No Miles from AS, follow up, and they state that the reservation has already been attached to my AA account, no clue why, but fine, I can just credit to AA. File another claim with AA, nothing after 45 days, file again, get a response this morning. My first segment LAX-MAD (We have no record of this flight), MAD-TLV (Credited to another FFN). So many stupid counterpoints, 1) if my LAX-MAD is not "recorded" how did my subsequent MAD-TLV "Credit", not cancel, and my returns not automatically cancel. I just miraculously showed up in MAD. I still have the paper tickets, stamped and all in my possession and provided this. 2) AS gave me a response stating I can't credit to my AS account, my AS activity shows no earning. AA, states I can't credit, no activity there either. Need to call AA CS, but I don't see a resolution to this, since it all stems from IB being overly incompetent. Any hope/suggestions on how to handle?
Old Jul 20, 22, 7:59 am

Programs: AA PPro 1MM, WOH Globalist
How long to ticket?

I put 2 one-way award tickets on hold a few days ago, JFK-MAD-FLR and LIN-MAD-JFK.

With the former, I had to call and ask a phone agent to manually add MAD-FLR. First one said they weren't allowed to do this and wouldn't even try. Second agent happily added it in 5 minutes.

I went to pay for both of them on Monday and LIN-MAD-JFK ticketed within a few minutes. Almost 48 hours later, JFK-MAD-FLR is still pending.
​​​​​
Is this worth a call to try to figure out if there is an issue? Or do I risk bringing attention to a married segment issue that I somehow convinced an agent to override?

Old Oct 29, 22, 11:59 am

Mileage from Iberia?????

I am the only only having trouble getting miles from Iberia travel? The boarding passes show my AAdvantage #?

Travel was about 40 days ago.
Old Oct 29, 22, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by frickwg1 View Post
I am the only only having trouble getting miles from Iberia travel? The boarding passes show my AAdvantage #?

Travel was about 40 days ago.
Just follow up with AA.
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 31, 22, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Just follow up with AA.
Yes, I done so for 8 IB trips > 30 days ago! 0 miles so far!
Old Nov 3, 22, 5:21 am

Its annoying, but the miles post eventually.
Old Nov 23, 22, 1:09 pm

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Over a week waiting for IB miles to post, submitted a manual entry to AA. Get an email back stating one of my segments has already posted to another FFN, which happened the last time I flew IB and it took me 10 months to resolve. Add in that I still have the physical paper ticket, and nowhere on it does it even show the FFN attached to the ticket. IB is the biggest pain for a JV to credit or get help with anything.
Old Nov 23, 22, 1:59 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
I booked an IB flight through IB, and entered my AA number. Flights posted properly within 5 days to my AA account. This was CDG-MAD-MXP booked on IB ticket stock

Search this Thread