Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Using AAdvantage Award for Iberia Airlines flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 23, 2019, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Securing AAdvantsge Awards on Iberia:

Link to Iberia partner page on aa.com

NOTE: AAdvantage awards on Iberia incur "Carrier Imposed Fees", which though lower than BA also trigger a variety of taxes, and government and airport imposed fees. See post #295 for an example.

NOTE: AA has been experiencing difficulties booking awards on Iberia periodically since 2017.

Link to HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance (assistance booking MileSAAver awards)
Link to AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd) (extensive award rules parsing and links)
Help avoid YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British & IB / Iberia (consolidated)
AA Participating Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)
AA vs. IB comparison / which is better, etc.
Print Wikipost

Using AAdvantage Award for Iberia Airlines flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: LH, BA, AA
I booked an transatlantic on IB with a connection in MAD in U class .... now on hold ... so working for me.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Following up on this thread. Newbie here and I'm having trouble finding award availability (business class) on Iberia through aa.com.

Looking at 2 RT award tickets in J from PHX-MAD (through LAX, or MIA, etc.) in Sep or Oct 2017, 7-9days. We are very flexible but not finding much luck.

Lots of Business MileSAAver availability (57.5K miles) but the Iberia leg almost always shows as economy class. Is biz class really not available?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by jabbathehutt
Lots of Business MileSAAver availability (57.5K miles) but the Iberia leg almost always shows as economy class. Is biz class really not available?
No, its really not available.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by millionmiler
No, its really not available.
Lol
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:22 am

Possible Bug in Booking Iberia/BA Awards?

Hello folks,
For the last few days, I've been trying to book a milesAAver business TATL award on Iberia for end of schedule 2018 (one seat). Availability would show on aa.com and on Expert Flyer, but when I tried to book it would always say "No longer available." Then it would disappear from the list of available flights, only to reappear the next time I searched.

I tried calling in and AAgents could see the seat too, but the same thing happened to them. I tried searching for milesAAver economy TATL awards on Iberia. The same thing happened. It even happened with some BA (but not all, and not necessarily the ones that were IB operated/BA marketed) TATL flights on other routes, both in economy and business.

On several of my calls to AA to try to book seats, I was told "there's a bug" with this. Another time I was told "just keep trying." Last night, the AAgent said "Let's see...I just got a memo about this..." She recommended waiting a week and trying again (!).

This morning I tried again. Didn't work. No longer available. No longer available. No longer available.

Then suddenly, for absolutely no reason at all, the 5th time I repeated the same exact search in 2.5 mins and clicked on the same "no longer available" flight, it worked and I was able to hold it.

I dunno if there's really a bug with BA/IB awards or if I was just lucky/unlucky, but there it is.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:51 pm

Question on Fees - Booking IB with AA miles

Traveling BOS - VIE next April. Found flights on IB with the fees shown below. Except for the Carrier Imposed fees, are the rest all governmental fees that I would not be able to avoid? There seem to be some pretty hefty fees in Austria, but even if I traveled a different airline are they avoidable?

Thanks

Adult base fare (per passenger)
$0.00 USD
CARRIER-IMPOSED FEES
$106.00 USD
PASSENGER FACILITY CHARGE (UNITED STATES)
$4.50 USD
TRANSPORTATION TAX (UNITED STATES)
$36.00 USD
US APHIS USER FEE (UNITED STATES)
$3.96 USD
US CUSTOMS USER FEE (UNITED STATES)
$5.50 USD
US FEDERAL INSPECTION FEE (UNITED STATES)
$7.00 USD
US SECURITY FEE (UNITED STATES)
$5.60 USD
AIR TRANSPORT LEVY (AUSTRIA)
$20.60 USD
AIRPORT SERVICE CHARGE (AUSTRIA)
$49.00 USD
PASSENGER SECURITY CHARGE (AUSTRIA)
$9.90 USD
AVIATION SAFETY AND SECURITY FEE (SPAIN)
$1.40 USD
SECURITY TAX (SPAIN)
$5.20 USD
Total
$254.66 USD
Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you travel on IB, there will be a carrier surcharge and so all the other taxes and fees listed will apply

If you travel on an airline where there are no carrier surcharges, most of the US taxes will not apply
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:46 pm

I've searched alternatives, and find AA to NYC, then AB via Germany (didn't find availability on AB out of BOS for the dates I searched), then return all on AB, shows fees of $112.26 on the round trip. If you find it all on AB, you may do better. What I found also would have an LGA-JFK connection to make, so add cost and hassle there.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by rove312
I've searched alternatives, and find AA to NYC, then AB via Germany (didn't find availability on AB out of BOS for the dates I searched), then return all on AB, shows fees of $112.26 on the round trip. If you find it all on AB, you may do better. What I found also would have an LGA-JFK connection to make, so add cost and hassle there.
What you specced out is my alternative. For some reason there are no AB flights out of BOS in April 2018.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Whilst IB Carrier Imposed Fees are generally lower than BA, they do trigger a number of taxes, government and airport fees.

Help avoid YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British & IB / Iberia (consolidated)
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Just following up to see if anyone has found a solution to IB space not showing up on AA?

Iberia showing loads of business availability ORD-MAD and MAD-ORD over dates that I need but neither expert flyer or AA is seeing this availability.

Super frustrating as I have enough Avios to book one leg but want to use AA miles for the other.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Dsm2m2
Just following up to see if anyone has found a solution to IB space not showing up on AA?

Iberia showing loads of business availability ORD-MAD and MAD-ORD over dates that I need but neither expert flyer or AA is seeing this availability.

Super frustrating as I have enough Avios to book one leg but want to use AA miles for the other.
IB releases more space to their own program members than to partners.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:01 pm

IB business class award travel

I am trying to book AAnytime award travel in May 2018 BOS-MAD-TLV in Iberia business class (to avoid the BA surcharge). Called AA award travel desk, and they could find no availability at all. They could not me tell if the seats hadn't been released yet, or if IB simply doesn't make these seats available.

Has anyone been able to successfully book this route/class/airline as award travel?

Thanks.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
You will never find AAnytime award space on IB -- or on any other AAdvantage partner. AAnytime awards are only offered on an all-AA-metal itinerary.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
You will never find AAnytime award space on IB -- or on any other AAdvantage partner. AAnytime awards are only offered on an all-AA-metal itinerary.
Ok, in that case, same question but for MilesAAver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.