Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fewer upgrades this year for EXP?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
You live in Denver. Much easier to upgrade compared to me in Dallas.

I"m at 18% upgrade rate.
I regularly connect through DFW and have no problems upgrading those flights. Both in and out of DFW.

But that's kinda my point.

You personally having an 18% percent upgrade rate isn't the same as a sweeping statement that "upgrades are a thing of the past."

Just like me having a upgrade rate around 85% isn't the same as a sweeping statement that "upgrades are basically a given."

Upgrades are highly variable and YMMV.
Antarius and laagima like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by Antarius
Partner awards in J and F and last minute Y flights. When CLT - LGA is 750 USD one way, 12500 miles is a steal.

Otherwise, yes, saver J on AA is non existent.
Last minute availability does me zero good when planning a "dream trip". I have to arrange for time off from work, hotels, ground transportation, activities, etc.

"Start planning that dream trip with all the bonus miles you will earn..." Ha. Ha. Ha.
enviroian, AndyAA and pmblinn like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Last minute availability does me zero good when planning a "dream trip". I have to arrange for time off from work, hotels, ground transportation, activities, etc.

"Start planning that dream trip with all the bonus miles you will earn..." Ha. Ha. Ha.
Ok fair enough. Partner J/F then it is.

I'm a bit of a airfare gambler though. My sisters wedding was on the other side of the planet and I booked my CX J flight 5 days before departure. I won't argue that I could get burned and end up paying through the nose, but I have done this several times and ended up well ahead overall.

I'm less unhappy about the issues using miles than listening to the announcement. Air rage inducing, they are.
enviroian and GTITAN like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by Antarius
Ok fair enough. Partner J/F then it is.

I'm a bit of a airfare gambler though. My sisters wedding was on the other side of the planet and I booked my CX J flight 5 days before departure. I won't argue that I could get burned and end up paying through the nose, but I have done this several times and ended up well ahead overall.

I'm less unhappy about the issues using miles than listening to the announcement. Air rage inducing, they are.
Totally agree, to paraphrase Ron Burgundy, "Those announcements do not stay classy."
Old May 23, 2019, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Fine Art Landscape Photographer
On the other side of the spectrum I was in RAP last week and there was 0 people on the upgrade list on the screen in the airport
And I've missed an upgrade out of ICT. On a plane with a 16-seat F cabin. Smaller cities in the Midwest aren't slam dunks for upgrades. I'm pretty sure last year I sat in Y more than once DFW<>CID.

For what it's worth, my upgrade percentage this year is 17% as a Plat. But only flights where I actually request a sticker upgrade are in the denominator. I buy F for longer flights and also sometimes use domestic award redemptions for shorter flights (pre-stealth devaluation, domestic awards occasionally offered excellent value relative to high close-in Y fares) so those aren't upgrade-eligible to begin with.
Old May 23, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Even back in the “Golden days”, upgrades were route and time dependent with elites reporting widely varying upgrade success. I’ve always felt upgrades were a way to fill unsold business seats (key word: unsold) as well as accommodate oversold economy cabins, and not something to count on. My mindset is, if I’m booking economy I expect to fly in economy. An upgrade is just a nice bonus.

On flights longer than 4 hours, I sometimes pay for business if the buy up is reasonable, especially if I can get the 1 seat section on an E170/175/190.
GTITAN likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
This is a dumb question but how does one buy up to premium cabin if you’ve had to book main cabin for work rules.

Ive never seen a buy-up offer/price, so call into EXP?
Old May 23, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
This is a dumb question but how does one buy up to premium cabin if you’ve had to book main cabin for work rules.

Purchased through your company’s TA? You’d have to call the TA to upfare the ticket. Generally, AA won’t do it for you.

You might be able to do a miles + copay upgrade with AA, but it’s possible your TA could prevent that too. Best to call AA to find out the specifics of your situation.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by cpdc1030
I guess our flying patterns are different, and maybe I don't have the reference to the "golden era" of frequent upgrades like you do. I've only been EXP since 2016 and barely scraped by the last two years at just over $12k EQD (140k + EQM though). But I've had good success on both domestic and international systemwide upgrades. I almost always get upgraded on the A321T SFO-JFK, and also get upgraded on most domestic flights that don't touch DFW (but even a few that do). I've been op-up'd on PHL-LHR this year where my SWU wasn't even taken, with successful SWUs on CLT-LHR, LAX-LHR and HKG-LAX.
I'd say you've been pretty lucky!
I am less than 50% UG on SFO-JFK-SFO A321T
Old May 23, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
For us anyway, the 2x EQMs on paid discount F/J is a huge incentive. Last year we bought F tickets for our usual holiday trip, to help us requal for GLD. And this year we've only taken one trip (paid F to Hawaii), but that one trip alone has us well on our way to re-earning GLD. I know GLD isn't what it used to be but it sure is better than nothing. And if it's incentivizing us lowly GLDs to buy up, I imagine that's even more motivation for you EXPs.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by swingaling

Purchased through your company’s TA? You’d have to call the TA to upfare the ticket. Generally, AA won’t do it for you.

You might be able to do a miles + copay upgrade with AA, but it’s possible your TA could prevent that too. Best to call AA to find out the specifics of your situation.
no TA here I’m my own TA and can book whatever I want (within reason - just obviously not a FC ticket domestically).
Old May 23, 2019, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
no TA here I’m my own TA and can book whatever I want (within reason - just obviously not a FC ticket domestically).
then why not book PE directly? And pay the difference between that and Y if needed?

Or if you need to ticket Y, then call AA to upfare. Unfortunately, it isn't available online, although it was discussed here that that functionality is coming soon.
GTITAN likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond

There is an upfare thread that covers this topic: Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd)

You need to call AA to both change the ticket and to price it. Searching for the flights on the web and comparing coach to premium class prices is a good estimate but there can be some pricing variation.
Old May 24, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: Krisflyer
Wow you actually got an upgrade! Havent had the luck, just some priority treatments!
Old May 24, 2019, 1:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
My data points, only missed upgrades this year (some with extenuating circumstances):

1. LGA-PBI (Was #1 on the list and 1 seat was available, but I was traveling with gf so I declined the upgrade)
2. PBI-LGA (Was #1 on the list and 1 seat was available, but I was traveling with gf so I declined the upgrade)
3. LGA-PBI (Was #1 on the list and 1 seat was available, but I was traveling with gf so I declined the upgrade)
4. PBI-LGA (Was #1 on the list, NO seats opened, no one was upgraded)
5. Cleared both of EWR-ORD-MSY but my EWR-ORD flight went tech. I got onto an EWR-CLT flight after EXP desk rerouted me almost as the door closed and obviously couldn't clear onto the EWR-CLT leg.
6. CLT-MSY continuation of that reroute. F was full by the time EXP rerouted me to those flights.
7. PBI-LGA (Was #1 on the list going to the airport, ended up #2 or 3, no one cleared)

So really, if not for IRROPS or traveling with a no status companion, I would have only missed two PBI-LGA flights. Not bad considering it's a regional jet route and F mostly sells out to paid customers on that route, nothing you can do if people are willing to pay for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.