Wiki Posts
Search

Fewer upgrades this year for EXP?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I've only missed a few this year and I am traveling DCA-MIA-DCA weekly on the consultant schedule with a pretty low rolling EQD (probably just over $12k). So, it's very route dependent. I think the 737 MAX grounding has had an impact too.
Yes routes do predict upgrade percentages I agree but I've tried to fly at all different hours at different days of the week across the board and still rarely get upgraded. Just yesterday mid week mid afternoon flight to ATL I was 18 (!) on the upgrade list for a 321S.
GTITAN likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by enviroian
Yes routes do predict upgrade percentages I agree but I've tried to fly at all different hours at different days of the week across the board and still rarely get upgraded. Just yesterday mid week mid afternoon flight to ATL I was 18 (!) on the upgrade list for a 321S.
Yeah it is not easy out of the Fortress Hubs of CLT and DFW for certain. I couldn't get upgraded on a TPA-CLT midweek flight. Now, having said that, a few Saturdays ago, my wife and I were upgraded at T-100 to LGA. Agree though generally. Once upon a time EP on AA or CP on US was almost a sure bet. Now, not quite as much, but I suppose that's the way of things.

Safe Travels
enviroian likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
A tangential question: What good are all these miles if they cannot be used for a flight I want to take?

I have to endure that stupid credit card pitch on almost every flight, touting those "thousands" of bonus miles so I can start planning my "dream trip".

Yeah, right. Good luck with that. My "dream trip" has 0 availability for award or upgrade travel.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
A tangential question: What good are all these miles if they cannot be used for a flight I want to take?

I have to endure that stupid credit card pitch on almost every flight, touting those "thousands" of bonus miles so I can start planning my "dream trip".

Yeah, right. Good luck with that. My "dream trip" has 0 availability for award or upgrade travel.
You're find to use those golden miles on a Milesaver award convoluted routings with connections at the bare MCT or hours on end.
GTITAN likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tomj888
While a lot of what people are saying is true, I also believe that complimentary upgrades are very route specific, time of day specific and equipment specific. Most of my domestic travel has been to "non-hub" locations and luckily I've been upgraded almost every time (ex: LAX-STL. got upgraded at T-100). That said, I believe if I were flying very popular, hub centric routes, I"m sure I would be experiencing what many others are saying and posting. I believe going forward the only loyalty will be based on dollars that you spend for first or biz class. In my mind, If I care and it's important to me, I pay for it. With that mentality, I"m seldom disappointed. Airlines seem to only care about filling up the planes. At the end of the day, if you lower your expectations, it's hard to be mad or disappointed.
Interesting that you mention LAX-STL, because that's a route I take relatively frequently, and whether it's possible to upgrade (as EXP) has become dependent on departure time and plane type. When the A319 is on the route, forget about upgrades. I've been trying to get paid 'I' or 'D' class in advance, for an average of about ~$500-600 one way with reasonable advance purchase and more like $800-$1000 when bought last-minute. When it's a 738, particularly at off-peak times (like the new post-8pm LAX-STL departure), this is basically an automatic T-100 upgrade, even on coach award tickets.

I agree with you about keeping expectations in check. I know that sometimes I'll have to pay to sit up front, even as EXP. It's the same for CKs. You have to know your routes/days/times. Why sweat out an upgrade when there's basically no chance? It's almost amusing to see how miffed some of the traditionalists are when their upgrades don't clear. It's not 2008 -- on a 738 for example, 14 of the 16 J seats won't go to last-minute upgraders - maybe 1 or 2 will on decently competitive routes, and on elite-heavy routes on a Monday/Thursday, forget about it. There'll be some rare gate upgrades when there are misconnects or if Y is oversold and there are open F seats, but you should never count on it, particularly if you aren't in tune with which routes/times give you the best shot.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Many more people are buying F these days given the prices have dropped considerably. If the flight is over 2.5 hours, upfaring is often a better bet than hoping for the elusive upgrade.
My informal poll in the occasion that I am in first would support this. In fact, I am even buying first if traveling along and the fare diffference is not too great, or I have to make a last minute booking at which time the fare difference is minimal.

Would also add that the aircraft used is a factor. I fly a lot on A 319's where upgrades are almost impossible with only 8 FC seats. Even RJ's have more!
Old May 23, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach

Partner awards in J and F and last minute Y flights. When CLT - LGA is 750 USD one way, 12500 miles is a steal.

Otherwise, yes, saver J on AA is non existent.
GTITAN and E55 like this.

Last edited by Antarius; May 23, 2019 at 1:44 pm
Old May 23, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by remedy
I fly a lot on A 319's where upgrades are almost impossible with only 8 FC seats.
I mentioned this upthread and forgot to mention that at least on the A 319 the exit row / MCE give you quite a bit of room. If I'm luck enough to snag an exit row aisle without someone in the middle I'd almost prefer that to sitting in F. I get this quite often on PHX to MKE and back where it isn't always a full load.
E55 likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:35 pm
E55

I've politely declined "come on down" style upgrades in this scenario (but I've also accepted).

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I mentioned this upthread and forgot to mention that at least on the A 319 the exit row / MCE give you quite a bit of room. If I'm luck enough to snag an exit row aisle without someone in the middle I'd almost prefer that to sitting in F. I get this quite often on PHX to MKE and back where it isn't always a full load.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:44 pm

Domestic F fares are quite cheap if you purchase in advance, and from what I was told a few months ago by an AA rep, $-spend has increased across the board.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
My informal poll in the occasion that I am in first would support this. In fact, I am even buying first if traveling along and the fare diffference is not too great, or I have to make a last minute booking at which time the fare difference is minimal.
Same here. If the flight is over 2.5 hours, I almost always just buy the advanced purchase fare in First. It's just not worth betting on an upgrade when I don't fly enough to have EQDs that would put me at the very top. It also gives one the freedom to fly other carriers without having to worry about status.
TheDudeAbides and ericcheung like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards

Would also add that the aircraft used is a factor. I fly a lot on A 319's where upgrades are almost impossible with only 8 FC seats. Even RJ's have more!
This x infinity.

I recently switched from UA to AA, with F fares being so much cheaper a lot of times I just buy them. Also, if I don’t I always check in exactly 24 hours in advance and have tens of dollars upgrades to F offered. This works well while I work towards status this year.

To give you some kind of idea I recently bought a J fare from DSM to ORD to CUN for <$600. Economy was like $330.

Lastly, economy has been good and a lot of business people can justify F on short haul flights.
Old May 23, 2019, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Definitely have noticed this after Q1 of this year (Q1 being slower overall in travel so less competition)......doesn't seem to be any diaspora of CK/EXP to other airlines yet in NYC.

LGA-ORD is my most frequent route and is very CK heavy. Plus there seems to be a lot of movement between the hourly shuttles with people trying to get home earlier. I'm totally fine with MCE on these flights too.....PDB in the AC, snack box with the beef jerky, double bloody mary and a bag of pretzels and you're landing already
Old May 23, 2019, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks for your comments.

On the other side of the spectrum I was in RAP last week and there was 0 people on the upgrade list on the screen in the airport
Old May 23, 2019, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GTITAN
Yeah it is not easy out of the Fortress Hubs of CLT and DFW for certain. I couldn't get upgraded on a TPA-CLT midweek flight. Now, having said that, a few Saturdays ago, my wife and I were upgraded at T-100 to LGA. Agree though generally. Once upon a time EP on AA or CP on US was almost a sure bet. Now, not quite as much, but I suppose that's the way of things.

Safe Travels
I'm surprised as I've never ever missed an upgrade I'm or out of CLT. And this year I've been thru or originating or terminating at least 50 times. I even cleared LAX-CLT last week somehow despite it being J0 when I booked it.

DFW-SFO/SJC are the ones I have missed a couple times.
GTITAN likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.