Wiki Posts
Search

Fewer upgrades this year for EXP?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Fewer upgrades this year for EXP?

In 2017 I had about $25k spend and as result was upgraded on all of my flights for exception of 2 (MIA - MEX, MEX - DFW). Most of the time I cleared few days before the flight so it means EXP + my EQD put me ahead of others. I was upgraded even on popular routes like JFK - SFO. Fast forward to this year and I had $37k EQD and I had no upgrades on LGA - DFW & ORD - LGA. On these flights I was as far back as #8 the day of the flight. Let's assume that there are 3 people who get upgraded prior to day of the flight and it would mean instead of me being in top 3 upgrade places I became #11 and that's with higher spend than previous year. Is there so many more EXP or is it CK that are taking upgrade spots? On LGA - DFW flight there were about a dozen people who went up when CK boarding announcement was made. I would assume that most CK are flying in paid J / F and don't need upgrades.

Your thoughts?
Old May 23, 2019, 9:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Fine Art Landscape Photographer
In 2017 I had about $25k spend and as result was upgraded on all of my flights for exception of 2 (MIA - MEX, MEX - DFW). Most of the time I cleared few days before the flight so it means EXP + my EQD put me ahead of others. I was upgraded even on popular routes like JFK - SFO. Fast forward to this year and I had $37k EQD and I had no upgrades on LGA - DFW & ORD - LGA. On these flights I was as far back as #8 the day of the flight. Let's assume that there are 3 people who get upgraded prior to day of the flight and it would mean instead of me being in top 3 upgrade places I became #11 and that's with higher spend than previous year. Is there so many more EXP or is it CK that are taking upgrade spots? On LGA - DFW flight there were about a dozen people who went up when CK boarding announcement was made. I would assume that most CK are flying in paid J / F and don't need upgrades.

Your thoughts?
More seats sold, some EXP with significantly higher spend, definitely all CK not flying paid J/F. Upgrades are becoming scarcer.
JoeWoodstock and dciolli like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by JDiver
More seats sold, some EXP with significantly higher spend, definitely all CK not flying paid J/F. Upgrades are becoming scarcer.
Remember some CKs are corporate travel managers and are given CK status because of the amount of corporate business they swing towards AA. They themselves may not be allowed premium flying or even fly all that much.
allset2travel likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
upgrades are very rare these days and considered a memory of a by gone era.
tucsnaz likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Originally Posted by enviroian
Indeed, while I have a long list of complaints against what HP/AA has become, as do so many others, this is not a subject limited to them. Before I left AA last year - as an EXP (3MM) - domestic upgrades were becoming very difficult. International ones were even worse.

The airlines want to sell these seats and even as a Diamond MM on DL, upgrades are getting harder and harder it seems. If you really want the upgrade - buy it with miles or $$$$. Even as a top tier Row 1 is frequently what you are left with.
Old May 23, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
While a lot of what people are saying is true, I also believe that complimentary upgrades are very route specific, time of day specific and equipment specific. Most of my domestic travel has been to "non-hub" locations and luckily I've been upgraded almost every time (ex: LAX-STL. got upgraded at T-100). That said, I believe if I were flying very popular, hub centric routes, I"m sure I would be experiencing what many others are saying and posting. I believe going forward the only loyalty will be based on dollars that you spend for first or biz class. In my mind, If I care and it's important to me, I pay for it. With that mentality, I"m seldom disappointed. Airlines seem to only care about filling up the planes. At the end of the day, if you lower your expectations, it's hard to be mad or disappointed.
MCI777, GTITAN, dciolli and 3 others like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by CoMooter
Indeed, while I have a long list of complaints against what HP/AA has become, as do so many others, this is not a subject limited to them. Before I left AA last year - as an EXP (3MM) - domestic upgrades were becoming very difficult. International ones were even worse..
I guess our flying patterns are different, and maybe I don't have the reference to the "golden era" of frequent upgrades like you do. I've only been EXP since 2016 and barely scraped by the last two years at just over $12k EQD (140k + EQM though). But I've had good success on both domestic and international systemwide upgrades. I almost always get upgraded on the A321T SFO-JFK, and also get upgraded on most domestic flights that don't touch DFW (but even a few that do). I've been op-up'd on PHL-LHR this year where my SWU wasn't even taken, with successful SWUs on CLT-LHR, LAX-LHR and HKG-LAX.

Last year I missed my connection PHL-PRG (where I had a systemwide cleared), and the gate agent put me on PHL-LIS in J (only way to get to PRG the same day, LHR/CDG/FRA were all sold out).
Old May 23, 2019, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I'm still batting 95% this year.
E55 likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
92% last year, 94% so far this year. It's highly influenced by routes, times, day of week, etc. A very YMMV situation.
GTITAN and E55 like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
LGA to DFW and ORD tended to be premium heavy routes for business travel days and times. It was that way when I lived in NYC post 2013 and enjoyed EXP.
GTITAN likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I don't track my upgrades - I try but then just don't find the time or desire. That being said I can say that as others have stated so much depends on the route and timing. Anytime I fly PHX to ORD or DFW there is no chance I'm getting an upgrade. Any other route and I typically have a really good chance especially if it isn't a Monday morning hub departure or a Thursday Evening return to the hub.

One other thing that has impacted me is the A319 moving to only 8 F seats.
Score8 likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Many more people are buying F these days given the prices have dropped considerably. If the flight is over 2.5 hours, upfaring is often a better bet than hoping for the elusive upgrade.
tucsnaz likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
Not all true in my experience. YMMV.

Sweeping generalizations cant hope to convey the upgrade situation, which is individually variable based on routes, time and day, aircraft, rolling EQD, and the phase of the Moon. (amongst other factors)
Old May 23, 2019, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by bse118
Not all true in my experience. YMMV.

Sweeping generalizations cant hope to convey the upgrade situation, which is individually variable based on routes, time and day, aircraft, rolling EQD, and the phase of the Moon. (amongst other factors)
You live in Denver. Much easier to upgrade compared to me in Dallas.

I"m at 18% upgrade rate.
dciolli likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I've only missed a few this year and I am traveling DCA-MIA-DCA weekly on the consultant schedule with a pretty low rolling EQD (probably just over $12k). So, it's very route dependent. I think the 737 MAX grounding has had an impact too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.