To CDG on 77W/LHR or 332/PHL

Old May 22, 19, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott/SPG Gold
To CDG on 77W/LHR or 332/PHL

Heading to CDG next week from MIA.

Currently on a sAAver J ticket MIA-JFK-LHR-CDG on a 77W on the TATL leg.

Space opened up PHL-CDG so I can now make a one stop and go TATL on the 332.

Sounds like thatís my best bet, despite no FL in PHL as itís just one connection and itís here in the US.

Thoughts? Never took a 332 before. Anything to be concerned about?

Thanks!
Old May 22, 19, 11:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, MaÓtre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by HofstraJet View Post
Heading to CDG next week from MIA.

Currently on a sAAver J ticket MIA-JFK-LHR-CDG on a 77W on the TATL leg.

Space opened up PHL-CDG so I can now make a one stop and go TATL on the 332.

Sounds like thatís my best bet, despite no FL in PHL as itís just one connection and itís here in the US.

Thoughts? Never took a 332 before. Anything to be concerned about?

Thanks!
Go with the 332. These were the first lie flat all aisle seats in the combined AA fleet (LUS) and though theyíre older theyíre decent and you avoid the LHR interterminal hustle.
Old May 22, 19, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Found this old thread which ends up with the same conclusion: WWFTD - 77W J vs A332 J
Old May 23, 19, 1:04 am

Th one-stop option, avoiding LHR, wins every time with the options you have presented.
Spiff likes this.
Old May 23, 19, 3:46 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Avoid LHR at all costs. Connecting in PHL is easy. Taxes should be less through PHL.
Spiff likes this.
Old May 23, 19, 4:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Yep, the one stop option through PHL hands down. Miles easier than the double connection and LHR shuffle. You can still use the FL in MIA.
GTITAN and Spiff like this.
Old May 23, 19, 6:21 am

332 is a nice seat. Have always found the crew on those LUS ex-PHL European routes to be quite good as well. No complaints. Just don't try to use the BA lounge in PHL! (Or do so at your own peril)
GTITAN likes this.
Old May 23, 19, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
332 is a nice seat. Have always found the crew on those LUS ex-PHL European routes to be quite good as well. No complaints. Just don't try to use the BA lounge in PHL! (Or do so at your own peril)
Oooooh. Iím intrigued. Whatís the issue with the BA lounges?
Old May 23, 19, 9:12 am

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
It is up to you, obviously the 77W is better hard product and you get more quality lounges, but the other option is faster and less hassle, and fewer chances for IRROPS, so I would go with the 332 as well (unless you have a very long layover in PHL).
Old May 23, 19, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. I switched to the PHL option. The LHR transfer is what was causing the most concern and provided for more opportunities for lost bags, IRROPS, etc. Plus I got $30 back.

I intentionally have a long layover at PHL so that I can take a flight during lunchtime when work is quiet and then work in a lounge during the afternoon until the 9 PM flight. This also gives me a buffer if the first flight is delayed or cancelled to find another flight.

Not too concerned about lack of FL - wife isn't with me and I just need a space to sit down and work and AC is fine for that (though I'm very curious about the comment above about BA lounges).
Old May 23, 19, 9:33 am

Oooooh. I’m intrigued. What’s the issue with the BA lounges?
Oh, really just more of an inside joke/running gripe of mine. The BA lounge in PHL is very hit-or-miss about accepting non-BA travelers (AA premium pax and OW elites). Sometimes they are fine with it, per OW rules, and other times they will turn you away, citing "capacity" when the place won't be filling up for another couple hours.

It's not a very exciting lounge to begin with (Centurion is best, and the giant old US club is not bad at all either - in fact, it's far better if what you want to do is work, since you have to love those old US work cubicles), but I just dislike the principle of them taking the liberty of selectively complying with their membership in the alliance. There are a couple threads on it (including my gripes).

I think that overall, I've gotten let in more often than not with an AA J pass (though just barely so), so if you're intrigued, give it a try - does not hurt to ask!
Old May 23, 19, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
Oh, really just more of an inside joke/running gripe of mine. The BA lounge in PHL is very hit-or-miss about accepting non-BA travelers (AA premium pax and OW elites). Sometimes they are fine with it, per OW rules, and other times they will turn you away, citing "capacity" when the place won't be filling up for another couple hours.

It's not a very exciting lounge to begin with (Centurion is best, and the giant old US club is not bad at all either - in fact, it's far better if what you want to do is work, since you have to love those old US work cubicles), but I just dislike the principle of them taking the liberty of selectively complying with their membership in the alliance. There are a couple threads on it (including my gripes).

I think that overall, I've gotten let in more often than not with an AA J pass (though just barely so), so if you're intrigued, give it a try - does not hurt to ask!
I like poking the bear. Will definitely give it a shot and see what happens. Does OWE status matter, or does just the J ticket get me in? I'm OWE Emerald, so if anything that should help.
Old May 23, 19, 5:49 pm

Does OWE status matter, or does just the J ticket get me in? I'm OWE Emerald, so if anything that should help.
I've never tried it with anything other than an AA J ticket, not having high OW status myself (just AA gold). I feel like if you have OWE through a carrier other than AA, in particular if BA, maybe they'll be more likely to let you go, but that's conjecture - no data to support. Just based off the idea that their issue is probably about generally keeping out the masses of AA pax who would otherwise be let in, which is understandable, except again for that whole pesky "alliance" thing...