Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Earning AA AAdvantage Miles on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2019, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Earning American Airlines AAvantage Miles Flying CX / Cathay Pacific Airways (consolidated)
Including known issues (e.g. upgrades) with AA / CX

Earning AAdvantage Miles flying Cathay Pacific Airways

NOTE: Travel on Cathay Pacific and its affiliate airline counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership. However, please refer to aa.com here for fare classes that earn AAdvantage miles, not Cathay Pacific.
  • Economy / coach fares other than Y, B or H on CX do not earn AAdvantage miles

• B and H only earn fractional (75%) credit on AA

• Upgrades may book into ineligible fare classes, causing challenges getting AA to credit the originally purchased fare class

• there are a few fare classes that CX says do not earn AAdvantage miles, whereas aa.com says they will, as do members reporting their experiences here

• JFK-YVR and YVR-JFK do accrue EQ and miles on eligible fares. JFK-YVR-HKG accrues as if nonstop JFK-HKG.

AAdvantage Elite members members traveling on Cathay also enjoy:
  • [*]
If you fly CX as an AA codeshare / marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying on AA.

Flying CX as CX, most discounted economy fare classes do not earn AAdvantage miles; See the chart. See Link to AAdvantage chart on earning miles and EQD flying CX.

Note: the CX website incorrectly indicates no AA miles for E fare; AA.com does and is correct

*Premium Economy fare W on a flight operated by Cathay Pacific will earn an additional 10% class of service bonus with the exception of W fares between Hong Kong and Bangkok, which will not earn a class of service bonus, and Premium Economy R or E, which earn no class of service bonus.
Upgrading to First on CX / Cathay Pacific Airways and U, Z Fare Class Issues

Upgrading a paid Business fare to First on Cathay Pacific Airways puts the flight into fare class "Z", a class that is ineligible for AAdvantage miles accrual (as reflected on the accrual chart) because it is also an award classification for a First Class award.

Upgrading a paid Premium Economy fare to Business puts it into U class, another award fare class that earns no AA miles.

Members have recently reported success at having their upgrades acknowledged as miles-garnering (mid-June 2015).

Originally Posted by BosTravel
I had the same issue. I upgraded from Biz to F using Asia Miles, but left my AA number in the reservation.

The outbound flight credited automatically without intervention.

The inbound flight did not credit and I submitted the Missing Mileage Request. That request got denied due to ineligible fare class. All I did was call the ExecPlat desk and ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, who had record of the denied claim. I explained I paid for Biz, upgraded to F, and provided them with my original ticket number (both ticker numbers were on CX stock). Call took about 5 minutes and miles (and EQM/EQP) posted to the account the next day.
and

Originally Posted by gohima
I just wanted to post the conclusion to my saga, that started with the brilliant idea to upgrade two CX flights in February (yes, 4 months ago).

Well, I Fedex'd a letter to the executive's office, which arrived Friday. Today, I received an email from an "executive liason" who said they agreed that "R" to "U" via an upgrade should be mileage earning and manually adjusted my account to receive credit. Account and status now reflects those flights.

So despite certain aagents and lower-level SUPs saying this is CX's problem and to go pound sand, AA actually can do something about it (albit at a higher level than a regular SUP, I assume). By the phrasing of the answer, I would say this isn't a one time exception but rather what is supposed to happen for these flights.

Godspeed to any other souls on this journey.
Possible snail mail or FedEx to:

Suzanne Rubin
President – AAdvantage Loyalty Program, American Airlines
4333 Amon Carter Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76155
Thanks to nkedel.

Wikipost as of 2018
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Earning AA AAdvantage Miles on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by alphaod
Got denied again. Told us the booking class is not eligible for mileage even when using the original ticket.

I am now wondering if there is an AA desk we can go to get this done because obviously the computers are too stupid to get our mileage.

Alternatively I have gotten printouts from CX indicating original booking classes and notes referencing upgrades… can we email AAdvantage desk and get it done manually? Because obviously them "sending a request" to CX is not working.

We are reaching the six month point soon.
I would recommend sending a private message to JonNYC and see if he can assist. He has significant experience and contacts that could help you on this.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CX upgraded flights didn't credit, AA blames CX for issues

Yeah, I'm surprised he's not chimed in before on this thread.
Old May 2, 2015, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, AC, DL Plat, Amtrk SE, AmEx Plat, Bonvoy Plat (via SPG), HH Gold, Accor Plat, WOH Dis
I had the same issue. I upgraded from Biz to F using Asia Miles, but left my AA number in the reservation.

The outbound flight credited automatically without intervention.

The inbound flight did not credit and I submitted the Missing Mileage Request. That request got denied due to ineligible fare class. All I did was call the ExecPlat desk and ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, who had record of the denied claim. I explained I paid for Biz, upgraded to F, and provided them with my original ticket number (both ticker numbers were on CX stock). Call took about 5 minutes and miles (and EQM/EQP) posted to the account the next day.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:52 am
formerly gohima

Im finally getting around to submitting a letter regarding this, with appropriate documentation.

Would this be the best point of contact and is this the current mailing address? (Info from Elliott.Org

Suzanne Rubin

President of American Airline AAdvantage Program and customer loyalty

Last edited by LAXJetter; Jun 16, 2015 at 11:31 am
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
I'm looking at a Cathay flight and the bottom of the summary page, it says this:

Asia Miles Earned & Other FFPs ?
Asia Miles Asia Miles 17,504
Total Asia Miles 17,504
AAdvantage No

Any idea what that last line means? Credit to AA not available for some reason?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Yahtzee
I'm looking at a Cathay flight and the bottom of the summary page, it says this:

Asia Miles Earned & Other FFPs ?
Asia Miles Asia Miles 17,504
Total Asia Miles 17,504
AAdvantage No

Any idea what that last line means? Credit to AA not available for some reason?
Their web site is not accurate on which flights it shows that for, but yes, CX only credits AA miles in certain fare classes:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...hayPacific.jsp

From above, mile-earning fare classes:
First A, F
Business C, D, I, J
Premium Economy W, R, E
Economy Y, B,H
No Mileage Credit K, M, L, V, Q, S, G, N (and anything else not listed)

Note that AA codeshares (AA flight number, operated by CX) earn miles as normal on AA, regardless of fare class.

The "H" fares (slightly-discounted, semi-flexible) have gotten really expensive, and if you want AA miles on a coach flight on CX your best bet is to buy it as an AA codeshare.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Earning AA AAdvantage Miles on CX / Cathay Pacific Airways (consolidated)

So this would be an E fare which has an asterisk on the AA earning chart. Familiar with that? Promotional premium economy fare for the new BOS-HKG route?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Yahtzee
So this would be an E fare which has an asterisk on the AA earning chart. Familiar with that? Promotional premium economy fare for the new BOS-HKG route?
As best I can tell, the asterisk being there is a typo; there used to be a note that E fares only earned miles "ˆ Effective June 1, 2012".

The note note about 2012 is irrelevant at that point -- we're long past the point of being able to claim flights from 2012 for mileage credit, right? -- and as best I can tell it's just that when they updated the page, they forgot to remove the asterisk.

I've flown both W and E fares, and earned miles on both as expected (I've also seen some AA codeshares on CX Premium Economy, but oddly I've only seen that for flights terminating in HKG, not for continuing flights, and the fares were around $300 higher R/T than the same fare on CX's own site.)

FWIW, I'm a big fan of the CX PEY product, although the update to JL's looks even nicer. Tip: the front row of each cabin has an actual legrest, and is the place to go as long as you don't mind losing the under-seat storage.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nkedel
As best I can tell, the asterisk being there is a typo; there used to be a note that E fares only earned miles "ˆ Effective June 1, 2012".

The note note about 2012 is irrelevant at that point -- we're long past the point of being able to claim flights from 2012 for mileage credit, right? -- and as best I can tell it's just that when they updated the page, they forgot to remove the asterisk.... <snip>
You're correct, I think. The folks who keep the website current seem to occasionally fall on their asterisk.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:30 am
formerly gohima

I just wanted to post the conclusion to my saga, that started with the brilliant idea to upgrade two CX flights in February (yes, 4 months ago).

Well, I Fedex'd a letter to the executive's office, which arrived Friday. Today, I received an email from an "executive liason" who said they agreed that "R" to "U" via an upgrade should be mileage earning and manually adjusted my account to receive credit. Account and status now reflects those flights.

So despite certain aagents and lower-level SUPs saying this is CX's problem and to go pound sand, AA actually can do something about it (albit at a higher level than a regular SUP, I assume). By the phrasing of the answer, I would say this isn't a one time exception but rather what is supposed to happen for these flights.

Godspeed to any other souls on this journey.

Last edited by LAXJetter; Jun 16, 2015 at 11:58 am
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Goodonya, gohima! And thanks for taking the time and effort to keep us informed. ^

If anyone wants to take this on at another level to try to make a change and institutionalize this so when agents refer to policy, perhaps there can be a written exception for upgrades:

Suzanne Rubin
President of American Airline Aadvantage Program and customer loyalty
4333 Amon Carter Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76155
(817) 963-1234
suzanne.rubin <at> aa.com

Note: e-mailing is not necessarily successful. Courier such as FedEx grabs attention, snail mail as well but probably slightly less than courier.

P.S. We've merged this into the existing thread so we avoid information fragmentation.

Thanks! /Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 16, 2015 at 12:54 pm
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium + LT Gold
No Milage Credit After Upgrade?

Flew TPE->HKG->LAX last week and was originally booked in PEY (class E) for both segments. After arriving at TPE airport I was told my original flight to HKG would be delayed and they would place me on an earlier flight. The earlier flight did not have PEY so they put me in business class.

Few days after the trip I noticed the TPE flight never credited to my AA account. Checked my booking on CX website and it says I was put in economy class with a M class ticket (no AA Milage credit). However, the bottom of my boarding pass clearly says J. And of course, I purchased an E class ticket.

My assumption was that regardless of the class of service flown, I am entitled to the miles for the class I paid for. Is this correct? And should I fight back to get what I am entitled?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
On other threads, there is a discussion of issues crediting to AA where upgrades have been obtained (for a variety of reasons)
Ask AA for original credit - supplying the eticket number with E class - and indicating that due to irrops you were upgraded and the underlying ticket was a substitution on the part of CX.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
given you're trying to collect AA miles, the AA forum is probably the most appropriate place for this thread not here.

when this happens with Asia Miles flying on CX metal, the answer is yes you're entitled to them and it's a known issue. You either fill out the form online in your Marco Polo Club/Asia Miles account or call MPC. But I don't think this applies to you since you're trying to collect back (presumably?) missing AAdvantage miles.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:10 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Moving this over to the AA forum as it's about AA mileage claims.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.