Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Sanity Check my 110K decision (F Award on QF) (to merge)

Old May 21, 2019, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Eliciting board experts perspectives on this.

Yesterday I snagged a LAX-MEL First Miles Saver on Qantas for mid February 2020. It's on a five day hold. Departs LAX at 1055PM, arrives MEL 950AM. 15hr 55 minute flight. Obviously looking forward to the F cabin service and the lie-flats. Haven't checked yet in-flight offerings or departure lounge in LAX. But it is an overnight flight (so service offerings may be less?) Still, the lie-flats and three cabin service will be very nice for a 16 hour flight.

So here is where my sanity check is coming in. Same day, there is a 80K Business MilesSaver available on Fiji Air. Departs LAX 1030pm, arrives MEL 1145am. 18hr 15 minute flight. 1 hour connection in NAN (Fiji). Aircrafts listed are 333 and 7M8. Assume the Max will be switched out and both Business cabins would be similar to domestic F. Not Qantas International F obviously, and 8 hours is long (especially 2X). But it is 30K miles difference and only two hours longer total flight time. That 30K is another Business Saver Award ticket from SYD or MEL to ACK, or ACK to NAN, as part of same trip.

I'm leaning towards keeping the Qantas for the overall experience seeming much better (??). I may end up on Fiji Airways Business Award back, unless I buy a Qantas ticket. But for travel time only a couple hours longer and still in a domestic F equivalent type seat/cabin -- still -- it is 30K miles savings. (I did notice there seems a lot of LAX-NAN-SYD or AKL combination Business class award availability across the board (many months of) right now on Fiji Airways. (Kind of wondering why folks aren't snapping up these $80K awards and if the Fiji airways product in general is not considered that good of a deal?)

Looking for thoughts on comparative value from those familiar with the products/trips/comfort. This is my first long haul trans pacific trip. Thanks!

P.S. I used to travel fairly frequently for work but don't any longer. Most likely the ~ 400K miles I have now will be about all that I have until they are gone. At least not significant additions. Now I mainly do short Caribbean flight vacations and DC to BUF a few times a year, and buy flights now based on flight times and costs (not building AA points). i.e., 30K of miles is not entirely negligible, for me to not consider/ask the questions.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Fly the nonstop Qantas. You scored.
jtav559, GTITAN, Gig103 and 13 others like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:12 am

I once spent 100K miles for ORD-FRA in AA 3-class 772 F. A good value relative to CX or JL? No. Terrible! But it was the exact date, time, and route to get me where I needed to be. If you're comfortable with the price do it. I'll be looking into those NAN redemptions, thanks for the heads-up
Old May 21, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by jcatman
Fly the nonstop Qantas. You scored.
This two-sentence answer says it all.
krakendown and donotblink like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: AA Gold
Its going to take a bit more than 30k miles to fly J from Melbourne to Nantucket 😜
Tanic and DCAFly like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: AA PPro
Keep the qantas, you will be able to sleep longer rather than stopover which will be a big hassle of waking up and getting the cabin prepared for landing with all the noise. Hit the easy button and keep Q in F.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:49 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
From the lounge perspective....

QF F lounge at LAX (https://onemileatatime.com/qantas-lounge-lax-review/) will put the Fiji (shared w/ other airlines) lounge (https://onemileatatime.com/los-angel...ge-lax-review/) to shame with one hand tied behind it's back.

If you are into the lounge hopping side of things.... AA FL at T4 is a decent plane spotting location w/ OK buffet and drinks, OW J lounge is also a nice quite spot to relax but not much in terms of outside views, and then a good meal at QF F before you get on board!
Old May 21, 2019, 7:51 am
Original Poster

LOL, Nantucket!

Once the Australia itinerary is nailed down, (working on that now, 10-12 days on Southern coast), will pick up a 25K AA Business Award on Qantas from SYD or MEL to AKL, for a second 10-12 days in New Zealand. Then toying with picking up a 35K Business Award to NAN from AKL. There's a lot of business award availability, at least right now, on both those routes. But as it could be pulled anytime trying to work it quickly.

Will probably end up buying a ticket back from AKL or NAN back to the states, unless something terrific opens up in next few months for an Award inbound.

I'm pretty much sold on the 110K Award Qantas to MEL! :-) :-) The feedback here, and also checking out the Qantas LAX departure lounge online, makes this a pretty easy decision after all. Thanks All!
TravellingSalesman likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: AA PPro
You found a way to actually use your points, on a trip you want, when you can, on a direct flight, in first class on a top carrier, for a good value. Book it and go!
Old May 21, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Dont let the hold expire...you may not come across this gem ever again
Old May 21, 2019, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Done -- Just Purchased !! Unless AA comes back and says this was a "phantom award" hopefully all is good. I think in those cases folks weren't able to actually complete the booking though. Thanks everyone!
teemuflyer likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
I have flown this route on the A380. The QF LAX lounge is great. And being able to lay flat and sleep is great. But the seat was old, weathered, and my flight they kept running out of whatever food item I chose. I would say I felt more like I was in J than F, from a service perspective.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
As others have said, you made a good choice with the QF flight.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Don't even think twice about it. At only 30K more, take QF nonstop. It's not the best First but it is nonstop. We flew this flight in December. Check my trip report if you want to know what to expect.
Qantas First Class to Melbourne SFO777
MikeFly likes this.

Last edited by SFO777; May 21, 2019 at 11:45 am
Old May 21, 2019, 11:19 am

Fiji Airways is angled lay-flat, so in my opinion it's a great upgrade to go with QF. Nice find on a long trip!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.