Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Sanity Check my 110K decision (F Award on QF) (to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sanity Check my 110K decision (F Award on QF) (to merge)

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
As someone who has flown both, admittedly one only as far as Fiji; you definitely made the right choice going with F on Qantas. Enjoy your trip!
Old May 21, 2019, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by BOSishome
It’s going to take a bit more than 30k miles to fly J from Melbourne to Nantucket 😜
But those of us who have been there know that we flew to ACK.
Old May 22, 2019, 7:12 am

getting qantas availability is fantastic, good job.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by rowsign
Fiji Airways is angled lay-flat, so in my opinion it's a great upgrade to go with QF. Nice find on a long trip!
You’ll be happy to know Fiji Airways’ coming A350-900 aircraft will sport the same Rockwell Collins (nee B/E Aerospace) Super Diamond seats you can find on the AA 787-9 and most 772s.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
LOL, Nantucket!

Once the Australia itinerary is nailed down, (working on that now, 10-12 days on Southern coast), will pick up a 25K AA Business Award on Qantas from SYD or MEL to AKL, for a second 10-12 days in New Zealand. Then toying with picking up a 35K Business Award to NAN from AKL. There's a lot of business award availability, at least right now, on both those routes. But as it could be pulled anytime trying to work it quickly.

Will probably end up buying a ticket back from AKL or NAN back to the states, unless something terrific opens up in next few months for an Award inbound.

I'm pretty much sold on the 110K Award Qantas to MEL! :-) :-) The feedback here, and also checking out the Qantas LAX departure lounge online, makes this a pretty easy decision after all. Thanks All!
I would take the 1st class award from US-Australia , but wouldn't spenk 25k for a business award to Auckland

It is about 2 hrs 40 flight from SYD-AKL ; Fares (in USD) in economy start at $151 on Virgin and USD183 on Qantas. The taxes component is $84.80 with fate (on VA) being $64.40

Paying 25k plus $84.80 in taxes for such a route seems poor value

If wanting business class , Virgin offers business class at US$258.18 plus $84.80 and Qantas offers it as US$299.49 plus taxes

25,000 miles to save $300 fares, seems a poor value use of miles
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Dave, thanks for this info. I had put in some sample dates initially and was coming up with business class fares $700-800. I'll re-look at this when I get the number of Australia days nailed down. You're completely right --- 25K miles would not be a good value if $300 seats are available in Business.

SF077 --- loved your report of this flight and what to expect. (Did a double take at the KitKat bar though --- never seen one of them offered in a snack basket. lol.)
Old May 22, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: Free Agent! B6 Mosaic, AA 5MM LT Plat (EXP gone), SPG LT Plat, WN APlus, Hilton Diamond
A bit late since you've already booked, but definitely a good call to go with Qantas, the A380 F product is pretty amazing (done A380 F, A380 J and 747 J several times), and the F lounge in LAX is pretty decent as well, nice meal service if you'd rather sleep for the first part of the flight. Enjoy the trip!
Old May 22, 2019, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Dave, thanks for this info. I had put in some sample dates initially and was coming up with business class fares $700-800. I'll re-look at this when I get the number of Australia days nailed down. You're completely right --- 25K miles would not be a good value if $300 seats are available in Business.
Aus<---->NZ trans Tasman economy coach fares can be Au/NZ $200-300 (~US$140-$210) one way. Or less or more. Increased leg room/exit row for ~$30 extra make the ~3:00hr flight a little more comfortable. The aircraft on the TT route vary from economy only to the EK A380 (SYD-CHC) with all its first class bling. Many airlines (QF, NZ, VA, JQ, EK, CI, LA, SQ) and Au NZ cities offer TT flights. There are far better NZ (non stop) destination than AKL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.