Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Oversold Business class on our flight this week, we lost award seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Oversold Business class on our flight this week, we lost award seats

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 8:58 pm

Assuming availability, I’ll place my wager on the ORD BA reroute. Maybe the DTW agent will slip up and actually help a pax instead of following policy and kicking the can down the road for PHL to handle. Granted, it’s a long shot.
linglingfool likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I strongly suspect the agents at DTW will kick the can over to PHL to "fix" the problem. They'll say "we show you confirmed in business, you can get your boarding pass at the gate in PHL."
Not sure how long the connection is, but time obviously works against OP. Maybe PHL-MAN is the best option at that point, if there are even any seats left by then. Or maybe they could get OP on something like PHL-AMS-EDI, using KL on the second segment (I haven't checked timing or availability)
i agree. And PHL is the MAD of the US in terms of worthless staff (had the same .... happen with IB)

So be cautious of them trying to punt it down stream.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by Colin
Plan C requires only a 2PM arrival time at AA DTW ticketing
You’ll know in an hour or two if you get a FIM to UA for 455pm dep to EWR
Limited time will be to your benefit in focusing the AA agent
Honestly I think the UA option is unlikely to materialize. There are currently only 2 J seats and given how UA clears GPUs and does aggressive FCM it seems not reliable that within a few hours of flight time those seats will still be available...

Im putting my money on OP gets original seats if crew rest ends up not needed or will be downgraded to Y because there is not an option to go via other carriers in J on an acceptable routing. They will VDB someone in Y if needed to get OP a pair of seats but probably won’t need to given no shows, misconnects, etc

linglingfool and wrp96 like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme

I'm only 20 minutes away from DTW, part of me wants to show up tomorrow and see how this plays out in person.

That's an FTer!
Old May 21, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
But ... I don't think there are good options from LHR to EDI. Generally the availability tomorrow morning is either zero or one seat. So ... while getting to LHR would normally be fine, its not a good solution here.
OP would be connecting on 5/23. At least 2 J seats available for sale on every BA LHR-EDI flight after 1PM, and a few available in the morning.

OP, I like your order -- good job being prepared! As others have said, I have never met a good gate agent in PHL, so if you do wind up downstream, go to the club and have them sort you there.
wrp96 and curranch90 like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
This thread is better than anything on that box in your living room that you turn on with a remote.
moondog, SS255, SFO777 and 10 others like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Well, PHL-MAN is down to J3, and PHL-EDI is completely zeroed out in both cabins. BA ORD-LHR is still showing J2.

Hope things work out, but I think this illustrates the risk of waiting to resolve things at the airport.
wrp96 and curranch90 like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by Antarius
Under normal circumstances, yes. If they screwed up or IRROPS, then they can make magic happen. AA and BA have a JV - they can put you on that flight.

I would call back. also ORD-LHR on BA 744 > AA 757
We had booked almost a year in advance F from USA to Norway and back for last year, on BA with AA points. All set, double checked relatively frequently.
Then (at least not at the very last minute), I saw a schedule change. Problem was, the first flight of the two flights home now departed before our cruise was even scheduled to dock, never mind allowing time to disembark, taxi over, etc. We had allowed quite a few hours originally.
And it wasn't even our planned routing.

It turned out that the first flight, direct to LHR (from where we had a non-stop home), had been... discontinued. Poof.
Bottom line, we threw a fit (gently, of course!), and lo and behold, we suddenly had tickets on a NON-partner airline to get us to another city where we could at least get to LHR the same day. It meant three flights rather than two, but at least those flights actually existed.

Point is, because BA totally discontinued the flight we had been ticketed/confirmed on, they did indeed do "what it took" aka "made magic happen" to get us vaguely close to our original schedule and routing, even though it included a flight on a total non-partner. We obviously don't know "how" they "purchased" the two tickets for us on that flight (cash? "professional courtesy" or airline equivalent? or ?).

But we did have to claim our luggage, before and after the middle non-partner flight, as there was, so they claimed, no way to arrange the baggage straight through. Not a problem.

GC
Old May 22, 2019, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I strongly suspect the agents at DTW will kick the can over to PHL to "fix" the problem. They'll say "we show you confirmed in business, you can get your boarding pass at the gate in PHL."
This is spot on. As the OP is still confirmed in J/C class for PHL-EDI there is close to zero chance that a DTW agent will rebook the OP - let alone rebook to BA or issue a FIM to allow the OP to travel OAL. It is not going to happen. Period. No sane agent at DTW would do that as any unassigned seats is likely to resolved at the gate in PHL by e.g. no-show, misconnections, blocked seats becoming available etc. May I remind you that thousands of times each day pax receive a BP without seat assignment at check-in at the initial departure point, and pax will have to proceed to the gate of the onward flight to get a new BP with seat assignment. If agents were to rebook pax just because of no seat being assigned for the onward flight, it would turn into chaos.

I'm still very confident that the OP will be able to board the AA flight to EDI - and with seats in J/C class.

Last edited by SK AAR; May 22, 2019 at 3:17 am
Old May 22, 2019, 3:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
Point is, because BA totally discontinued the flight we had been ticketed/confirmed on, they did indeed do "what it took" aka "made magic happen" to get us vaguely close to our original schedule and routing, even though it included a flight on a total non-partner. We obviously don't know "how" they "purchased" the two tickets for us on that flight (cash? "professional courtesy" or airline equivalent? or ?).
Since this was a BA operated flight , BA was required under EC261/2004 to rebook the passenger at the earliest opportunity - also , if this only happened within 14 days of departure, then likely eligible for compensation of EUR300/EUR600 too

Unfortunately for the OP, EC261 only applies to AA for flights departing Europe , whilst for BA the regulation applies both to and from Europe
MSPeconomist, wrp96 and curranch90 like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by linglingfool
OP would be connecting on 5/23. At least 2 J seats available for sale on every BA LHR-EDI flight after 1PM, and a few available in the morning.

If you do end up on the LHR route, don't let a lack of J seats on the LHR/EDI leg hang it up. Y for a 300-mile flight is the least of the down-sides.
linglingfool and curranch90 like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 6:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Well, PHL-MAN is down to J3, and PHL-EDI is completely zeroed out in both cabins. BA ORD-LHR is still showing J2.

Hope things work out, but I think this illustrates the risk of waiting to resolve things at the airport.
It's too bad that none of those phone agents and supervisors the OP spent hours talking with were able to simply protect OP on the PHL-MAN flight.
curranch90 likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's too bad that none of those phone agents and supervisors the OP spent hours talking with were able to simply protect OP on the PHL-MAN flight.
Totally agree.

PHL-MAN J2 now.

PHL-EDI zeroed out and still showing 4 AB blocked.
Old May 22, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
You would think someone at AA would want to avoid this possible public relations train wreck
curranch90 likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
The first flight with two seats available out of lhr to Edinburgh is at 320 so lhr isn't a good option.

there are still two J seats available to Manchester. I am assuming because of all the open J seats, as was offering lbfu at checkin which is why it dropped.

But ... plenty of opportunities for misconnects and I'm also skeptical as to why those seats are blocked.
curranch90 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.