Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Oversold Business class on our flight this week, we lost award seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Oversold Business class on our flight this week, we lost award seats

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
£76.50/person is "outrageously high"?
I was gonna say - if I was OP I would take this option in a heartbeat. I wonder if AA would either reimburse the cost of the train ticket either in cash or as a voucher for future use. I would guess not, but I sure as hell would ask.

On an unrelated note, is it just me or do we read stories like this somewhat regularly? Meaning folks who've redeemed miles for J tend to be the first ones involuntarily downgraded. I'm sure AA has no problem overselling J because the folks paying top dollar aren't going to be the ones downgraded. Pretty shady practice by AA (if that's indeed what they're doing), but not at all surprising.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by curranch90
Booked two sAAver business seats back in December departing this Wednesday DTW - PHL - EDI. Picked our seats at time of reservation, have since picked our meals. Logged in today to find that we no longer have seats assigned. Called AA and they said that the flight somehow got oversold and that "there was a schedule change that opened up your seats for someone else to book". Talked to an initial agent and then the "booking supervisor". No biz availability left, nor any the day before. No availability on partners for them to transfer us to on original date or the day before. Have been told the best course of action is to either have them move us to economy now or show up at the airport and "see what happens". (With the implication that getting moved down a class at the airport would come with better compensation) Has anyone had a similar situation? Resolution?
@curranch90 - to the extent you're comfortable with the idea, PM me your reservation locator and your last name, someone curious to take a look.
JDiver, Dad to Rei, SS255 and 12 others like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
OP, since your new on may not know Jon, their isn’t anyone I’d rather have look into it for me than JonNYC.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by no1cub17
On an unrelated note, is it just me or do we read stories like this somewhat regularly? Meaning folks who've redeemed miles for J tend to be the first ones involuntarily downgraded. I'm sure AA has no problem overselling J because the folks paying top dollar aren't going to be the ones downgraded. Pretty shady practice by AA (if that's indeed what they're doing), but not at all surprising.
The cases I've seen with J oversold, when it came down to it, the person chosen is the person originally assigned the seats that went missing (such as when a FAM takes 2A, the person in 2A gets booted, no matter how they paid for the ticket). In the OP's case, they were in 4A and 4B and those happen to be the seats that are blocked on every upcoming PHL-EDI flight.

I do think though that the fact the OP is on award tickets is part of the reason AA isn't trying to fix it in advance.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by JonNYC
@curranch90 - to the extent you're comfortable with the idea, PM me your reservation locator and your last name, someone curious to take a look.
OP probably cannot PM you due to having a new account. Mods might be able to override this. If not, maybe OP can hit your twitter name in your signature and send you the details there
Old May 21, 2019, 2:52 pm
Suspended

PM received and information in the process of being passed along
steve64, Spiff, roberto99 and 29 others like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Thank you for being so willing to help others.
Old May 21, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
£76.50/person is "outrageously high"?
You could see it as that when FlyBE can be had for about £35 but if you buy the day before then some trains can be had for half the anytime price so if OP ends up on a MAN flight then an online train ticket purchase would be a good idea. You can pay £150 for the train if you want First class but you do get tea and a biscuit as well as more space. At least starting from Manchester Airport gives you a chance at a seat!
Old May 21, 2019, 3:14 pm
Suspended

I'm having trouble maintaining contact with the OP via the PM system here (probably the new user thing mentioned above) and need some additional info..

Edit to add, disregard, contacted
@curranch90-- on the chance that you run out of PMs, I can be contacted at https://twitter.com/xJonNYC

You show as booked in business on that flight, so, in answer to your question, under no circumstances should you, in advance, accept economy, you don't need to. I'm separately trying to find out the status of those seats, why they are blocked on these flights, etc. But you are most certainly entitled to business class transportation as everyone else has pointed out, hoping to find out more soon.
dcmike, GTITAN, Andriyko and 7 others like this.

Last edited by JonNYC; May 21, 2019 at 3:30 pm Reason: got PM
Old May 21, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by wrp96
The cases I've seen with J oversold, when it came down to it, the person chosen is the person originally assigned the seats that went missing (such as when a FAM takes 2A, the person in 2A gets booted, no matter how they paid for the ticket). In the OP's case, they were in 4A and 4B and those happen to be the seats that are blocked on every upcoming PHL-EDI flight.

I do think though that the fact the OP is on award tickets is part of the reason AA isn't trying to fix it in advance.
I wonder if anyone can explain why 4A/B is consistently showing as blocked for this and other 757 routes. I randomly checked a BSB-MIA and MIA-UIO flight next week (both 757) and it also shows 4A/B as blocked on both.

Are they simply blocking these seats for pilot rest? If so, why was OP ever able to select them to begin with?
Old May 21, 2019, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by swingaling

I wonder if anyone can explain why 4A/B is consistently showing as blocked for this and other 757 routes. I randomly checked a BSB-MIA and MIA-UIO flight next week (both 757) and it also shows 4A/B as blocked on both.

Are they simply blocking these seats for pilot rest? If so, why was OP ever able to select them to begin with?
They are crew rest, if it's a flight that doesn't require a third pilot they won't be blocked, for example sometimes out of JFK they can go to LHR on two pilots and that's the judgement of the captain, sometimes they'll request a third pilot depending on the operation if they expect delays.

However, I have no explanation for why they were ever/recently available for an international 757 like this if that's the case.

On this flight business is technically oversold by 2 so usually they compensate and reroute somehow but usually try to take volunteers first, but it's looking like the OP will have to scribble down some of the best info from the thread and get this done at the airport. Can't see any harm in calling tonight too (I mean they can clearly see that the flight is oversold and seats will not miraculously open up, barring a cancellation), but, best I can tell, airport is where it will need to happen.
Still waiting for one other person to get back to me.
MSPeconomist, wrp96 and krakendown like this.

Last edited by JonNYC; May 21, 2019 at 4:01 pm
Old May 21, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MADPhil
You could see it as that when FlyBE can be had for about £35 but if you buy the day before then some trains can be had for half the anytime price so if OP ends up on a MAN flight then an online train ticket purchase would be a good idea. You can pay £150 for the train if you want First class but you do get tea and a biscuit as well as more space. At least starting from Manchester Airport gives you a chance at a seat!
I would also check Flybe as well as the train. It looks like the 12:15 Flybe nonstop MAN-EDI on 23 May is £78.60 for hand-baggge only (or £108.60 including a checked bag and seat assignment). At that price, I'd probably take the flight over the train.
curranch90 likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Colin
an AA agent at DTW absolutely has the ability to relatively painlessly issue a FIM to UA in J

upon request after travel, AA customer service will absolutely issue miles or a voucher in response to this fact pattern
This is no longer the case. While AA has not confirmed it, there is a good deal of reporting here as to internal policy guidance issued by AA regarding when it will rebook within OW, and other alliances. As I recall, this does not fit those patterns, all of which are based on status, fare basis, and class of service.

I would not count on an AA counter agent issuing an e-FIM to UA to beat a downgrade which can be "cured" with a miles refund.

I certainly would not count on it if I took the position that there is no way I am flying Y, but I do want to travel.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
This is no longer the case. While AA has not confirmed it, there is a good deal of reporting here as to internal policy guidance issued by AA regarding when it will rebook within OW, and other alliances. As I recall, this does not fit those patterns, all of which are based on status, fare basis, and class of service.
Thats for IRROPS and schedule irregularity, reported by me, of course:

HOWEVER, this is an overbooking of an individual flight-- different thing.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
This is one of the last international flights out of PHL -- the PHL-MAN and PHL-EDI ... so wouldn't be too confident about misconnects. And, it is even in the back.

Also, going through LHR really isn't a good option although the AA/BA 747 code share has two J seats available. Looks like all the morning flights from LHR to Edinburgh are sold out.

Assuming no misconnects, PHL-MAN would be the best option.

Curious -- does AA have the ability to provide a train voucher?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.