Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Oversold Business class on our flight this week, we lost award seats

AA Oversold Business class on our flight this week, we lost award seats

Old May 21, 19, 4:45 pm
  #106  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: MSN
Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Posts: 3,367
Originally Posted by flyingeph12 View Post
I would also check Flybe as well as the train. It looks like the 12:15 Flybe nonstop MAN-EDI on 23 May is 78.60 for hand-baggge only (or 108.60 including a checked bag and seat assignment). At that price, I'd probably take the flight over the train.
It is a scenic train ride if OP can stay awake
MSPeconomist likes this.
MADPhil is offline  
Old May 21, 19, 4:52 pm
  #107  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DEN/BDL/LGA/HPN
Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Posts: 5,174
Originally Posted by MADPhil View Post
It is a scenic train ride if OP can stay awake
OP will have had a restful night in a lie flat 763 seat

And, of course, a perfect cuppa with a biscuit
C17PSGR is offline  
Old May 21, 19, 4:59 pm
  #108  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC,SFO
Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 2,684
Originally Posted by MADPhil View Post
It is a scenic train ride if OP can stay awake
Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
OP will have had a restful night in a lie flat 763 seat

And, of course, a perfect cuppa with a biscuit
I've only done the train from London to Edinburgh, so can't comment on the scenery of the Manchester to Edinburgh route.
I agree the train is a good option, especially since it stops right at the Airport. But it is slower than a plane, and realistically, the earliest (direct) train is at 12:10 (although 10:10 might be doable, if a bit risky).

If the train ride is scenic, wouldn't the plane ride be scenic as well (assuming no cloud cover)?
flyingeph12 is offline  
Old May 21, 19, 5:26 pm
  #109  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: LAX-SNA
Programs: BA Gold, AF Silver, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT
Posts: 19,200
Originally Posted by flyingeph12 View Post
If the train ride is scenic, wouldn't the plane ride be scenic as well (assuming no cloud cover)?
No cloud cover? In the UK?
SFO777 is offline  
Old May 21, 19, 5:36 pm
  #110  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: MSN
Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Posts: 3,367
Originally Posted by flyingeph12 View Post
I've only done the train from London to Edinburgh, so can't comment on the scenery of the Manchester to Edinburgh route.
I agree the train is a good option, especially since it stops right at the Airport. But it is slower than a plane, and realistically, the earliest (direct) train is at 12:10 (although 10:10 might be doable, if a bit risky).

If the train ride is scenic, wouldn't the plane ride be scenic as well (assuming no cloud cover)?
It certainly would if the view is clear but the view from the air is quite different. The train route from Manchester to York is pretty good, though I may be prejudiced by having grown up in the area. After that it is the same line as from London. One virtue of the train is that TPE give you a three hour grace period for a delayed flight if you are on a cheap(er) advance ticket.
flyingeph12 likes this.
MADPhil is offline  
Old May 21, 19, 5:45 pm
  #111  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
Thanks again to everyone that has provided advice and ideas! Your willingness to help a stranger is amazing!

I did attempt OLCI this evening and as @JonNYC predicted, I received the same error message that I've been getting indicating no seats available. I did set up an EF free trial to alert me of any changes. I plan to call AA again tonight though not really expecting anything. Assuming that expectation holds, tomorrow's plan is:
  • Get to DTW by 9:30AM
  • Plan A: Magic happens and they fix it on the existing flight
  • Plan B: Push for them to book me on BA via ORD
  • Plan C is push for a FIM. (Won't say FIM just politely reiterate that I know it's within their power to re-book me in J on a different carrier) I tried to put the below list together of flights with J availability tomorrow from DTW that seemed reasonable.
  • Plan D eventually accept Y if offered with solid compensation (Though I'm not really sure what to ask for above and beyond a full points refund?). I also understand that they don't have to do this and can just put me in Y with the fare difference...
  • Worst Case for me - fly to MAN and either fly or train on my own dime and try to get reimbursed later. We are traveling with hiking gear and have a rather tight itinerary that needs us in our rental car by midday 23rd if at all possible... Would really like to get there on the planned day/time and avoid the hastle of another flight/train ride... Any other type of trip a train ride would be cool but it doesn't fit well into our current game plan
If I have FIM success (apologies if this excel formats poorly once I click post): <defective URL deleted>
JDiver, moondog, enviroian and 7 others like this.

Last edited by JDiver; May 21, 19 at 6:11 pm Reason: Deleted nonfunctioning URL
curranch90 is offline  
Old May 21, 19, 6:28 pm
  #112  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: STL
Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 94
A reference point. I had an AA award ticket XXX-DFW, and a separate BA award ticket DFW-LHR. Weather delays in XXX meant that we were seriously delayed at XXX and would not make the connection at DFW. At the Admirals Club I was told SOL as there were no award tickets available DFW to LHR for the next few weeks. I asked them to contact the One World Help Desk, which they did. Lo and behold they opened up two seats on the BA flight for the next day (which was the first connection that we could now make). Although we had award tickets we were booked into revenue tickets for the DFW to LHR portion and even got frequent flier miles for that sector. So, the message is that they are not dependent upon award seats to get you to the final destination if something happens out of your control.
Furby is offline  
Old May 21, 19, 6:35 pm
  #113  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: STL
Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 94
One other point. I live in the US but come from the Glasgow/Edinburgh area. My advice is that if it comes down to it, take the EDI flight in Y rather than a J flight somewhere that requires a train or car connection. First a walk up train ticket will be very expensive. Second, you will be a lot more tired doing this rather than flying Y direct to EDI. I have done that exact route and while the train ride isn't bad, it makes for a very long and tiring day. Plus, you will then need a taxi to get to your rental car, if you are picking up at EDI airport.

If you can connect via LHR, and fly to EDI with a reasonable connection then go for it.
Furby is offline  
Old May 21, 19, 6:48 pm
  #114  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DEN/BDL/LGA/HPN
Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Posts: 5,174
But ... I don't think there are good options from LHR to EDI. Generally the availability tomorrow morning is either zero or one seat. So ... while getting to LHR would normally be fine, its not a good solution here.
C17PSGR is offline  
Old May 21, 19, 6:50 pm
  #115  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC,SFO
Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 2,684
Originally Posted by curranch90 View Post
Thanks again to everyone that has provided advice and ideas! Your willingness to help a stranger is amazing!

I did attempt OLCI this evening and as @JonNYC predicted, I received the same error message that I've been getting indicating no seats available. I did set up an EF free trial to alert me of any changes. I plan to call AA again tonight though not really expecting anything. Assuming that expectation holds, tomorrow's plan is:
  • Get to DTW by 9:30AM
  • Plan A: Magic happens and they fix it on the existing flight
  • Plan B: Push for them to book me on BA via ORD
  • Plan C is push for a FIM. (Won't say FIM just politely reiterate that I know it's within their power to re-book me in J on a different carrier) I tried to put the below list together of flights with J availability tomorrow from DTW that seemed reasonable.
  • Plan D eventually accept Y if offered with solid compensation (Though I'm not really sure what to ask for above and beyond a full points refund?). I also understand that they don't have to do this and can just put me in Y with the fare difference...
  • Worst Case for me - fly to MAN and either fly or train on my own dime and try to get reimbursed later. We are traveling with hiking gear and have a rather tight itinerary that needs us in our rental car by midday 23rd if at all possible... Would really like to get there on the planned day/time and avoid the hastle of another flight/train ride... Any other type of trip a train ride would be cool but it doesn't fit well into our current game plan
If I have FIM success (apologies if this excel formats poorly once I click post): <defective URL deleted>
Best of luck, and let us know how it turns out. Have a good trip!
JDiver, bbbb and SFO777 like this.
flyingeph12 is offline  
Old May 21, 19, 7:12 pm
  #116  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Posts: 17,543
I have a bad feeling about this. I hope he doesn’t get stuck in Y. I see AA giving a face palm at the airport and best case he gets a refund in the miles between J and Y (best case as in AA’s best case).

I hope the OP proves me wrong!
enviroian is offline  
Old May 21, 19, 7:19 pm
  #117  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 4,175
Originally Posted by curranch90 View Post
Thanks again to everyone that has provided advice and ideas! Your willingness to help a stranger is amazing!

I did attempt OLCI this evening and as @JonNYC predicted, I received the same error message that I've been getting indicating no seats available. I did set up an EF free trial to alert me of any changes. I plan to call AA again tonight though not really expecting anything. Assuming that expectation holds, tomorrow's plan is:
  • Get to DTW by 9:30AM
  • Plan A: Magic happens and they fix it on the existing flight
  • Plan B: Push for them to book me on BA via ORD
  • Plan C is push for a FIM. (Won't say FIM just politely reiterate that I know it's within their power to re-book me in J on a different carrier) I tried to put the below list together of flights with J availability tomorrow from DTW that seemed reasonable.
  • Plan D eventually accept Y if offered with solid compensation (Though I'm not really sure what to ask for above and beyond a full points refund?). I also understand that they don't have to do this and can just put me in Y with the fare difference...
  • Worst Case for me - fly to MAN and either fly or train on my own dime and try to get reimbursed later. We are traveling with hiking gear and have a rather tight itinerary that needs us in our rental car by midday 23rd if at all possible... Would really like to get there on the planned day/time and avoid the hastle of another flight/train ride... Any other type of trip a train ride would be cool but it doesn't fit well into our current game plan
If I have FIM success (apologies if this excel formats poorly once I click post): <defective URL deleted>
Plan B is a double-connect, skip and focus on the FIM to UA

Plan C requires only a 2PM arrival time at AA DTW ticketing
You’ll know in an hour or two if you get a FIM to UA for 455pm dep to EWR
Limited time will be to your benefit in focusing the AA agent

Plan D is going to be hard to get comp at the gate.
Try, but expect comp to be a post hoc matter w/ customer service

Plan MAN you could pickup rental car in MAN and drive 200 miles to Scotland


Colin is offline  
Old May 21, 19, 8:31 pm
  #118  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 82,313
Originally Posted by Colin View Post


Plan B is a double-connect, skip and focus on the FIM to UA

Plan C requires only a 2PM arrival time at AA DTW ticketing
You’ll know in an hour or two if you get a FIM to UA for 455pm dep to EWR
Limited time will be to your benefit in focusing the AA agent

Plan D is going to be hard to get comp at the gate.
Try, but expect comp to be a post hoc matter w/ customer service

Plan MAN you could pickup rental car in MAN and drive 200 miles to Scotland


That would be a lot of driving on the wrong side of the road to do after a TATL flight as well as the stress of the oversell situation. If OP's rental car is prepaid, the cost is likely to be more than what could be saved by avoiding a train, etc.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old May 21, 19, 8:39 pm
  #119  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 23,058
I strongly suspect the agents at DTW will kick the can over to PHL to "fix" the problem. They'll say "we show you confirmed in business, you can get your boarding pass at the gate in PHL."
Not sure how long the connection is, but time obviously works against OP. Maybe PHL-MAN is the best option at that point, if there are even any seats left by then. Or maybe they could get OP on something like PHL-AMS-EDI, using KL on the second segment (I haven't checked timing or availability)
ijgordon is offline  
Old May 21, 19, 8:44 pm
  #120  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: MSN
Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Posts: 3,367
Originally Posted by MADPhil View Post
It certainly would if the view is clear but the view from the air is quite different. The train route from Manchester to York is pretty good, though I may be prejudiced by having grown up in the area. After that it is the same line as from London. One virtue of the train is that TPE give you a three hour grace period for a delayed flight if you are on a cheap(er) advance ticket.
Further research reveals that the Edinburgh route goes up the West Coast line, I use the Middlesborough train hence my thoughts about York. It's probably still pretty scenic anyway, it would be hard to avoid scenery in those parts. Hopefully AA don't need the seats and OP gets to fly directly anyway.
MADPhil is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread