Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Oversold Business class on our flight this week, we lost award seats

AA Oversold Business class on our flight this week, we lost award seats

Old May 21, 19, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by flyingeph12 View Post
Totally agreed. The first part of my response was really half joking / stated with wry amusement.
It wasn't lost on me, but I think it will be on most

My first ever revenue J flight was in a situation where the FAA's data center caught fire and the entire northeastern corridor was essentially shut down, so I was going to misconnect at JFK. Rerouted by AA onto BA metal with a promise I'd get taken care of at the gate by BA and put in J, even though the agent had assigned a Y seat to me. Of course, I wasn't taken care of, and wound up sitting in Y for a trip that was less than 36 hours. Miserable and tired the whole time, and vowed to never again leave a ticket counter without a reissue having been completed to my satisfaction, so I can feel for the OP.
Old May 21, 19, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by carlosdca View Post
I was talking about volunteering for a voucher and re-booking as they usually do at the gate to open up seats.
Don't they do this when business is overbooked? (just as they do with economy)

So what you are saying is that when there is an overbooked situation in business, the gate agents start to automatically downgrade pax to Y? I did not know that.
USA DOT regulations require airlines to ask for volunteers in order to avoid IDB situations but they are not required to do this for involuntary downgrades.
Old May 21, 19, 12:17 pm

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Originally Posted by carlosdca View Post
I don't understand the fuzz.
There was a schedule change and the OP lost the assigned seats.
So this is an issue of unassigned seats nothing else?
The OP still has a ticket and is booked in business.
Most of the times, this resolves itself as there will be seats available at check-in.
Or OP has to go to the gate and GA will call volunteers to give up their business seats.
If no volunteers show up OP will be re-booked (just like a revenue pax, aaward inventory is irrelevant in this case?) and compensated according to IDB policies.
Do pax on overbooked flights get automatically and involuntarily bumped to economy at check-in? I had never heard of this.
This is absolutely spot on. It is storm in a cup of tea. The OP is confirmed in J class and will most likely travel in J class as originally booked.

In the unlikely event that the OP is presented with a BP in Y for PHL-EDI ask to be rerouted - it has already been established that there are plenty of seats PHL-MAN.
Old May 21, 19, 12:20 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by flyingeph12 View Post
The other thing you might want to do is use ExpertFlyer to set seat alerts on the occupied seats in the business cabin on your PHL-EDI cabin. This will alert you via email if the seat opens up.

If you haven't used ExpertFlyer before, you can sign up for a free 5-day trial. Or I think the Basic service ($4.99/month) allows up to 30 seat alerts.
I set an alert for the OP and will post here if something opens up
Old May 21, 19, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA/US - PlatinumPro; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
This is absolutely spot on. It is storm in a cup of tea. The OP is confirmed in J class and will most likely travel in J class as originally booked.

In the unlikely event that the OP is presented with a BP in Y for PHL-EDI ask to be rerouted - it has already been established that there are plenty of seats PHL-MAN.
And my problem with this advice is that it's done at the airport where inventory has been massively depleted. They will tell you, take your coach seats or we'll gladly refund you the remainder of your trip.
Spiff likes this.
Old May 21, 19, 12:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
@moderator(s)
Please eliminate the OP's newbie post cap, and advise. This thread is extremely useful, and we value the OP's input.
This isn't something a moderator can do; at least I am not able to do this. However I have raised the issue with our the technical team, asking them to intervene.

Meanwhile I merged 2 of the OP's posts together, as they were quite similar, which should give them 1 extra post.
MSPeconomist, wrp96 and BThumme like this.
Old May 21, 19, 12:55 pm

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer View Post
And my problem with this advice is that it's done at the airport where inventory has been massively depleted. They will tell you, take your coach seats or we'll gladly refund you the remainder of your trip.
On the contrary, most likely other pax will misconnect and this flight will leave with empty seats. That is the exact reason why many flights are overbooked but very seldom IDB or downgrade will actually turn out to be needed - keep mind that (most) airlines are actually very good at doing the math and has very little interest in downgrading pax.
Old May 21, 19, 1:00 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
On the contrary, most likely other pax will misconnect and this flight will leave with empty seats. That is the exact reason why many flights are overbooked but very seldom IDB or downgrade will actually turn out to be needed - keep mind that (most) airlines are actually very good at doing the math and has very little interest in downgrading pax.
True in general but in this case we don't know for sure that it's only overbooked by two nor do we know why those two seats are blocked. In this case, it looks like we're hoping for (at least) two cancellations or no shows out of only 14 J seats.

For oversold flights, the airline is required to solicit volunteers (and recently carriers have been paying enough for VDBs so that IDBs indeed are extremely rare) but it's different for downgrades. AA has already picked the OP and in all likelihood won't offer to pay other passengers to give up their J seats.
Old May 21, 19, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF Silver, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT
Bullocks. It's USdbaAA and it's PHL. No way would I wait until the airport when it can be fixed on the phone with a willing agent.
Old May 21, 19, 1:17 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Explorist
There's a difference between overselling Y and overselling J/F. I would gander a guess and say that *most* of the "many flights" to which you refer are oversold in economy, not business.

In fact, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the general rule that AA doesn't oversell J/F? Has that recently changed?
Old May 21, 19, 1:25 pm

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
It seems to me someone will be willing to put you on the Manchester flight and give you something in exchange for it. Thinking that's more likely to be the gate agent than the AC, although the AC will have been information on availability. For 20000 miles for the two of you, I'd go to Manchester and take the train to Edinburgh. Its "quite pleasant" to sit on the train with tea going through the English and Scottish coujntryside.
Walk-up fares on British trains are quite outrageous though (76.50/person from Manchester Airport to Edinburgh).
curranch90 likes this.
Old May 21, 19, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF Silver, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag View Post
Walk-up fares on British trains are quite outrageous though (76.50/person from Manchester Airport to Edinburgh).
76.50/person is "outrageously high"?
roberto99, C17PSGR and curranch90 like this.
Old May 21, 19, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP should understand that he can send the bill for a car service, train tickets or whatever to AA and he may also demand that AA force revenue space on another carrier and pay him IDB. But, that won't happen. It is unhelpful in the extreme for someone who is looking for a solution, not a way to bash AA for some other unstated reason.

I do agree that he should keep calling and simply start again. Try asking if seats have opened and then ask whether he can be moved to some specific alternative. At some point, an agent may add PNR notes and at that point the next agent won't likely budge. But, that may not happen at all and may not have happened yet.
curranch90 likes this.
Old May 21, 19, 2:01 pm

an AA agent at DTW absolutely has the ability to relatively painlessly issue a FIM to UA in J

upon request after travel, AA customer service will absolutely issue miles or a voucher in response to this fact pattern
curranch90 likes this.
Old May 21, 19, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
This isn't something a moderator can do; at least I am not able to do this. However I have raised the issue with our the technical team, asking them to intervene.

Meanwhile I merged 2 of the OP's posts together, as they were quite similar, which should give them 1 extra post.
If it helps facilitate discussion, I know OP had posted on reddit (reddit.com/r/awardtravel) - perhaps they could post something else there (if OP is reading this) and that could be mentioned back here (that's probably a grey area for rules on FT). I haven't seen any new updates other then what OP posted here.

I'm only 20 minutes away from DTW, part of me wants to show up tomorrow and see how this plays out in person.
enviroian, wrp96, jtav559 and 2 others like this.

Search this Thread