FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA Oversold Business class on our flight this week, we lost award seats (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1970633-aa-oversold-business-class-our-flight-week-we-lost-award-seats.html)

MADPhil May 21, 2019 10:42 am

About all that is left seems to be seeing what happens at OLCI. If you can check in to J but don't have seats then you aren't any the wiser but at least may be able to negotiate from a stronger position. If the check in only offers Y or fails then you try the phone again. Otherwise it's try to negotiate at DTW and, if that fails, at PHL where the options are fewer. It's really a royal pain and not helped by it being a holiday weekend at both ends. Good luck!

SK AAR May 21, 2019 10:43 am

Originally Posted by curranch90 (Post 31123860)
  • The phone agent supervisor is unable to book me on a revenue ticket with a partner "because that has to be done at the airport". (I even spoon fed them flight numbers for BA out of ORD in an attempt to lead a horse to water but no dice). I really pushed nicely but firmly and then some on this point and was repeatedly told that it 100% cannot happen over the phone
  • Any FIM would have to be issued at the airport and cannot be done over the phone
In summary, most of the call was being told what they can't do over the phone...

In my own words, all of their final advice can be summarized as "That's really weird, I'm sorry this happened but there's nothing I can do. Show up to the airport early and see what happens"

This is fully in line with what I have been trying to tell you above. There is zero chance that phone agents can solve this - they have no authority to rebook OAL or into revenue booking class. Airport staff on the other hand has way more leeway to rebook you even if means in revenue class or rebooking OAL. If you are indeed facing being bumped from J class cabin - which I seriously doubt is the situation - airport staff should be able to rebook you to EDI. As mentioned above, it should be done at DTW unless you receive BPs all the way to EDI

Often1 May 21, 2019 10:50 am

As I understand it, you are confirmed on the flight but lack seat assignments. Very unlikely that you are IDB. Thus, your worst case scenario is that you are booked into Y. If you say that you will not accept that, be prepared to cancel and skip the trip. The risk in waiting for tomorrow for seat assignments is that you are not only in Y but the worst of the worst of Y.

I would show up as early as you can and see if you can't prevail on an agent, supervor, or phone agent to reroute you. I would have every available combination on paper so that you know what the universe consists of and that would include BA.

Bottom line is that you need to consider what you will do if the answer is a Y seat or a cancellation.

Colin May 21, 2019 10:58 am

assuming OLCI produces a Y boarding pass, you should get to DTW at 145PM with the goal of getting a FIM onto UA at 445pm via EWR to EDI in J (which is currently showing J3)

DTW to CDG/AMS/FRA appear to be sold-out in J now. focus on the FIM to UA.

Often1 May 21, 2019 11:11 am

Another thought here. Would you consider LHR + train? The train would be on you, No idea if there is J availability to LHR, but it's more likely than EDI / MAN. Or to anywhere on the continent which has LCC service back to EDI/MAN. Those tickets would be on you, but they can be dirt cheap.

Watch the availability like a hawk. This is when people cancel for all manner of reasons. If seats open in J, jump on them. It's just a seat assignment, not a ticketing issue.

flyingeph12 May 21, 2019 11:12 am

I still see J2 on RDU-LHR for tomorrow (and AA is selling AAnytime J awards on that flight). So AA can definitely open up Saver space on that flight if they want to.

There is currently Saver space available on DTW-LGA-RDU (although departing DTW at 6:27 and arriving RDU at 11:15 or 15:25 (so a long layover in RDU or LGA). And there's BA Saver space on LHR-EDI on 23 May departing at 13:00 or 14:00. So the only issue is the RDU-LHR flight.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...1375d1c386.png
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...91a59faa31.png

Worst case scenario, let's hope the DTW agent/supervisor is competent and sympathetic.

MSPeconomist May 21, 2019 11:12 am

I'd also suggest that the OP monitor the seat map frequently. Changes/cancellations are possible and we don't know for sure that OP and companion are the only J passengers on the flight without seat assignments. If a J seat becomes available, grab it immediately and don't worry about seats together (although you can try to swap with someone on board).

OP also needs to think about whether they are willing to take separate flights/routings, perhaps even one to EDI and one to LHR, etc. This is likely to mean arriving at different times, which can be a hassle.

It's frustrating that OP hasn't been able to learn what the blocking of 4A and 4B really means. Are they really required for crew rest on this flight?

Be sure to arrive at the airport with flight numbers, routes, and times written down for all alternatives. For the BA operated flights, know their AA codeshare numbers too.

MSPeconomist May 21, 2019 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31124061)
Another thought here. Would you consider LHR + train? The train would be on you, No idea if there is J availability to LHR, but it's more likely than EDI / MAN. Or to anywhere on the continent which has LCC service back to EDI/MAN. Those tickets would be on you, but they can be dirt cheap.

Watch the availability like a hawk. This is when people cancel for all manner of reasons. If seats open in J, jump on them. It's just a seat assignment, not a ticketing issue.

This is what I suggested upthread. It's a rather pretty train ride too, at least for the portion in northern England. The cost is likely to be less than the penalty for arriving at a hotel a day late.

erik123 May 21, 2019 11:20 am

If I were downgraded at PHL I would ask to be rebooked on the BA JFK-LHR-EDI day flight the next day. Would get you in the same day (albeit in the evening) and it is cheap to get to JFK with a one way rental (you can reserve in advance). You send invoices to AA for reimbursement.

enviroian May 21, 2019 11:21 am

Wow I don't like what I'm hearing from what the OP is being told.

OP, others have said there is J availability on BA via O'Hare. Did you bring that up?

I have a bad feeling about the OP's outcome....ugh

MSPeconomist May 21, 2019 11:22 am

Originally Posted by erik123 (Post 31124086)
If I were downgraded at PHL I would ask to be rebooked on the BA JFK-LHR-EDI day flight the next day. Would get you in the same day (albeit in the evening) and it is cheap to get to JFK with a one way rental (you can reserve in advance). You send invoices to AA for reimbursement.

I'd do a car service rather than driving from PHL to JFK. If you're not familiar with the area, you don't want to be driving across/around NYC when you're stressed.

flyingeph12 May 21, 2019 11:29 am

The other thing you might want to do is use ExpertFlyer to set seat alerts on the occupied seats in the business cabin on your PHL-EDI cabin. This will alert you via email if the seat opens up.

If you haven't used ExpertFlyer before, you can sign up for a free 5-day trial. Or I think the Basic service ($4.99/month) allows up to 30 seat alerts.

linglingfool May 21, 2019 11:32 am

I think people are missing the plot here a bit with taking trains or overflying the UK and lifting a walk-up fare on an LCC.

I applaud the OP for spending 3 hours on the phone today to try and get this resolved, but no point spending more than the flight's block time getting this resolved.. If Twitter can't do anything, get to the airport quite early and plead a case there for a reroute through ORD.

moondog May 21, 2019 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31123969)
As I understand it, you are confirmed on the flight but lack seat assignments. Very unlikely that you are IDB. Thus, your worst case scenario is that you are booked into Y. If you say that you will not accept that, be prepared to cancel and skip the trip. The risk in waiting for tomorrow for seat assignments is that you are not only in Y but the worst of the worst of Y.

I would show up as early as you can and see if you can't prevail on an agent, supervor, or phone agent to reroute you. I would have every available combination on paper so that you know what the universe consists of and that would include BA.

Bottom line is that you need to consider what you will do if the answer is a Y seat or a cancellation.

In part because I type faster than I write, and in part for clarity, I would drum up a simple XLS with every conceivable/practical option, including ST, *A, and VS. IME, check-in agents appreciate this type of legwork because it makes their lives easier.

aztimm May 21, 2019 11:34 am

I'm not sure who is telling the OP that, "all flights are full in business," but as someone pointed upthread, tomorrow's AA 734, PHL-MAN is listed as J7/C7. When you look at the seatmap on EF, it shows a fairly wide-open business cabin, with most of the middle section open and even a few vacant window seats.

I've done the train from Edinburgh to Manchester and I don't remember it being too bad; maybe 3 hours if I remember correctly.

If OLCI doesn't work for the OP's selected flights, I'd call and ask to be put on this one instead.