FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA Oversold Business class on our flight this week, we lost award seats (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1970633-aa-oversold-business-class-our-flight-week-we-lost-award-seats.html)

JDiver May 20, 2019 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 31122011)
There are plenty of J seats on PHL-MAN. From MAN to EDI, however, requires a connection in LHR on BA (unless you terminate in MAN and find other means to get to EDI—i.e., train or Flybe).

That’s not a bad idea.

I’m guessing the OP was FAMmed (seats given to Federal Air Marshals) and of course AA staff can not state that by law. I hope s/he gets sAAtisfaction.

flyingeph12 May 20, 2019 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by shd9 (Post 31122027)
Upon some further digging, it appears that AA has blocked 4AB for all PHL-EDI flights, and they appear to be not selling them anymore (some other day I see J2 - 2 seats available and 2 blocked). Maybe for some operational reasons (after they initially published those seats for sale), AA decided that those seats should not be assigned in advance (or should not be assigned at all). So OP was probably bumped off this seat.

Since this is an oversell situation, I am not expecting them to move you to a partner, because there could always be some chance that there will be a no-show and they don't need to rebook you. Just they won't offer to rebook you on OA when there is no seat to select in coach (they will just ask you to check in at the airport)

Well, this is the situation on PHL-LHR for Wednesday, which does not inspire confidence in AA's ability to rebook OP for the same day if PHL-EDI is full in business. AA is probably hoping that it can downgrade OP into Y and maybe throw some consolation points at the situation, which is BS. Faced with the choice of flying in Y or waiting to fly in J (which would ruin vacation plans, etc.), AA is probably banking on the fact that most people would resign to flying in Y. Which again is absolute bull.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...178f3160f9.png

shd9 May 20, 2019 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 31122031)
That’s not a bad idea.

I’m guessing the OP was FAMmed (seats given to Federal Air Marshals) and of course AA staff can not state that by law. I hope s/he gets sAAtisfaction.

I don't think so. As I mentioned above, the two seats 4AB are blocked for all the PHL-EDI flights. In addition, usually, FAM will not "book" the flight so much in advance

flyingeph12 May 20, 2019 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by shd9 (Post 31122027)
The problem is that AA only flies to EDI from PHL. Even if they managed to force open some award availability on their metal, you still need a partner award space to get you to EDI (which could take a long time to request). So my suggestion is to get to DTW early, and if this really an oversell situation, agents there should be able to book you on any available flight space (AA or Partner)

There is open award seats on BA LHR-EDI on 23 May, so that's not a problem. It's getting to LHR that is the issue. Most availability is on BA. The only flight on AA metal with 2 seats that I see is RDU-LHR (and the morning JFK-LHR flight, which likely won't work timing-wise).

shd9 May 20, 2019 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 31122041)
Well, this is the situation on PHL-LHR for Wednesday, which does not inspire confidence in AA's ability to rebook OP for the same day if PHL-EDI is full in business. AA is probably hoping that it can downgrade OP into Y and maybe throw some consolation points at the situation, which is BS. Faced with the choice of flying in Y or waiting to fly in J (which would ruin vacation plans, etc.), AA is probably banking on the fact that most people would resign to flying in Y. Which again is absolute bull.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...178f3160f9.png

Oh my lord I didn't check the loading. What's going on in London?! It appears that all the AA metal flights (even from JFK, DFW) are zeroing out!

ijgordon May 20, 2019 10:32 pm

Show up at DTW with a television crew.

chuck1 May 20, 2019 11:06 pm

Are 4A/B cockpit crew rest seats?
I know PHL-EDI is 7h 10m so less than 8 hours and the return is 7h 55m so I'm not sure if AA takes 3 cockpit crew on these flights or 2.

OUTraveling May 20, 2019 11:35 pm

If this extends to the date of departure:

-Check into you initial airport separately.
-Fly to the US main US hub.
-Go to your gates and make sure they load your bags on the plane.
-Once the bag is loaded, wait until 10 minutes before boarding is over.
-Go to the gate agent to renegotiate your position. Keep negotiating until they are going to close the doors. If they do not come back with a satisfactory offer (for me it is a $750 in vouchers per person plus a full refund) refuse to board the flight.
Your baggage is already loaded and the doors are closing soon. They can call your bluff but that requires them to contact the ground crew, get them back to the plane, then have them find your luggage that has been checked in and loaded separately of each other.
-It costs an airline $78/ minute they are delayed. Unloading your luggage will take at least 30 minutes as they are in separate areas.

The total cost for the delay will cost them $2,340.

Colin May 20, 2019 11:39 pm

hell yes, OUT!

FlyerTalker688786 May 21, 2019 3:51 am

This weekend is a British summer holiday (Monday 27th) coupled with the famous Chelsea Flower show, it is busy here. Then after the first week of June almost many school finishes more people will be travelling out from London which will be filled by people going to UK for the summer camps and travels. So yes, it is going to be tough to get a seat as summer goes. Maybe time to see if any seats to Dublin or Madrid and then take Aer Lingus or Iberia+BA.

linglingfool May 21, 2019 6:27 am

There is plenty of space open on BA via ORD. Call back and politely but firmly tell them that if the flight is truly oversold, they should rebook you. If it's just a seat assignment issue, that's a different story.

(I'd personally appreciate the slightly longer ORD flight, even if it meant backtracking, just so I could get a little more sleep.)

drvannostren May 21, 2019 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 31121892)
There may not be any mileage availability, but that's AA's problem. Do not go to the airport to deal with it, it won't happen.

Yea, I'm leaning this way, the airline sold you seats. It's up to them to get you there and in the class you paid for. Doesn't matter if you paid with miles or dollars, you paid. Now, you could take the involuntary downgrade and push for some serious financial compensation. I certainly wouldn't accept miles, not even if it was a full refund for saver level. If they shelled out some serious vouchers I would consider it.

But yea, not having any availability (which btw, don't they have availability on every flight with Anytime or whatever name the awards are at?) is totally their problem. You're not the one that oversold the cabin.

SK AAR May 21, 2019 7:02 am

Maybe I'm wrong, but reading the initial post of the OP it seems that the OP only lost the assigned seats. This can happen for a number of reasons; often equipment change. No ASR doesn't mean that the OP has been bumped from the J class cabin; most likely the OP is still confirmed on the AA flight to EDI. It would be very unusual for a carrier to offload the OP from the flight in advance even if the flight is overbooked in J class. Why should AA do so? If the flight is indeed overbooked in J/C this will be resolved at the airport/the gate.

So in my opinion the OP should check-in as normal and most likely the check-in agent at DTW will be able to assign seats for PHL-EDI as well - or the OP will be assigned seats at the gate in PHL. I don't get why we are even talking about rerouting here; most likely the OP will be on the AA flight to EDI in biz and if not, OP will be rebooked to another flight if needed or downgraded. The former is easily dealt with by airport staff and rebooking will be done regardless of award seats being available or not. But trying to rebook in advance will of course require award seats to be available like any other voluntary rebooking, but this has nothing to do with IRROPS on the day of traveling.

drvannostren May 21, 2019 7:11 am

Right, losing your assigned seats stinks, but it happens. What it SEEMS like to me, and maybe I'm wrong, is that there was perhaps an equipment change and the airline assigned seats to "paid" customers, unseated these folks now are getting the runaround saying there "is no award availability" which is BS cuz they already had the availability booked. If IRROPS was dependant on award availability, the whole award system falls apart.

Colin May 21, 2019 7:12 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR (Post 31123167)
Maybe I'm wrong, but reading the initial post of the OP it seems that the OP only lost the assigned seats. This can happen for a number of reasons; often equipment change. No ASR doesn't mean that the OP has been bumped from the J class cabin; most likely the OP is still confirmed on the AA flight to EDI. It would be very unusual for a carrier to offload the OP from the flight in advance even if the flight is overbooked in J class. Why should AA do so? If the flight is indeed overbooked in J/C this will be resolved at the airport/the gate.

So in my opinion the OP should check-in as normal and most likely the check-in agent at DTW will be able to assign seats for PHL-EDI as well - or the OP will be assigned seats at the gate in PHL. I don't get why we are even talking about rerouting here; most likely the OP will be on the AA flight to EDI in biz and if not, OP will be rebooked to another flight if needed or downgraded. The former is easily dealt with by airport staff and rebooking will be done regardless of award seats being available or not. But trying to rebook in advance will of course require award seats to be available like any other voluntary rebooking, but this has nothing to do with IRROPS on the day of traveling.

perfect analysis. assuming you really want to travel this week, show up to fly. if at DTW check-in you are issued a downgraded boarding pass for PHL-EDI, you should attempt to get the DTW agent to resolve the matter to your satisfaction which for me would be to maintain a one-stop connection DTW-EDI in J. i would be asking for AA to issue a FIM (flight interruption manifest) to reroute DTW-EDI on UA via EWR/IAD/ORD, on DL/KL via AMS, on AF via CDF, on LH via FRA. keep asking different AA employees until you find one to issue the FIM.