Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Oversold Business class on our flight this week, we lost award seats

AA Oversold Business class on our flight this week, we lost award seats

Old May 23, 19, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's spread the credit more equitably to everyone here who took the time out to help, cheer-on and steady the nerves of the OP-- who I believe said in messages that this was their first AA flights-- and was not being given good/accurate info from AA-- at all.

Add to that that even the suggested options were filling up fast and/or involved drives or trains etc-- I don't blame the OP for -not- feeling "ah well, it'll probably work out" And the re-route that was practically underway when these seats opened involved multiple connections-- with checked, can't-do-the-trip-without-it hiking gear. We all/mostly do carry-on, right? See the difference?

Biggest issue-- and what _I_ learned here is that those blocked seats on a flight of this length would almost never open up, so waiting for that (if one didn't know why they were blocked)-- and considering the tiny J-cabin here-- not a formula for success.

I'm told the reverse is actually more likely; that is that on a flight that -didn't- have those seats blocked in anticipation of not needing a 3rd pilot, one might be added at the last minute (on shorter flights) based on conditions.

I also don't think I was at all aware that these 757 routes would have 4AB assigned at some point and all of a sudden have them unassigned for this purpose-- I've always been inclined to think "FAM" when these threads pop up.

Etc, etc.
mrow, SFO777, MSPeconomist and 6 others like this.
Old May 23, 19, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
Let's spread the credit more equitably to everyone here who took the time out to help, cheer-on and steady the nerves of the OP-- who I believe said in messages that this was their first AA flights-- and was not being given good/accurate info from AA-- at all.
Group therapy!
Old May 23, 19, 9:41 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond

Add to that that even the suggested options were filling up fast and/or involved drives or trains etc-- I don't blame the OP for -not- feeling "ah well, it'll probably work out" And the re-route that was practically underway when these seats opened involved multiple connections-- with checked, can't-do-the-trip-without-it hiking gear. We all/mostly do carry-on, right? See the difference?

Biggest issue-- and what _I_ learned here is that those blocked seats on a flight of this length would almost never open up, so waiting for that (if one didn't know why they were blocked)-- and considering the tiny J-cabin here-- not a formula for success.

I'm told the reverse is actually more likely; that is that on a flight that -didn't- have those seats blocked in anticipation of not needing a 3rd pilot, one might be added at the last minute (on shorter flights) based on conditions.

I also don't think I was at all aware that these 757 routes would have 4AB assigned at some point and all of a sudden have them unassigned for this purpose-- I've always been inclined to think "FAM" when these threads pop up.

Etc, etc.
JonNYC - someone said upstream that no one knows who you are. Are you Yoda?
Old May 23, 19, 12:57 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by DCAFly View Post
JonNYC - someone said upstream that no one knows who you are. Are you Yoda?
bAAnksy
iadisgreat, SS255, GTITAN and 6 others like this.
Old May 24, 19, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Talking

Originally Posted by enpremiere View Post

bAAnksy
Nice one
SouthernCross, GTITAN and wrp96 like this.
Old May 24, 19, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's what it appears to be, yes.
It seems like that was part of it, but the other, perhaps more critical, part was that the flight was actually overbooked in J, no? Was that a function of AA selling the 2 crew rest seats when they should have been blocked - not just from the seat map, but *also* from available inventory (which I think is separate)?
Old May 24, 19, 10:05 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post

It seems like that was part of it, but the other, perhaps more critical, part was that the flight was actually overbooked in J, no? Was that a function of AA selling the 2 crew rest seats when they should have been blocked - not just from the seat map, but *also* from available inventory (which I think is separate)?
Well, yes, the oversell was an important part of picture. But generally, when there is an oversell situation, I don't believe people with already assigned seats get kicked out of their seats. The issue here was that the seats that OP were in should have been blocked—and I think when there is a schedule/aircraft change, it also tends to mess up seat assignments.

In any event, I stand by my original gut feeling that the situation OP faced here is generally not as likely to happen with paid J.
Old May 25, 19, 12:59 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
One actionable lesson ... avoid booking 4AB in advance on a 75 ...

I reserved 2J on a 763 recently and was seatless for a bit. I was initially told it was blocked as inop, which I then took to mean I had been FAMed. Then when I boarded, there was a woman sitting in 2J who obviously was not a FAM.

I'm guessing that there are some seats getting blocked for strange reasons
I had a LHR-LAX flight recently, selected 3J months in advance. Got moved to 4J, AAgent couldn't explain why it happened but saw that I was moved for some reason. Some old guy was in 3J when we boarded.
Old May 27, 19, 11:42 am

Programs: Flying Colonels, Go-Getters, WorldPass, Amerikat Expositors, Ephemeralizers
(if one didn't know why they were blocked)
@Jon, now that the dust has settled, at this time, is your take the root cause for the shenanigans was:

A - Crew (3rd Pilot) rest*
B - Metal change
C - Other**

* If "A", are union rules 2 seats for 1 Pilot, BOTH up front AND in back?
** I ask that you give me a chance to post my take for "Other" if you do not choose A or B.

"Other" reason:

Hint #1 : the spontaneous appearance of the Quantity Two (2) pax with D1 grade, within minutes if not possibly simultaneously with your confirmation that 4A/4B were magically restored to OP.

Hint #2 : to be revealed after Jon's response.

------------------

Separate topic, has anyone heard from the OP on the ground EDI/SCO ???
Old May 27, 19, 11:54 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
OP did not get 4A/4B
JonNYC and wrp96 like this.
Old May 27, 19, 12:32 pm

Programs: Flying Colonels, Go-Getters, WorldPass, Amerikat Expositors, Ephemeralizers
@JonNYC, I will interpret your like on pmarrsouth to be "no comment".
Old May 28, 19, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seat7a.speedbird2.030828 View Post
@JonNYC, I will interpret your like on pmarrsouth to be "no comment".
"No comment" can be taken to have connotations of information being withheld or whatever, whereas I was simply confirming that it had already been established that in was not the case that "4A/4B were magically restored to OP"
Old May 28, 19, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If you don't accept your downgrade to a middle seat in coach, we'll treat it as a no show. You won't get a refund and we won't rebook you.
I don't believe that is true.
Old May 28, 19, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
This bothered me, a lot.
I hope it is NOT true.

For example, what if someone cannot sit up for, say, 11 hours, but could travel quite well with the opportunity to lie down for much of the trip? And that person used awards to get an F or J ticket, with flat bed. If they are downgraded to a narrow seat, almost no recline, very little pitch/footroom... they must take it or forfeit all?

Really?

GC
Old May 28, 19, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If you don't accept your downgrade to a middle seat in coach, we'll treat it as a no show. You won't get a refund and we won't rebook you.
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
Originally Posted by GeezerCouple View Post
This bothered me, a lot.
I hope it is NOT true.

For example, what if someone cannot sit up for, say, 11 hours, but could travel quite well with the opportunity to lie down for much of the trip? And that person used awards to get an F or J ticket, with flat bed. If they are downgraded to a narrow seat, almost no recline, very little pitch/footroom... they must take it or forfeit all?

Really?

GC
I was a dumb joke on the poster's part, ignore it. (-OR- he has no idea what he's talking about and shouldn't be commenting-- either way, ignore it.)

Especially the use of "we" without explaining it's an attempt at "humor."

Last edited by JonNYC; May 28, 19 at 2:24 pm

Search this Thread