Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Oversold Business class on our flight this week, we lost award seats

AA Oversold Business class on our flight this week, we lost award seats

Old May 22, 19, 6:54 am

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by laagima View Post
That's an FTer!
So the person in me wants this to either be sorted out at DTW (or PHL, I suppose) and/or some magic to happen behind the scenes.

The FT'er in me wants...well...more chaos.

These are my favorite types of threads. Not because of OP's situation (I do like the drama though), but I really do enjoy seeing the community spring into action and making sure that someone is prepared with (several) backup options in case things don't work out. So many people would just show up at the airport, be told PHL will handle them, and then end up downgraded with a couple thousand miles redeposited into their account and just move on.
ntamayo, Dad to Rei, SS255 and 7 others like this.
Old May 22, 19, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
This is spot on. As the OP is still confirmed in J/C class for PHL-EDI there is close to zero chance that a DTW agent will rebook the OP - let alone rebook to BA or issue a FIM to allow the OP to travel OAL. It is not going to happen. Period. No sane agent at DTW would do that as any unassigned seats is likely to resolved at the gate in PHL by e.g. no-show, misconnections, blocked seats becoming available etc. May I remind you that thousands of times each day pax receive a BP without seat assignment at check-in at the initial departure point, and pax will have to proceed to the gate of the onward flight to get a new BP with seat assignment. If agents were to rebook pax just because of no seat being assigned for the onward flight, it would turn into chaos.

I'm still very confident that the OP will be able to board the AA flight to EDI - and with seats in J/C class.
All of that may be the case for Y, but this is J. In the vast majority of all of those cases, the reason AA doesn't rebook for a lack of a seat assignment is because there are seats available to be assigned, just under airport control which needs to be done at the gate. There still is some question over those blocked seats here, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Also, in Y, it may just take 1%-2% of the people not to show up to open up 2 seats. For this to happen in J, it'll take 12%-14% not to show up, the equivalent of overbooking Y by around 20 seats in a 160Y cabin.
Colin, ijgordon, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old May 22, 19, 7:02 am

Really cool to see everyone pitching in and Jon working his magic to see if this one can get fixed.

I'll be really curious as to how it turns out - hopefully AA does something to keep it as-is, but can't they also downgrade to Y with nothing more than a partial refund of points, and OP would have no recourse?
curranch90 likes this.
Old May 22, 19, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by AndyAA View Post
All of that may be the case for Y, but this is J. In the vast majority of all of those cases, the reason AA doesn't rebook for a lack of a seat assignment is because there are seats available to be assigned, just under airport control which needs to be done at the gate. There still is some question over those blocked seats here, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Also, in Y, it may just take 1%-2% of the people not to show up to open up 2 seats. For this to happen in J, it'll take 12%-14% not to show up, the equivalent of overbooking Y by around 20 seats in a 160Y cabin.
Top me, the important fact to note is that the OP has been told that J is overbooked on the flight. It's not just a matter of not having seat assignments, although if AA ultimately releases 4A/4B that could solve the OP's problem very nicely, assuming that there aren't higher priority passengers confirmed in J and waiting for seat assignments on the EDI flight.

I wish we could understand why the seats are blocked and what this really means. It could just be a formality for potential use as crew rest until the pilot in charge releases the seats to customers, or they could really be blocked and not available al all to passengers.
curranch90 likes this.
Old May 22, 19, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
..I wish we could understand why the seats are blocked and what this really means. It could just be a formality for potential use as crew rest until the pilot in charge releases the seats to customers, or they could really be blocked and not available al all to passengers.
I feel like I explained that already.
SFO777, wrp96 and curranch90 like this.
Old May 22, 19, 9:50 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
I feel like I explained that already.
Did you get any more color as to why these were assignable until recently? Have more 757 captains been requesting additional crew than in times past, leading AA to preemptively block them for rest?
Old May 22, 19, 9:56 am

Programs: DL MM, AA EXP, AS MVPG, SPG Plat
Any updates here? Unlike many upthread, I am generally pretty pessimistic here. For all the reasons discussed above, nobody at any station before PHL is likely to touch this, as it *could* work itself out. Odds suggest it will not, however, and the OP will be left holding a short straw at boarding time. As others mentioned, it is AA's option whether to accommodate or refund. I suspect they will offer seats in Y or a return home, calling the OP's "bluff". If the OP flies in Y, they'll get some miles back, but hard to see them getting a J seat in this circumstance if it is not resolved before PHL.
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 22, 19, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by linglingfool View Post
Did you get any more color as to why these were assignable until recently? Have more 757 captains been requesting additional crew than in times past, leading AA to preemptively block them for rest?
It's a great question and still waiting for that answer-- I'm genuinely mystified by that myself on 7 hour flight where it's obvious these seats will be needed for crew rest. **Might** have been a RM error (not blocking them) as the OP definitely had those seats assigned at some point.

In this case, there is a 3rd pilot and all business pax have checked in-- so barring a misconnect etc., seems like it will still show as oversold by 2 when they check in.
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 22, 19, 10:13 am

OP is not responding to my texts. What the hell is happening out there!!!

I assume AA killed him to cover this whole thing up.
Old May 22, 19, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Pointsrich View Post

Maybe hopped on earlier flight to PHL or ORD, and is in flight now? WE NEED TO KNOW.
linglingfool and Pointsrich like this.
Old May 22, 19, 10:22 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Pointsrich View Post

My guess/hope is that OP is at the airport trying to get this mess resolved. At this point, it seems like getting to EDI on schedule might be an issue, never mind getting there in business.
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 22, 19, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire, Langham Voyager
The suspense is KILLING me.
Pointsrich likes this.
Old May 22, 19, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 View Post
...At this point, it seems like getting to EDI on schedule might be an issue, never mind getting there in business.
Why's that?
Old May 22, 19, 10:36 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
Why's that?
Well, unless Iím mistaken, it seems the PHL-EDI flight is also full in economy. That means 2 passengers in Y will have to be offloaded/misconnect for AA even to downgrade OP into Y. There is, of course, a much higher probability of that happening than 2 J seats opening up, but unless Iím missing something, there is no guarantee at this point there is space in economy to downgrade.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 22, 19, 10:39 am

AA's SOP would be to downgrade the selected passengers in oversold J to Y, and then seek VBDs from Y, and then IDBs from Y.

The key is convincing some AA airport agent to issue a FIM to UA (or DL/AF/KL at this moment having J inventory DTW-x-EDI).

Search this Thread