Passenger Declined Upgrade: Have You?

Old May 21, 19, 2:58 am

Programs: TKP, SKG, CSG, MAG, Sixt Plat, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold
Many moons ago was travelling on DL from CPH to TXL, a hop of less than an hour. I was working for DL's handling agent in CPH at the time, and due to someone doing something really good, DL decided to throw us a bone in the form of almost-for-free tickets between CPH and TXL. Travelling with me was a mate of mine who worked for SAS, and he'd gone and bought ID tickets for the same place, at a fairly ridiculous price.

Anyways, we board the almost empty aircraft and settle down somewhere in the bowels of monkey class. A few minutes prior to boarding complete, a CC approaches me and apologies that I haven't been upgraded, would I care to follow her into the business class section. By all means, was my answer, but what about my mate. She walks off and comes back a minute later, saying the upgrade offer was only available to me since I was on a special DL company reward ticket (or some similar nonsens; it was a long time ago). Politely told the CC that, in that case, I'd rather stay put with my friend and, after all, it's but a 50 minute flight.

Downsides? Well, they served coffee up in business, but the poor suckers in monkey only got whiffs of the nice smell.
Old May 21, 19, 4:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
I was on CX from BKK to HKG and offered an upgrade to Business quite a few years ago. I was in a very good mood and the conversation went like this:

Agent "We have an upgrade to Business for you"
Me "Thats okay, I don't need it, give it to someone who never gets an upgrade"
Agent "The system does not work that way, will just go to the next person on the list, who probably doesn't deserve it"
Me "I'll take it"

The agent went on to explain that often the upgraders were the most 'difficult' customers to deal with.
Passmethesickbag and Score8 like this.
Old May 21, 19, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assuming I wasn't traveling with someone I'd say a definite no. The only seat in Y that I could find somewhat comparable to F is seat 11A/10A on the LAA321/LUS321. In fact, if the middle is empty and in consideration of a free drink in MCE at that point it's just about par (to me AA domestic meals are on par to Burger King except the warm nuts).
Old May 21, 19, 6:07 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
When my wife was not EXP and traveling with me... if there was only 1 seat left, and the upgrade was offered... well I would ask my wife if she wanted to sit in F...
happy to say, she was willing to sit with me in coach....(that is a loving wife)
econometrics and robertablake like this.
Old May 21, 19, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by flightrisk View Post
The GA left the plane and did not return to upgrade a different passenger.

Old May 21, 19, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
If alone, I'd almost always take the upgrade.

I've traveled with my parents before, and always added my mom as a companion for the upgrade, so that if we both clear, she and my dad can sit up front. A few times we've been sitting in good exit row seats and the GA comes on to say there is one seat in F, and would we want to split. Those times I've declined.

I've also asked to be put back in Y sometimes when flying with a friend I'd rather just sit and talk with.
Old May 21, 19, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
I've declined an upgrade a few times, actually. It's fun!

I always enjoy getting to see the next person on the list called up, knowing the great joy they had getting the last spot(s).

Two times in the past year I have declined when I was already seated. Both times I was with my wife / family and got the last spot. Both times I just gave it to the person who was the last to clear the stand-by list. That's fun, too. When they walk back to take your seat in Y, and you tell them to head up to F instead.
Old May 21, 19, 8:55 am

Programs: American Airlines, Marriott, Hertz, Avis
Once - I was settled in an aisle seat with all of my stuff put away and they offered me FC window. Was only ATL - NYC, so not really worth moving all of my stuff.
Old May 21, 19, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Silver Hilton Diamond
I once flew MIA-JFK on-board a 767-300 (flatbed). Passenger next to me after take off went back to economy to sit with a friend and never returned back until we were descending to JFK.
Old May 21, 19, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA-CK, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, SPG- Lifetime Plat
Reading these stories reminds me of the time I was a Circle Club member with SR. Jeez, I'm old. For those not as old as me, that was the invitation only level with SwissAir. In any case, I was in biz on a SR 747 upstairs with a work colleague. A gate agent tapped me on the shoulder and started to say Mr. , before she could get any further, I was downstairs In F enjoying a glass of champagne! Going through customs after arrival, my colleague asked what happened to me when I left the newspaper hanging in mid-air? My reply was simply a better seat opened up downstairs! :0 Unless my wife is involved I never turn down an upgrade.
Old May 21, 19, 3:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
I'm 6'1 and 440 lbs with a 58" waist. I always use two coach seats (I purchase both) and a seat belt extender. I'd decline an upgrade because my fat butt won't fit in most business- or first-class seats.
Old May 21, 19, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I've declined one on BA shorthaul. I'd take the exit row to that horrid 29" pitch they call Club Europe.

Also declined one on AA that was to a bulkhead after all the overheads were full. Only had my backpack, but didn't want to have to wedge it somewhere (already experience having a laptop smashed up by a careless person in the overhead before)
Old May 21, 19, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Also declined one on AA that was to a bulkhead after all the overheads were full.

Me too, twice. I was in a MCE aisle exit seat and had my bag up and knew there was no room for it over 1A (by the way was a bulkhead with much less legroom then my MCE bulkhead). No way I was going to land and swim upstream to get my roller. Choose your battles I suppose.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 21, 19, 4:38 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage Gold, AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Was on an ORD-LGA flight last year and about 4 people ahead of me declined. I really was surprised. No one wanted to move their bags overhead.

They got to me me and I said yes lol. For the simple fact itís a Meal flight I went ahead.

she just kept going down down the list until she got to me.

I was gold back then.
Old May 21, 19, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, SPG Plat/LT Gold
On a redeye I will decline a bulkhead F upgrade assuming I have an MCE seat already - especially if its an unlimited legroom seat on the 321. I am just too tall for the bulkhead and cant stretch out and get comfortable to sleep. I dont plan to eat or drink at all on those flights so its all about relative comfort sleeping

Search this Thread