Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines AAdvantage miles awards may be placed on “hold” for five days in most circumstances.

How long can I hold my AAdvantage award reservation?

The time we'll hold an award reservation depends on how many days before departure you book:
  • 5 days: When you book 15 –331 days before departure
  • 1 day: When you book 1–14 days before departure
  • Up to 2 hours before departure: When you book within 24 hours of departure
Keep in mind, certain special awards and awards that include certain airline partners may have shorter hold times.

Link to AAdvantage FAQs page
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award Five Day Hold Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

AAdvantage Award Five Day Hold Questions

I have read on the board there is a 5 day hold on Award Travel. Where do I activate this? I am almost through the process online to secure a ticket --- at least I think I am almost through the process - but nothing has come up asking if I want to hold. Will that option be on the final screen? I am concerned to keep pushing forward and accidentally commit the miles not on a "hold". Thanks!
Old May 20, 2019, 3:13 pm

It's one of the options on the buy screen. You'll never mistakenky book an award fare without having to put your credit card in - there's always a co-pay.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:14 pm

If I remember correctly, it's on the last (or one of the last) screens, maybe on the bottom left? Can't remember for sure, it's been a few months since I've done it.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I think a 5 day hold would incur some fees, needing to be paid at the time.

Last edited by pauleeepaul; May 20, 2019 at 11:43 pm Reason: Apparently i was mistaken, better not to post if not 100% certain,.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Thank You! Thank you!!

Well, after my miles being dormant forever, I seem to successfully (fingers crossed) have a Qantas LAX-MEL First flight held for February 2020. There has been one lone day available of First Saver for this route, in February no less, for the last couple days showing up in the searches. Thought for sure I would get the 'phantom' error others have mentioned, but so far it seems to have gone through OK. Now I just have to see if it is confirmed, pull the rest of the trip together around the February date, and cobble some half decent routing out for the return trip.

The forum wiki's have been really helpful. Appreciate all the inputs from folks.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
For the benefit of anyone coming along to read this thread later: the above is not true.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I was able to execute the Hold without any fees. The button was on the last page, very last option, as ShortDog and Wanderlust described.

From my confirmation email, there will be a $20.10 payment for Total Taxes and Carrier-Imposed Fees when ticket is committed/purchased.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Well, after my miles being dormant forever, I seem to successfully (fingers crossed) have a Qantas LAX-MEL First flight held for February 2020.
<snip>
Now I just have to see if it is confirmed, pull the rest of the trip together around the February date, and cobble some half decent routing out for the return trip.
Congratulations on AA award on QF. A good time to visit Aussie
Getting an (award?) flight back may be hard but not impossible. May take time
If you cannot get something in the hold period you could confirm/pay $20 and sort something out in the next ~9 months. Awards are easier to cancel than get.

Several airlines/routes/departure airports :- AA QF HA FJ TN and BNE/SYD/MEL or even AKL to SFO LAX DFW JFK. Flexibility is the key.

Australia New Zealand AA forum ---> AAdvantage award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)
Old May 20, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
not on awards
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Five Day Hold Award Question

I just tried to put an Award flight on Hold and was surprised to only be offered a 24 hour hold instead of the 5 day hold. Is this because I'm within a short booking window timeframe? The flight is in 12 days.

Thanks. I don't book award travel within a short window and couldn't find the answer. I'm 0 for 3 finding answers in Wiki's and the AA website this morning. Too early or operator error. or Both. :-)
Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...ntage-faqs.jsp

"How long can I hold my AAdvantage award reservation?"
Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks aacar. A bit embarrassed I didn't find that myself!

Folks who book a lot of Award travel probably know this stuff like the back of their hands. For others, here's the answers:The time we'll hold an award reservation depends on how many days before departure you book:
  • 5 days: When you book 15 –331 days before departure
  • 1 day: When you book 1–14 days before departure
  • Up to 2 hours before departure: When you book within 24 hours of departure
Keep in mind, certain special awards and awards that include certain airline partners may have shorter hold times.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
And the other good news for non elites, no more $75 fee for booking awards less than 3 weeks before departure

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.