Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Cancelled Award Ticket

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2019, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Using Cancelled Award Ticket

I'm sure this has been asked and answered.

Platinum.

Cancelled a 55k (X2) award in March

Want to book a 95k (X2) award

Is there a way to skirt the $300 reinstatement fee?

For example, I thought I could book a 52.5k award on the flight I want, using the cancelled ticket, and then later upgrade the reservation to F. I was told since this wasn't the exact amount of miles on my cancelled ticket that I couldn't do so (I was willing to give up there 2500 miles each difference)
Old May 19, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
I was under the impression that it would be $150 + $25 for each additional award at the same time for a total of $175 not $300. That can sway the math here.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ard-travel.jsp
Old May 19, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by dr freeze
I'm sure this has been asked and answered.

Platinum.

Cancelled a 55k (X2) award in March

Want to book a 95k (X2) award

Is there a way to skirt the $300 reinstatement fee?

For example, I thought I could book a 52.5k award on the flight I want, using the cancelled ticket, and then later upgrade the reservation to F. I was told since this wasn't the exact amount of miles on my cancelled ticket that I couldn't do so (I was willing to give up there 2500 miles each difference)
There is no fee if you can use the tickets for the same start and end points and the same type of ticket, i.e. SAAver or AAnytime. The route in between can be changed. Any change in origin or destination or between SAAver and AAnytime requires reinstatement and reissue. If the tickets are from the same account then the fee is $150 + $25 as MathMusic says, if it's two accounts then it is 2x$150.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.