FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Flagship Lounge DFW/ Connection to FLL (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1970273-flagship-lounge-dfw-connection-fll.html)

Duck1981 May 18, 19 11:30 am

Flagship Lounge DFW/ Connection to FLL
 
Hello fellow FTers,

I'll be travelling early June for the first time via DFW - coming in from LHR and connecting to FLL.

I will have a stopover of about 5 hours - and I thought it won't be a problem as I'll get some free Champagne plus food in the Flagship Lounge (being myself BAEC Silver).

Unfortunately I was not aware of the terminal situation in DFW until checking today. Is there any chance that my flight to FLL will depart from Terminal D (where the Flagship Lounge is)?
If not, any chance to visit this lounge without too much hassle? E.g. not sure if I like to discuss w/ TSA that I am visiting Terminal D just for the lounge?

Or will I simply need to visit the 'local' Admirals club (will they give me at least some drinks vouchers?)

As usual, many thanks for all your help!

(nota bene: is there still no AA lounge at FLL - can I go somewhere with my Priority Pass?)

Antarius May 18, 19 11:45 am

With skylink, any gate to any gate is roughly 10 minutes. All airside.

You can enjoy the FL in D and not worry at all. Just hop the train 10 minutes before boarding starts.

JDiver May 18, 19 11:50 am

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Duck1981 (Post 31114569)
Hello fellow FTers,

I'll be travelling early June for the first time via DFW - coming in from LHR and connecting to FLL.

I will have a stopover of about 5 hours - and I thought it won't be a problem as I'll get some free Champagne plus food in the Flagship Lounge (being myself BAEC Silver).

Unfortunately I was not aware of the terminal situation in DFW until checking today. Is there any chance that my flight to FLL will depart from Terminal D (where the Flagship Lounge is)?
If not, any chance to visit this lounge without too much hassle? E.g. not sure if I like to discuss w/ TSA that I am visiting Terminal D just for the lounge?

Or will I simply need to visit the 'local' Admirals club (will they give me at least some drinks vouchers?)

As usual, many thanks for all your help!

(nota bene: is there still no AA lounge at FLL - can I go somewhere with my Priority Pass?)

You’ll be arriving and processing formalities at Terminal D, as well as security. The lounge complex is between gates D23 and D24. All Terminal gates areas are connected airside by SkyLink train.

There’s no place at DFW over ~seven minutes away from any other airside point using the SkyLink. It’s likely your ongoing flight will depart from Terminal A or C, but you’ll note the flight status boards inform you an hour or more in advance of departure gate assignments and you’ll have plenty of time to visit the Flagship Lounge and move to your gate.

See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ction-etc.html

At FLL you can use your Priority Pass benefit at Kafe Kalik in T-4.

C17PSGR May 18, 19 12:45 pm

Kafe Kalik at FLL is not in the same terminal as AA but its airside, so once you clear security at Terminal 4, you can go to Kafe Kalik and its a 10 minute walk over to the AA gates.

aztimm May 18, 19 1:05 pm


Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 31114602)
Just hop the train 10 minutes before boarding starts.

So long as it isn't E, I much prefer walking among the terminals at DFW. It still isn't much more time. I've heard some horror stories about the train skipping stops, taking longer, breaking down, etc., so I'd rather rely only on myself to get around.

HofstraJet May 18, 19 1:32 pm


Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 31114741)
Kafe Kalik at FLL is not in the same terminal as AA but its airside, so once you clear security at Terminal 4, you can go to Kafe Kalik and its a 10 minute walk over to the AA gates.

Glad to see there's a PP spot at FLL. Anyone know how long it's been accepting PP? I live near FLL but try to fly out of MIA so I have a lounge but may now consider FLL again when I have to connect anyway since I can get a free meal.

C17PSGR May 18, 19 1:39 pm


Originally Posted by HofstraJet (Post 31114842)
Glad to see there's a PP spot at FLL. Anyone know how long it's been accepting PP? I live near FLL but try to fly out of MIA so I have a lounge but may now consider FLL again when I have to connect anyway since I can get a free meal.


Not sure how long it's been there but Kalik is decent and has a few choices. It's over in the Spirit part of FLL but its easy to get to the AA gates.

aamilesslave May 18, 19 1:55 pm

Coming from customs and immigration, you'll re-clear security in Terminal D for your connection, regardless of your connecting flight's departure terminal.

As mentioned above, all terminals are connected via SkyLink. The normal procedure is to take SkyLink to the terminal of your connecting flight if it goes out of a terminal other than D. So you can just visit the FL after re-clearing security.

YouGeeElWhy May 18, 19 3:17 pm


Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 31114602)
With skylink, any gate to any gate is roughly 10 minutes. All airside.

You can enjoy the FL in D and not worry at all. Just hop the train 10 minutes before boarding starts.

This is basically (on Reddit) a SLPT (S****y Life Pro Tip).

DO NOT only leave yourself only 10 minutes to go from one terminal to another. Now if your flight leaves from D that is another matter. Like every month there is a thread on FT about a poor SOB that missed their flight due to the Sky Link being down/out of order. DONíT be that person and leave at least 30 minutes before that way, if need be, you can walk.

Antarius May 18, 19 3:38 pm


Originally Posted by YouGeeElWhy (Post 31115052)
This is basically (on Reddit) a SLPT (S****y Life Pro Tip).

DO NOT only leave yourself only 10 minutes to go from one terminal to another. Now if your flight leaves from D that is another matter. Like every month there is a thread on FT about a poor SOB that missed their flight due to the Sky Link being down/out of order. DONíT be that person and leave at least 30 minutes before that way, if need be, you can walk.

10 minutes before the start of boarding. You'll be fine. That's still 45 mins before departure. Been thru DFW maybe 600 times in the last 7 years and there has been a train issue once.

I plan for traffic etc. But if the entire freeway is shut completely for hours and you are stuck, then .... happens - I dont leave for the airport 5 hours before my flight for the one time possibility that something breaks.

If the OP left 30 minutes before the start of boarding, that's over an hour before departure. Which would leave them standing around the gate for at least 20 minutes before boarding.

I respectfully disagree. The risk is too small to need mitigation plans.

Nicoolio May 18, 19 6:33 pm

I just use the AC closest to my gate. Haven't been to the new DFW FL, but while they are nice, I wouldn't go out of the way. Most of the food looks better on the blogs that it actually tastes. I always prefer to be at the AC closer to my gate so I don't have to worry about getting there too late because of some shuttle delay or too early because i left too much time. YMMV

Antarius May 18, 19 7:00 pm

Also, if the Skylink is down, everyone in DFW knows it. So the AAgents will tell you.

The only risk is if the Skylink shuts down right when you need it. And that's at or less likely than WX or MX delays on your plane.

coolcoil May 19, 19 5:21 am

FWIW, this is what I would do:

1. Stay in the FL until about 75 minutes before departure - plenty of time to fill up on food an booze.
2. Park myself in the AAdmirals Club near my departure gate until boarding starts.

As others have noted, you will probably be able to get to the other gate in a short time, but if all hell breaks loose you still have plenty of time, so no stress.

Spanish May 19, 19 6:06 am


Originally Posted by coolcoil (Post 31116291)
FWIW, this is what I would do:

1. Stay in the FL until about 75 minutes before departure - plenty of time to fill up on food an booze.
2. Park myself in the AAdmirals Club near my departure gate until boarding starts.

As others have noted, you will probably be able to get to the other gate in a short time, but if all hell breaks loose you still have plenty of time, so no stress.

This pretty good advice if you are worried to navigating the DFW aeroport. You'll also have plenty of time after the reclearing of securities to enjoy the lounge.

teemuflyer May 19, 19 6:49 am


Originally Posted by Nicoolio (Post 31115458)
I just use the AC closest to my gate. Haven't been to the new DFW FL, but while they are nice, I wouldn't go out of the way. Most of the food looks better on the blogs that it actually tastes. I always prefer to be at the AC closer to my gate so I don't have to worry about getting there too late because of some shuttle delay or too early because i left too much time. YMMV

The OP has a 5 hour layover. Even if clearing Immigration and CBP takes an hour, they still have 4 hours. The AA Flagship Lounges are considerably nicer than any domestic AC, by a country mile. As some others have suggested, spend a few hours at the FL, and then perhaps head to the AC at the terminal of one's departing flight to mitigate any potential delays in the terminal to terminal connections.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:38 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.