Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Move from UA to AA - Status match

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Look at DL
Old May 15, 2019, 9:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
UA flies PHX-LAS?!?
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
And PHX-SEA, apparently. News to me out of SEA.
If Google Flights is to be believed, they don't fly PHX to either LAS or SEA nonstop. They do offer 1-stop service.
There used to be a poster who left US, switched to UA, and flew PHX-SFO-SNA once, for work.

Originally Posted by boss315
Look at DL
DL has actually offered PHX-LAS service off/on over the years, I'm not sure if that is currently on or off, but it seems to fluctuate. Otherwise, they only fly from PHX to their hubs/focus cities. The OP is looking at the most nonstop flights from PHX to elsewhere. That means either AA or WN. He has already said no to WN.

To the OP: I know my company has a direct status match that our travel office takes care of, among all of the major airlines. There is no timeframe for it, you simply submit the paperwork, and they take care of it. But my company also automatically gets MCE seats on AA at booking (even those without status), so there obviously is some special agreement in place

I lived in the PHX area for about 20 years. Initially I continued to fly NW, but it got to be a pain connecting in DTW or MSP all the time. So I eventually switched to HP, which became US, which became AA. I probably flew WN at least once every year or 2, either flying with a co-worker, or because of schedule or price, and it makes a decent backup (I've only flown them on short-haul flights, about an hour). When US was in Star Alliance, I did fly UA a few times too, as they were partners.
But now it pretty much is AA or WN at PHX.
JDiver and wrp96 like this.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
You have to call and they send you a form and you fill it out with your last year totals (I also included YTD when I did it as I had already re qualified 1K in Jun 2016) and they sent me back a welcome letter and I had 90 days to get the EQM and maybe EQD and was matched to EXP immediately (a few days) - I don't remember the exact requirements.

If you are not 1K, I am almost sure they will steer you towards their status "Challenge" anyone can sign up for a AA account and click on the challenge, pay the fee and fly, if you meet the terms you get the status - but this does not work for EXP
Correct.
Old May 15, 2019, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by boss315
Look at DL
Why? That's the worst of both worlds: OP has to grind for continued status, unlike on UA where OP has LT Gold, OP won't get nonstops to a lot of places, unlike AA.

Originally Posted by aztimm
If Google Flights is to be believed, they don't fly PHX to either LAS or SEA nonstop. They do offer 1-stop service.
It would be through LAX or SFO. A PHX-LAX/SFO-SEA routing isn't too bad (though I am not a fan at connecting at either airport if there are alternatives- LAX is just bad and SFO gets too many ATC holds), but PHX-LAX/SFO-LAS routing on UA is doing it wrong unless you're segment/mileage running for status. Turning a one hour flight into the cluster* that's LAX or a four hour connection through SFO?
Old May 15, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, Ex-AA EXP, HZ Pres, MRT AMB/LTP
Originally Posted by enviroian
Matches are a thing of the past
Tell that to Delta.
Old May 15, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
You have to call and they send you a form and you fill it out with your last year totals (I also included YTD when I did it as I had already re qualified 1K in Jun 2016) and they sent me back a welcome letter and I had 90 days to get the EQM and maybe EQD and was matched to EXP immediately (a few days) - I don't remember the exact requirements.

If you are not 1K, I am almost sure they will steer you towards their status "Challenge" anyone can sign up for a AA account and click on the challenge, pay the fee and fly, if you meet the terms you get the status - but this does not work for EXP
Awesome. When I called last year and asked for a match from UA1k to EXP, I was told no...just a Plat challenge. Took me a good part of the year to qualify for EXP....
Old May 15, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA CC
I was in your shoes about 5 years ago. Not related to a geographical move, but I was just fed up with the horrible service with United / monetization of First Class. I called American and requested a status match (I was 1k on UA at the time with over 1.5M lifetime miles). They asked for copy of my UA 1k credentials which I provided along with summary of annual spend on United the past two years. I got a call back within 24 hours with a status match / challenge to fly x miles and spend y dollars within 90 days (which I easily met).

To be honest I did not have high expectations - I figured AA would be a little better than United, but not by much. I have been EXP or CK (AA's version of UA's Global Services) ever since moving my business over. I have been very happy with American / they have exceeded expectations to be honest. Airport staff, cabin crews generally friendlier than UA; much higher percentage of on-time flights.
Old May 15, 2019, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
don't be so quick to dismiss Southwest.

I fly weekly, primarily on Southwest and AA. Southwest is definitely better in coach and marginally inferior when in AA first.
Please provide more details. I am struggling to believe that SW is better than AA, especially when comparing any SW seat to any AA First. Would like to hear more about this
Old May 15, 2019, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
It is always worth calling. AA will be more interested in OP's current flying, spend, and status, then any lifetime background. OP should be prepared to accept a challenge rather than a match. But, as a practical matter, if one isn't flying enough to meet a typical challenge, then one would not last long with a status match either.
I am willing to accept a Challenge and think it is fair. I am flying enough to easily beat what their initial offer was today. This offer was $180, fly 12,500 in 3 months and spend $2000. Or pay $480 and have the status for the entire Challenge period.
However, that status would only be good until January 31, 2020 unless I earned it. I may not fly 50,000 from now until the end of the year. If I wait until June 16, the offer goes up to $280/$580 but the status lasts until January 2021. This is the option I am going to take I believe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.