Wiki Posts
Search

Booked when Platinum Pro, flying as Gold

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
Booked when Platinum Pro, flying as Gold

I booked CDG-MIA #63 in December as a PPro. I am flying as a Gold on that booked flight in two weeks. I actually booked a saver coach at 30K and was able to select a MCE bulkhead 17L. I had an alert set up for a saver in business but it never appeared. There appear to be only 12 open seats but I'm not hopeful and not sure I want to plunk down another 100000+ for an anytime business seat. But My main question is, am I to understand that I will received the airport benefits of WHEN I booked, so as a Platinum Pro, I will get two checked bags fee waived? What about priority boarding? Will it actually show on my boarding pass Plat Pro or Gold? I am thinking I will not get the AA lounge even though I was Plat Pro when booked. I have CSR so can access Priority Pass lounge. And its my understanding regardless, since I have an MCE I can order alcohol. I took a transatlantic cruise over, so still have questions since losing my status.

Can someone shed light on their experience on this. Thank you. Linda
Old May 14, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by trekker954
I booked CDG-MIA #63 in December as a PPro. I am flying as a Gold on that booked flight in two weeks. I actually booked a saver coach at 30K and was able to select a MCE bulkhead 17L. I had an alert set up for a saver in business but it never appeared. There appear to be only 12 open seats but I'm not hopeful and not sure I want to plunk down another 100000+ for an anytime business seat. But My main question is, am I to understand that I will received the airport benefits of WHEN I booked, so as a Platinum Pro, I will get two checked bags fee waived? What about priority boarding? Will it actually show on my boarding pass Plat Pro or Gold? I am thinking I will not get the AA lounge even though I was Plat Pro when booked. I have CSR so can access Priority Pass lounge. And its my understanding regardless, since I have an MCE I can order alcohol. I took a transatlantic cruise over, so still have questions since losing my status.

Can someone shed light on their experience on this. Thank you. Linda
Aside from being able to reserve an MCE seat at booking due to your former status, nothing else carries over. You get AA Gold benefits at the airport, and no lounge access unless you have an AC membership. You will get Priority Boarding based on your Gold status and this will be reflected on your BP. And yes, you will have free drinks in MCE.
Old May 14, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL PL, B6 M3
AA's policy for baggage allowance.

Complimentary bags

In some cases, you won't have to pay the fees for up to 3 bags. If you qualify for complimentary bags based on elite status, the benefits are based on your highest status level at time of ticketing or check-in.

If your status level is:
  • Higher at ticketing than at check-in, show your ticket receipt to the airport agent
  • Lower at ticketing than at check-in, current benefits will automatically apply
rasheed and laagima like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
Just to update all. I received ALL benefits with my previous year Platinum Pro status since I booked it then but flew as Gold. I received priority checkin, I received access to the American Airlines Admirals Club in Paris, I received priority security lines in CDG. Also allowed with me was my daughter flying on a different ticket. As I had an economy plus seat (Bulkhead (the two seater) but the one right behind business with the wall that does not go to the floor), I was able to put my carryon under the seat in front of me and also stretch out. The passenger in the seat next to me got upgraded, so my daughter was able to be moved up with the flight attendants permission. It turned out to be a great flight experience CDG-MIA for a saver of 30K. I had an EF seat alert for almost a year waiting on a saver business but never got one alert.
GrumpyYoungMan and Gig103 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by trekker954
Just to update all. I received ALL benefits with my previous year Platinum Pro status since I booked it then but flew as Gold. I received priority checkin, I received access to the American Airlines Admirals Club in Paris, I received priority security lines in CDG. Also allowed with me was my daughter flying on a different ticket. As I had an economy plus seat (Bulkhead (the two seater) but the one right behind business with the wall that does not go to the floor), I was able to put my carryon under the seat in front of me and also stretch out. The passenger in the seat next to me got upgraded, so my daughter was able to be moved up with the flight attendants permission. It turned out to be a great flight experience CDG-MIA for a saver of 30K. I had an EF seat alert for almost a year waiting on a saver business but never got one alert.
In this case, I'm happy to be proven wrong! Don't know if was a fluke, but who cares!!

BTW, what did your BP say your status was?
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, National Executive
I'm flying tomorrow from DFW-OGG. I booked when I was EXP back in Jan and now I am only gold. My boarding pass says group 4. We are not checking any bags.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
In this case, I'm happy to be proven wrong! Don't know if was a fluke, but who cares!!

BTW, what did your BP say your status was?
It's not a fluke but it's also not guaranteed. The way this works is that your airline status is essentially imprinted onto the PNR when the ticket is issued. As long as nothing happens which causes the ticket to be re-issued you will maintain the status on the ticket. This also DOES transfer to partner airlines. For example, if you book a J award flight with AA miles on a BA operated flight while possessing Platinum status, you will be able to select your seat for free. If you end up changing the routing of the flights you will maintain that ability, even if your status has already dropped. However, if you change your origin for the flight then the ticket has to be re-issued and you will lose that ability. I know this from experience.

There are a number of reasons for a ticket being re-issued that can happen outside of your control. So while it's often the case that you maintain the perks of the status when the ticket was issued, you can lose them as well. I've also heard stories of domestic upgrades clearing and then the gate agents noticing the error and fixing it themselves -- thus putting you back in coach. This is rare though and requires a particularly astute and zealous agent.
teemuflyer likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I do remember a couple of years ago, I was plat and dropped down to gold; the turnover date was Feb. 28 then. I few out in late February and returned March 2. I checked two bags free on the way out, and I was allowed to check two for free on the return. I don't know if it was because I was Plat when I booked, or Plat when I flew the outbound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.