Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Transport, Baggage Between LCY and LHR (long London connection)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 4:35 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist

Next Spring, we will be flying out of Florence back to LAX. Our routing is FLR-LCY on BA, a 29 hour layover in London, then LHR-LAX on AA. I know that BA and AA have an interline agreement. My issue is, can we just check our luggage straight through, or will we have to collect it at LCY, carry it across London, then recheck it at LHR. Anyone know one way or another?
Old May 13, 2019, 4:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You will have to collect your baggage; you cannot check baggage through from 1 London airport to another
Even if it was possible, I am not aware of any airport that allows checking of baggage through where there is a stopover; even if you were arriving at Heathrow, you would have to collect bags and wait until the next day
Old May 13, 2019, 6:23 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Oh, well. What a hassle, dragging our bags across London on the Tube.
Old May 13, 2019, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Hoc
This may be a partial solution, albeit an expensive one. They do not pick up from LCY but can pick up from most hotels. But then again, you've already gone through half the hassle. Otherwise there's always Uber.

https://airportr.com/ba/
Old May 13, 2019, 6:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As you’ve seen, there’s no direct public transport connection between LCY and LHR.Drive time can be expected as 1 - 2 hours, depending on traffic.

Here’s a link to a page on Rome2Rio with six ways to make the trip.

in part as far as public transport: What companies run services between London City Airport (LCY), England and Heathrow Terminal 5 Underground Station, England?
There is no direct connection from London City Airport (LCY) to Heathrow Terminal 5 Underground Station. However, you can take the train to Canning Town DLR Station, take the walk to Canning Town station, take the subway to Baker Street station, take the subway to Paddington station, take the walk to London Paddington, then take the train to Heathrow Terminal 5. Alternatively, you can take a vehicle from London City Airport (LCY) to Heathrow Terminal 5 Underground Station via Canning Town DLR Station, Canning Town station, and Green Park station in around 1h 20m.
I found one reference in a TripAdvisor closed thread regarding public transport indicating it might be nfaster than a car if during congested traffic.

The DLR plus Underground journey is step free from start to finish. The terminal building at LCY is about two minutes' walk from the DLR station, which has escalators or lifts from the ticket hall to the plaforms. There are lifts at Canning Town as well. The change from one platform to another involves a short walk and will take no more than three or four minutes, including waiting for the lift.

At Green Park there are lifts, but it's far easier to take the escalator up to the ticket hall from the Jubilee line platform then another down to the Piccadilly line platform for the train to LHR T5. The connection via lift *does* involve a long hike but the escalator route does not. I make the change at Green Park fairly often (and made the change at Canning Town a couple of months ago) with bags in tow, and whilst slower than when unecumbered, it is far from difficult.

The walk from the Underground station to the lifts at T5 will take one minute. The lifts go straight up to Departures.
If you can change your ticket without paying a lot of money, National Express does offer busses between LGW and LHR, if your connection can’t be made at LHR.

We will move this to the proper forum soon, leaving a trailing link.

Old May 13, 2019, 7:18 pm

The OP does have a stopover in London, so a resonable chance that the OP wants to be in London and not at an airport

LCY is a great airport for arriving and departing from and has an easy journey to the London and Westminster cities

With 29 hours, no reason to change to LGW and , if holding status which affords lounge access, there would be no lounge access if booked on the BA codeshare to LGW
Old May 14, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The OP does have a stopover in London, so a resonable chance that the OP wants to be in London and not at an airport

LCY is a great airport for arriving and departing from and has an easy journey to the London and Westminster cities

With 29 hours, no reason to change to LGW and , if holding status which affords lounge access, there would be no lounge access if booked on the BA codeshare to LGW
29 hours is more than a day, i.e. a stopover in London
Old May 14, 2019, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by miklcct
29 hours is more than a day, i.e. a stopover in London
Isn't that what I said?
Old May 14, 2019, 2:38 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Isn't that what I said?
I misread does as doesn't, sorry
Old May 14, 2019, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
As you’ve seen, there’s no direct public transport connection between LCY and LHR.Drive time can be expected as 1 - 2 hours, depending on traffic.

Here’s a link to a page on Rome2Rio with six ways to make the trip.

I found one reference in a TripAdvisor closed thread regarding public transport indicating it might be nfaster than a car if during congested traffic.

If you can change your ticket without paying a lot of money, National Express does offer busses between LGW and LHR, if your connection can’t be made at LHR.

We will move this to the proper forum soon, leaving a trailing link.

I did a LHR-to LCY trip yesterday from Terminal 4 at LHR. It helps that I caught the Heathrow Express connection from T4 just right, then hardly waited for Bakerloo, Jubilee or DLR at Canning Town. I left LHR T4 at 1240 and was through security at LCY before 2pm. About 25 pounds cost between HEX ticket and tube/DLR so certainly one of the most economical prices for the relative quickness of the trip. It can be much cheaper than this of course by doing only the tube as opposed to the Heathrow express to Paddington
Old May 14, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Assume you'll be overnighting n London. Would suggest using the DLR into London and once central take (if needed) a cab to your hotel. When you go out to LHR the following day recommend the Heathrow Express. I usually book advance tickets on the Heathrow Express which are very reasonable when obtained a few weeks ahead and provide the most rapid and convenient way to the airport.
Old May 14, 2019, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hoc
Oh no, what a hassle - taking your bags from the airport to your hotel, and then from your hotel to the airport the next day.

The only other option I can think of is to ship them via DHL or something directly from Florence to LA.
:D! likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Depending on where the OP is staying in London once they arrive at LCY the tube can be quicker and more economical and convenient that the Heathrow Express.

Why add extra steps in to the trip especially if you are as averse to carrying your luggage as the OP appears to be!
Dave Noble and :D! like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by chfenton
I did a LHR-to LCY trip yesterday from Terminal 4 at LHR. It helps that I caught the Heathrow Express connection from T4 just right, then hardly waited for Bakerloo, Jubilee or DLR at Canning Town. I left LHR T4 at 1240 and was through security at LCY before 2pm. About 25 pounds cost between HEX ticket and tube/DLR so certainly one of the most economical prices for the relative quickness of the trip. It can be much cheaper than this of course by doing only the tube as opposed to the Heathrow express to Paddington
I wouldn't have taken the Heathrow Express - the tube + dlr is much cheaper and not much different in journey time. The HEX is good if destination is Paddington, but not that amazing otherwise - and very expensive at £27.80 with a 1hr 5 minute journey approx vs 1 hr 20 minutes approx by tube+dlr and a cost of £3.10 off peak (after 09:30) or £12.10 peak (before 09:30)

Using Heathrow express requires 3 change - Heathrow Express to Paddington , Bakerloo line to Baker Street,Jubilee line to Canning Town, DLR to London City Airport
Using DLR requires 2 changes - Picadilly line to Green Park, Jubilee line to Canning Town, DLR to London City Airport
Old May 14, 2019, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Oh no, what a hassle - taking your bags from the airport to your hotel, and then from your hotel to the airport the next day.

The only other option I can think of is to ship them via DHL or something directly from Florence to LA.
Or more realistically, use a service ( like mentioned above) use the Airportr service, which will charge from GBP30 for 1 bag and will collect the bag from hotel and take it to the airport and check it in for the flight; once collected, no need to touch it again

If wanting not to have to even take bags to hotel, then changing journey to be FLR-LGW ( if no/low change fee ) the service has a drop off facility at Gatwick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.