Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Domestic Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CFC / "Standby"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Domestic Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CFC / "Standby"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Couple of points I learned this week about Stand-by & SDFC

1) I tried to SDFC from a PIT-LGA to a PIT-JFK flight - no co-terminus any more (already covered in the thread, I believe)

2) When I got to the airport, I tried to Stand-by the PIT-JFK flight and got rejected by the GA & supervisor. The EXP line had told me that it was doable but only at airport.
When I called in for clarification, they researched it and found out that a co-terminus switch was allowable but only if the fare allowed it and that would be that the fare was valid for the alternate routing when it was sold. They further researched whether my fare was OK and came back to me with that info. Unfortunately, at that time, the flight had closed so I couldn't get on it.

So, if you have a flight where there's a chance that you might want to switch to a co-terminus airport, it would be wise to have the information at your fingertips as getting it trying to make a flight could be tough. Also, the PIT GA basically said that their instructions were not allowed and this little wrinkle was not in them. So, one might have a hard time getting a GA to allow it if the training/documentation doesn't mention it.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by JMN57
Couple of points I learned this week about Stand-by & SDFC

1) I tried to SDFC from a PIT-LGA to a PIT-JFK flight - no co-terminus any more (already covered in the thread, I believe)

2) When I got to the airport, I tried to Stand-by the PIT-JFK flight and got rejected by the GA & supervisor. The EXP line had told me that it was doable but only at airport.
When I called in for clarification, they researched it and found out that a co-terminus switch was allowable but only if the fare allowed it and that would be that the fare was valid for the alternate routing when it was sold. They further researched whether my fare was OK and came back to me with that info. Unfortunately, at that time, the flight had closed so I couldn't get on it.

So, if you have a flight where there's a chance that you might want to switch to a co-terminus airport, it would be wise to have the information at your fingertips as getting it trying to make a flight could be tough. Also, the PIT GA basically said that their instructions were not allowed and this little wrinkle was not in them. So, one might have a hard time getting a GA to allow it if the training/documentation doesn't mention it.
Yes, GAs do make up their own rules, especially ones that keep them from having to do extra work. But they can do absolutely wonderful things when you give them the time to work it out and not being demanding or a DYKWIA. But I really get irritated (to myself) when the CSRs say do it at the airport and the airport says no.

I had a GA switch me from DFW/MIA/LIM/SCL to DFW/SCL due to a mx. The really nice part was I had been trying for the non-stop flight for a while, but no SWU availability. So got F the whole way down instead of Y on LA for LIM/SCL.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA: EXP Hilton: Gold, SPG: Gold, Hyatt: Plat
I understand the rule on keeping the number of connections the same, but what is the logic behind not being allowed to change the connection city?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
Further complicating standby to a co-terminal is that reservations and airport agents aren't necessarily looking at the same reference files.

Originally Posted by lax555
I understand the rule on keeping the number of connections the same, but what is the logic behind not being allowed to change the connection city?
The official word is due to a "pricing issue". I'm not entirely sure what it means either.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
The issue seems to be one about re-ticketing. Keeping everything the same doesn't require re-ticketing.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
Further complicating standby to a co-terminal is that reservations and airport agents aren't necessarily looking at the same reference files.

The official word is due to a "pricing issue". I'm not entirely sure what it means either.
If I were to guess, the way AA prices connections there may be a premium path from point A to B and a cheaper path. What they are concerned about is people buying the cheaper path and then SDFC to the more expensive path.

If this is in fact the case, it strikes me that they are overthinking the ways that they can be gamed. Sure, it might happen a bit but to restrict SDFC as they have reduces its usefulness quite a bit for an EXP (frequent traveler) and rather than build loyalty (cheaply, I might add as it requires E inventory to do) it diminishes it.

Last edited by JMN57; Feb 22, 2016 at 9:51 am
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:54 pm

AA didn't implement the CFC restrictions to screw the customer or because folks were taking advantage of pricing/routing.

It had to do with airport agents needing to re-ticket when there was a routing change. It took too much time, and as you can imagine, on certain routes and during IRROPs, it could overwhelm the GAs. So these restrictions were put in place.

AA is aware of the problem and looking for a solution.

Also let's not forget CFC is a revenue stream for AA since non-EXPs/CKs have to pay $75 for it -- so there is an incentive to fine a solution.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by sukn
AA didn't implement the CFC restrictions to screw the customer or because folks were taking advantage of pricing/routing.

Also let's not forget CFC is a revenue stream for AA since non-EXPs/CKs have to pay $75 for it -- so there is an incentive to fine a solution.
How appropriate of a typo!
Old Feb 22, 2016, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
How appropriate of a typo!
You're right! And so I won't fix it.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by sukn

It had to do with airport agents needing to re-ticket when there was a routing change. It took too much time, and as you can imagine, on certain routes and during IRROPs, it could overwhelm the GAs. So these restrictions were put in place.

Well I glad to hear that (if this is true) the current policy has more to do with operational issues than AA's sense of what a customer should be able to reasonably do within the context of SDFC. And I hope that they get on top of those operational challenges and return to a more realistic and customer friendly version of SDFC.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
How flexible is AA about opening E inventory closer to departure? UA typically opens up inventory within a few hours of the flight. I can't find any E inventory on any day using EF for my route, but wondering if I get to the airport 8 hours early (coming off a cruise ship) if the agents would just put me on an earlier flight despite no E. Do they have more flexibility for EXP at the airport day of departure?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
How flexible is AA about opening E inventory closer to departure? UA typically opens up inventory within a few hours of the flight. I can't find any E inventory on any day using EF for my route, but wondering if I get to the airport 8 hours early (coming off a cruise ship) if the agents would just put me on an earlier flight despite no E. Do they have more flexibility for EXP at the airport day of departure?
E inventory is required for confirmed SDFC. I don't think that E is necessary for a pure stand-by but a) needs to be same routing and b) if your not EXP it will cost.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 11:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by JMN57
E inventory is required for confirmed SDFC. I don't think that E is necessary for a pure stand-by but a) needs to be same routing and b) if your not EXP it will cost.
IME, E inventory can change by the hour or even minute, especially as departure approaches. I've found that at T-24, it might be E0, but then 2 hours later, E2, then an hour later, E0 again, then a few hours later, E3. It really depends. And some flights may be E7 from when you first start checking all the way till departure.

So if you don't find E inventory right away at T-24, check the seat map, if there's quite a few empty seats, there might still be hope that E will open up. Set an alert on EF to help you keep looking
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:32 pm

Programs: US Silver; WN A-List; Marriott Plat Premier
Worst GA ever!

Scheduled to fly SMF-PHX today at 715p. Day done early so arrived and approached gate to request complimentary standby on the 420p. Had been watching inventory (available seats) on this flight thinking I might get done early and be able to move up my flight. Well, the GA walked up to the gate complaining about having to work the ticket counter and "she had to get out of there." I asked politely if I could get on the earlier flight. She stated it would be $75. I stated that I was AA Gold and that I thought the fee was waived. She said that was not true and I had to pay $75. I asked again and if the policy had changed. She said she had done this all week and there was a charge to be confirmed on the flight. I stated I didn't want to be confirmed on the flight but that I wanted to be placed on the Standby list. She said she couldn't do that and had worked for AA for years and knew what she was doing. I paid the fee. I called AA and they, of course, said she should not have done this. Now I have to write a letter to request refund. BTW, same GA started boarding the flight 15 minutes early and started announcing that bags HAD to be checked when the plane was at most 75% full with a lot of bin space.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Question

Odd... I had the same exact experience today flying from SLC-PHX. Originally scheduled for 8:20pm, but I finished work early in the day, so I was hoping to catch the earlier flight at 5:15pm.

I arrived at the ticketing counter and I requested the complimentary standby for the 5:15pm flight. The agent appeared confused and asked the supervisor on what to do. The supervisor informed me that it would cost $75 to process the change. I told her I did not want a confirmed flight change, but to be placed on the standby list. She said it was because the earlier flight had available space, so I couldn't technically be placed in standby.

I reluctantly paid the $75, since I really wanted to get home sooner. So who is right in this case?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.