Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Domestic Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CFC / "Standby"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Domestic Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CFC / "Standby"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SamOF
What do you mean you did SDFC back to the original flight after the earlier one got delayed? It sounds like you just did a garden-variety IROPS rebooking, which will often lead to a higher fare class.
Well, of course it's hard for me to say exactly what the GA did. But at the time I asked her to put me back on the 6:45 flight, the 5:05 was still listed as delayed till 6:00 (though it was 5:55 and maintenance was still on the plane, so nobody actually thought we would leave at 6), and it would be a while yet before they canceled it. So I would not think it would be an IRROPS rebooking...it was me asking for the other flight while at least in theory the flight I was on was "live" if that makes sense. Certainly happy to be educated if I'm misunderstanding how that works.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
Does SDFC sometimes change the booking class of the ticket? I booked an L fare ORD-STL one way a couple days ago, did SDFC to a flight 1.5 hours earlier, then did SDFC back to the original flight after the earlier one got delayed (and later canceled about the time I was boarding the "later" flight ); it posted to my AAdvantage account as a Y fare, earning 750 EQM for a <500 mile flight.

I also got upgraded to J before the first SDFC, gave it up to take the earlier flight, and then after the second SDFC got upgraded again. No idea if any of that could affect it. But one way or another I definitely earned Y EQM on a flight I booked as L; I went back and checked the original email I got from AMEX after booking just to be sure.

Very interested to know if this has happened to anybody else and/or if we know any more about what might trigger it. Also my apologies if this was already discussed in this thread...I read a few pages, but wasn't willing to do all 37
When you get into IRROPS situations, GAs have often taken shortcuts to get the new booking through the system. After all, a seat is a seat. I've had upgraded flights get switched to full F on future flights just because it was easier for them. Being polite with the GAs will get you a lot further than badgering them, the old vinegar vs honey saying is very true.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
Well, of course it's hard for me to say exactly what the GA did. But at the time I asked her to put me back on the 6:45 flight, the 5:05 was still listed as delayed till 6:00 (though it was 5:55 and maintenance was still on the plane, so nobody actually thought we would leave at 6), and it would be a while yet before they canceled it. So I would not think it would be an IRROPS rebooking...it was me asking for the other flight while at least in theory the flight I was on was "live" if that makes sense. Certainly happy to be educated if I'm misunderstanding how that works.
Yeah, that's definitely an IROPS rebooking. It doesn't matter if the flight you're on has been cancelled or only delayed--if an agent is moving you to a different flight because of a delay, that follows the IROPS rebooking rules.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:05 am

I am trying to do a same day change on an AA Vacations itinerary. The EXP desk is saying they can't do anything with it because it is AA Vacations and that I'd need to contact them. Has anyone been successful in doing this? If true, it seems AA Vacations is more hassle than the savings.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RogerD408
When you get into IRROPS situations, GAs have often taken shortcuts to get the new booking through the system. After all, a seat is a seat. I've had upgraded flights get switched to full F on future flights just because it was easier for them.
That's really interesting to know. Don't suppose there's much I can do to influence those decisions, but it could slightly change my decision making in situations where it's a close call as to whether I ask for the other flight.

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Being polite with the GAs will get you a lot further than badgering them, the old vinegar vs honey saying is very true.
Words to live by. In this case I had been having a good natured conversation with that GA and a maintenance supervisor for a few minutes when we got some information that suggested the delay was going to be more significant. So yeah, I think she had me figured for a nice fellow; hard to say if that helped anything, but I reckon it didn't hurt.

Yeah, that's definitely an IROPS rebooking. It doesn't matter if the flight you're on has been cancelled or only delayed--if an agent is moving you to a different flight because of a delay, that follows the IROPS rebooking rules.
Gotcha, thanks for clarifying.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Is there a new rule that SDFC is not applicable on award reservations? Several agents just told me that they could not do a SDFC on an award unless T was available, despite the fact that E was available.

If this is a rule, why isn't it listed in any of the public documentation?
PSA -- If your award ticket was issued by anyone other than AA, it will not be eligible for SDFC. This exception is NOT spelled out in the T&C of SDFC but it needs to be. Cash tickets issued by other airlines are eligible, but if it's an award issued by another airline, no dice.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: Once upon a time...
Hey, trying to understand SDC in a scenario I have. Seems pretty simple, but I'm still not sure...

Looking to fly YUL-PHL-SAN on 8/4. Itinerary with a 4 1/2 hour layover is $503. Itinerary with same YUL-PHL but 1 1/2 layover is $747. If I buy the first itinerary at a lower price, I should be able to change to the earlier PHL-SAN flight 24 hours before the YUL-PHL check in time, business class space permitting, correct? And I cannot change to a different connection city, correct?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by veeRob
Hey, trying to understand SDC in a scenario I have. Seems pretty simple, but I'm still not sure...

Looking to fly YUL-PHL-SAN on 8/4. Itinerary with a 4 1/2 hour layover is $503. Itinerary with same YUL-PHL but 1 1/2 layover is $747. If I buy the first itinerary at a lower price, I should be able to change to the earlier PHL-SAN flight 24 hours before the YUL-PHL check in time, business class space permitting, correct? And I cannot change to a different connection city, correct?
24hs before the new PHL-SAN departure time, so if your current PHL-SAN is at 6pm but the earlier flight is at 4:30pm, you can select (if SDFC is available) the day before at 4:31pm (sometimes it take a few minutes).
Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: Once upon a time...
Originally Posted by fedechat
24hs before the new PHL-SAN departure time, so if your current PHL-SAN is at 6pm but the earlier flight is at 4:30pm, you can select (if SDFC is available) the day before at 4:31pm (sometimes it take a few minutes).
Wow, that's super confusing. But thank you! So best not to check-in for my first flight until 24 hours before the earlier 2nd flight. Got it.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:49 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I've always thought SDFC was available on award tickets, based on the website:

I think it's always been a bit of a hassle for me to get it done, but I've done it on several occasions. I remember cases of the agent saying there had to be T, but I'd respond with "no, no, I'm not trying to do an award change, I understand I can always change times or dates on awards, I want to do a Same-Day Flight Change" and eventually it got straightened out.
so is that the official policy? I was curious about this myself and I called the EXP desk and an agent told me that they always look for E for SDFC even when flying in a T ticket.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Gotta love it when you buy F and due to disruption of services that you have to fly Y due to the fact that upgrades on the next day of service have happened.

That was my experience on Thursday at DFW. Due to the lighting that was happening at DFW on Wednesday, my flight from BNA to DFW was delayed 3 hours. So was my DFW-SFO flight. But airborne, the SFO flight got an update and it left 5 mins before I landed at DFW.

Best services that could confirm me a F seat was to wait until the next day for a PM flight. Otherwise I would have to go standby for F. I wasn't that interested with 12+ just to get F. But still. I was disappointed. But I was taken care of very well in Y. Gate agent got me exit row seat at near bathroom on A321. Think I might have kicked someone out of that seat at least.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
If I SDFC from a nonstop to a connection, will I get EQMs/EQSs based on the original itinerary or EQMs/EQSs for actual miles/segments flown on the new connecting flights?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
If I SDFC from a nonstop to a connection, will I get EQMs/EQSs based on the original itinerary or EQMs/EQSs for actual miles/segments flown on the new connecting flights?
​​​​​​IIRC, you cannot change number of connections or connecting city on a SDFC, so you will be getting EQM/EQS based on your original rerouting.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:53 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
​​​​​​IIRC, you cannot change number of connections or connecting city on a SDFC, so you will be getting EQM/EQS based on your original rerouting.
Any idea if I can change a flight with one stop to a flight with one connection (not sure on the terminology... but if I am ticketed in F on AAx which is a single flight number that goes ABC-DEF-GHI can I same day standby/flight change to AAy ABC-DEF and AAz DEF-GHI?

I had a look through the resources/wikis but couldn't see anything on this.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by absoluy
Any idea if I can change a flight with one stop to a flight with one connection (not sure on the terminology... but if I am ticketed in F on AAx which is a single flight number that goes ABC-DEF-GHI can I same day standby/flight change to AAy ABC-DEF and AAz DEF-GHI?

I had a look through the resources/wikis but couldn't see anything on this.
I think it depends on if you are ticketed ABC-GHI or ABC-DEF-GHI. If it is the former I would think you could only SDFC to another non-stop (or direct, which is what that would be even with the intervening stop at DEF). If it is the latter then you could only SDFC to another set of flights on the same routing. Not sure on the first part though, so hopefully someone else can confirm or deny.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.