FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Premium Economy: AA PE vs BA WTP / World Traveller Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1969378-premium-economy-aa-pe-vs-ba-wtp-world-traveller-plus.html)

Ed Size May 12, 2019 11:49 am

Premium Economy: AA PE vs BA WTP / World Traveller Plus

I have the choice between WTP and AA PE on the LHR - ORD route. I did BA WTP on the A380 and was not convinced at all, the seat was OK, the service was a mess. The offerings really nothing to write home about - the best thing was that the flight was short.

So will AA deliver better? Specially the service part? On BA you have to go to the galley to get you drinks - but even then you don´t get them really. The second meal service was just not existent - I mean it was a joke.

So what you guys think - will AA deliver a seat of the same quality? (pitch is important to me) And will they do better service? Also what about the chances for upgrades as a OW Emerald? With BA I always had good experiences when traveling Club World - I have a 50% upgrade ratio to First - but in WTP it did not feel like they even know which status on have.

enviroian May 12, 2019 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Ed Size (Post 31093588)
IAlso what about the chances for upgrades as a OW Emerald?

What upgrade instruments are you using?

Ed Size May 12, 2019 11:58 am

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 31093601)
What upgrade instruments are you using?

What instruments can I use beside my credit card? Since I don´t have points or vouchers with AA (only have this with AY and BA).

enviroian May 12, 2019 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Ed Size (Post 31093611)
What instruments can I use beside my credit card? Since I don´t have points or vouchers with AA (only have this with AY and BA).

Unless a TOD upgrade becomes available there also might be a buy up opportunity. I'm not sure if your avios are redeemable for upgrade as I'll refer that over to someone else.

JonNYC May 12, 2019 1:18 pm

I have the choice between WTP and AA PE on the LHR - ORD route. I did BA WTP on the A380 and was not convinced at all, the seat was OK, the service was a mess. The offerings really nothing to write home about - the best thing was that the flight was short.

So will AA deliver better? Specially the service part? On BA you have to go to the galley to get you drinks - but even then you don´t get them really. The second meal service was just not existent - I mean it was a joke.

So what you guys think - will AA deliver a seat of the same quality? (pitch is important to me) And will they do better service? Also what about the chances for upgrades as a OW Emerald? With BA I always had good experiences when traveling Club World - I have a 50% upgrade ratio to First - but in WTP it did not feel like they even know which status on have.

Stick with BA.

Austin787 May 12, 2019 2:42 pm

Book whichever airline has a lower fare or better schedule.

DrunkenDuck May 12, 2019 4:44 pm

I’ve flown both. TWP is worse than AA. Especially the 747. If you get window on a BAA380, that’s good. The BA screens suck. Especially the 747’s which look like Nintendo DS. Food is meh on both. Difference between each isn’t worth that much money. If you are BA elite, stick with that I think unless the AA is the same price and your not on a BA 747. I’d avoid that for a small price.

Antarius May 12, 2019 4:55 pm

The a380 is also really ugly. So personally, I would avoid it.

enviroian May 12, 2019 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 31094477)
The a380 is also really ugly. So personally, I would avoid it.

lol

carlosdca May 12, 2019 8:46 pm

So what you guys think - will AA deliver a seat of the same quality? (pitch is important to me) And will they do better service?

I don't think AA offers better service than BA on PE.
AA PE seats are very similar to BA WTP (AA IFE is more modern, not that it makes a difference to me once the movie starts).

Seems to me you are expecting too much from PE (or WTP), it is economy in the end, not business.

Dave Noble May 12, 2019 8:59 pm

I would pick AA for the ORD-LHR run since BA doesn't offer a daytime service and PE on a daytime service is quite decent

If you go with some expectation of a free upgrade, I think that you will be setting yourself up for disappointment

enviroian May 12, 2019 9:21 pm

The food has to be better on AA. BA food is awful.

Shadowfactor May 12, 2019 9:56 pm

I’d go with AA over BA.

Seats are better, food is slightly better and the booze selection is better IMO.

Andriyko May 12, 2019 11:30 pm

There is no sizeable difference between AA and BA in premium economy. Food and drinks are somewhat better on BA, and so is the service. The seat is better on AA, and one gets a nice big pillow, which makes it more comfortable. Entertainment is also better on AA. Overall, there is really no tangible difference to compel one select one airline over the other. It is not a 'flat bed vs recliner seat' situation.

flyer0123 May 13, 2019 9:09 am

I had 2 long haul trips on BA PE and 2 on AA PE and I didn't notice any major difference. Both had terrible service and Food. Both are definitely better than being in Economy. Based on my experience, I would choose whoever offers better price and/or timing