Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Premium Economy: AA PE vs BA WTP / World Traveller Plus

Premium Economy: AA PE vs BA WTP / World Traveller Plus

Old May 13, 19, 11:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
I've had pleasant experiences on both, with surprisingly good and attentive service. In terms of differences, YMMV, but from my most recent experiences:
  • Depending on the aircraft, WTP cabins can feel quite dated, with dirty surfaces and antiquated IFE. AA's hard product is far superior.
  • The food on both is fine - equivalent of a domestic First meal, though I'd say AA's second meal offerings are far superior than BA's.
  • You'll get a PDB (champagne, water, OJ) on WTP, nothing on AA (that's the policy, not a service failure).
  • Although I don't know for certain, I got the impression that WTP has one or more dedicated FAs. AA's PE does not.
  • If you're the type of person who cares about these things, BA uses glassware for wine in WTP; AA uses plastic (like DL and UA, I believe).
Old May 13, 19, 11:39 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I prefer AA’s seat and pillow. I don’t know which equipment BA uses to/from ORD, but while the mid-J 747s (Unless refurbished) are bad and their IFE is dreadful, I prefer the IFE content on BA’s 380s, Super High J 747’s , and 777s —yes, AA has better screens, but never shows anything I want to watch. I think AA’s food is slightly better—wines on either are barely potable.
i generally prefer BA’s FAs.

Last edited by rfrost; May 13, 19 at 11:46 am
Old May 13, 19, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Ed Size View Post
I have the choice between WTP and AA PE on the LHR - ORD route. I did BA WTP on the A380 and was not convinced at all, the seat was OK, the service was a mess. The offerings really nothing to write home about - the best thing was that the flight was short.
I just faced the same choice: WTP on the A380 or AA PE on the 789. Although I would expect better service on BA (even with a mixed fleet crew), I chose AA based on the aircraft and schedule. I guess I'll take my chances on a 15K upgrade (no copay at least). Let me know which you choose and how it works out.
Old May 14, 19, 7:08 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyer0123 View Post
I had 2 long haul trips on BA PE and 2 on AA PE and I didn't notice any major difference. Both had terrible service and Food. Both are definitely better than being in Economy. Based on my experience, I would choose whoever offers better price and/or timing
The main selling point of PE on both is of course the seat size and the additional pitch.

Originally Posted by AAEmpireState View Post
I've had pleasant experiences on both, with surprisingly good and attentive service. In terms of differences, YMMV, but from my most recent experiences:
  • Depending on the aircraft, WTP cabins can feel quite dated, with dirty surfaces and antiquated IFE. AA's hard product is far superior.
  • The food on both is fine - equivalent of a domestic First meal, though I'd say AA's second meal offerings are far superior than BA's.
  • You'll get a PDB (champagne, water, OJ) on WTP, nothing on AA (that's the policy, not a service failure).
  • Although I don't know for certain, I got the impression that WTP has one or more dedicated FAs. AA's PE does not.
  • If you're the type of person who cares about these things, BA uses glassware for wine in WTP; AA uses plastic (like DL and UA, I believe).
On AA the main meal is the same selections as are available in J, but just not plated as fancy. Wines and such, not so much.
BA does indeed have dedicated crew members for PE vs. AA.
The fact that BA offers a PDB and serve their drinks in actual glassware is a nice touch. Can't believe AA can't do this a minimal extra cost.

Originally Posted by rfrost View Post
I prefer AA’s seat and pillow. I don’t know which equipment BA uses to/from ORD, but while the mid-J 747s (Unless refurbished) are bad and their IFE is dreadful, I prefer the IFE content on BA’s 380s, Super High J 747’s , and 777s —yes, AA has better screens, but never shows anything I want to watch. I think AA’s food is slightly better—wines on either are barely potable.
i generally prefer BA’s FAs.
The casper setup is quite nice on AA. Definitely better than what BA offers.
bscooter26 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: