Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ViaSat disconnecting - common issue?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, WN RapidRewards, DL SkyMiles, UA Mileage Plus, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
ViaSat disconnecting - common issue?

Hey everyone, long time reader, first time poster.

I flew AA 1931 BWI-PHX on Friday on an Oasis-ified 738, and experienced ViaSat for the first time. The speeds were great but I couldn't maintain a connection on my phone or tablet for more than 10-15 minutes at a time.

I haven't seen too many complaints about this, so wondering if this was a one-off. Semi-frequent flyer here, so wanted to see what some of the road warriors on here have to say.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I had issues with it a couple of weeks ago (PHX/MIA I think). It was a morning flight and I had the seat empty to me so I just read a book for awhile and took a nice nap.
Old May 12, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Just got off of TUS-ORD with viasat. Sadly, no internet connection the entire flight. The AA app becomes essentially non functional without any internet connection. It seems to not be smart enough to cache information.
Old May 12, 2019, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I've had issues where it would drop sporadically, like 4 times a flight, but restore quickly and keep working.
Old May 12, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
The Panasonic WiFi on the 772 and 77W work just long enough to take my money and then I’m booted and can’t get back and stay connected. I’m 2 for 10 this year on Lax-Mia /Mia-Lax
Old May 12, 2019, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by beachfan
The Panasonic WiFi on the 772 and 77W work just long enough to take my money and then I’m booted and can’t get back and stay connected. I’m 2 for 10 this year on Lax-Mia /Mia-Lax
they've had satellite issues and yes, for a while it was useless.

I just used it on LAX-SYD last week and it worked the entire way quite well though. Pleasantly surprised and quite pleased.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Yes, it's common and happens at least half a dozen times on most flights.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:57 pm

Personal experience after slogging through with gogo for a long time, which never was fast, but at least emails updated. Viasat, when it works is very fast, but also very unstable. VPN connections, if they monitor the link, seem to not like it, as the latency is all over the place, and drops are common. I dropped my subscription for gogo (which worked for viasat) after finding it essentially unusable for work, and the majority of planes I was on were viasat equipped. I now end up syncing in the airport, and work offline on the plane.
Old May 12, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Ive had it:

1. Not work the whole fight
2. Disconnect sporadically the whole time
3. Drop once or twice.
4. Work the whole flight
5. Be fast
6. Be slow
7. Have issues connecting to the Wifi on some devices and not others
8. Work with all my devices.

Did I miss anything?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.