Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FA just unloaded the snack basket into carryon

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA just unloaded the snack basket into carryon

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
If they don't eat them, the ground staff will..............
Old May 12, 2019, 8:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Interesting discussion, albeit I think it’s all pretty speculative without the facts of the snack basket service and AA policy.

Originally Posted by ILMflyer
I rarely like to post, but this thread really bothers me. I was a flight attendant in the 80's and 90's and many of nights I dumped snacks, water, juice or soda in to my bag. Often you would arrive at a hotel near midnight and everything is closed. You just finished six or more legs on a DC9 or F100, and my personal favorite, the F28, running behind schedule all day with no time to run into the concourse to buy a meal. I spent many a nights eating my hearts content of pretzels, peanuts, cashews and granola bars. Also. flight attendants get paid twice a month and sometimes money gets tight at times. But, what it really comes down to is just mind your own business.
I can empathize. IROPS, diversions, delays, arriving at a RON hotel where the restaurant is closed... many of us have experienced that, and it’s a drag. When it’s frequent and comes with your job, ugh.

Originally Posted by BWISkyGuy

I don’t know if there are catering stations set up to recapture the sealed items out of the trash stream or not (there may be), but AA is billed for the wrapped set of items for each flight the same way regardless of what was reused. They aren’t billed on consumption for replacement of the snack basket items the way beverages are. Once upon a time pre-HP US provisioned it’s own snacks in most stations and maintained a rolling inventory onboard, but they moved to this modern when Hector Adler took over.

If the items are getting trashed or aren’t billed on consumption (or in the case of the water are contractual), and the pax are done with them, I’m fine with the FA’s eating or taking them.

If the baskets are left on board with residual, unused snacks and they get carted off and disposed of by the cleaning crew (and I can’t envision a scenario where these are carefully collected, returned to the caterer, sorted, inspected and repacked into fresh snack baskets) I’m seeing this as a pretty small issue. Especially compared to a First Officer charged with triple homicide being dragged away in handcuffs.

Last edited by JDiver; May 12, 2019 at 10:45 pm
Old May 12, 2019, 8:51 am

The cost of restocking product through a central provider ensures that all items are assumed to have been used on every flight.

A typical SKU could end up being returned, restocked and sent back out multiple times, so the airline would pay for the service multiple times.
Old May 12, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards
I agree the FAs should follow all the rules, on the flip side I am not even sure how their labor agreements are legal. (Maybe this doesn’t apply to all the Regionals and AA proper)

My favorite one being they don’t get paid until the door closes and the flight pushes back. So from the time they check in to the time the plane pushes back they aren’t getting paid.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Did you really do a 'where does it end' quote?

The slippery slope argument: One minute a flight attendant is copping a couple of bottles of water and pretty soon corporations get such huge tax breaks that they rarely pay any income taxes at all. Oops, too late, already happened.
Corporations that don’t pay much tax are maddening, but if they’re following tax law, then that’s not the same thing as a person who violates company policy by taking things. One is following rules and the other is not. Further, tax laws can change over time but I’ve never heard of a company that permits employees to walk off with large amounts of company property intended for customer use.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:53 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Without going into the morality of this person's actions, they were careless and foolish. If the OP saw them, then so could Security (I assume that AA have such a body). That could have caused them to be dismissed. Is not the 11th commandment "Thou shalt not get caught"?
nancypants likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by abrown83
I agree the FAs should follow all the rules, on the flip side I am not even sure how their labor agreements are legal. (Maybe this doesn’t apply to all the Regionals and AA proper)

My favorite one being they don’t get paid until the door closes and the flight pushes back. So from the time they check in to the time the plane pushes back they aren’t getting paid.
no different than how I dont bill a client for my travel time. If I get IRROPsed, that time is between me and my company - not my client.
Old May 12, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Antarius
no different than how I dont bill a client for my travel time. If I get IRROPsed, that time is between me and my company - not my client.
IRROPs aside, our clients have always been billed for our air travel time.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Deleted by OP
Old May 12, 2019, 5:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There are differences - if I understand correctly, the crew need to arrive at a time in advance of the flight - in any other environment that I know , the time the person has to arrive at work is the time from which they would be paid

Even if thinking that they should be required to hang about the airport on their own time, they are working the whole time on board surely - not just when the doors close

If from time doors close only - then there should never be any expectation of a member of cabin crew serving drinks before departure
nancypants likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I would assume many are working during that time and are billing another client. As well as billing another client while working on the plane during normal ops in addition to billing the original client for travel time.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by beachfan

I would assume many are working during that time and are billing another client. As well as billing another client while working on the plane during normal ops in addition to billing the original client for travel time.
sure. My point was every hour of work related activities isnt always billable or paid. How about salaried employees? Work 30 or 70 hours and your end comp is the same.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
How much does AA pay for the snack baskets anyway?

So many brands of food in it are brands that I have never heard of and they seem to change so frequently that I guess that food in the snack basket is given to AA at deeply discounted prices to promote those brands.

But theft is theft.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:50 pm

sure. My point was every hour of work related activities isnt always billable or paid. How about salaried employees? Work 30 or 70 hours and your end comp is the same.
But they aren’t salaried, are they?

If I’m wrong, then I stand corrected.

My point is comparing hourly workers who don’t get paid for every hour to highly compensated folks who can bill more than 24 hours in a 24 hour day is a little “let them eat cake”-ish.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by beachfan

But they aren’t salaried, are they?

If I’m wrong, then I stand corrected.

My point is comparing hourly workers who don’t get paid for every hour to highly compensated folks who can bill more than 24 hours in a 24 hour day is a little “let them eat cake”-ish.
Whether salaried or not - if you were not being paid, would you expect to provide drinks to people , make announcements on a PA, close overhead lockers etc? if they are only paid from the time the door is closed, then seems that they are being expected to work for free
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.