Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Notorious" DCA Gate 35X again referenced in media

"Notorious" DCA Gate 35X again referenced in media

Old May 10, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA ExePlat
Originally Posted by DCJoe1
Do you mean "pestilence"?
I stand by mt choice of petulance but also acceptance pestilence for describing 35X
Sky Dreamer likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
If you all think 35X is going to be retired I have a bridge to sell you. AA has added gate capacity in CLT. Did their walk-out gates go away? Nope. They added gates at MIA. Did their walk-out gates go away? Nope. The added gates at LAX. Is the Eagle's Nest still there? Yup.

AA will fill the 14 new gates with aircraft and then go right back to using 35X to board flights on RON pads. I'll believe 35X is going away when they rip the darn thing out.
Doesn't work that way with DCA. DCA is under strict slot control limits and you simply can't add more flights just because you got more gates. And even if you could, there won't be much physical space available for additional flights. The RON pads are basically open game spaces and then do get used for deicing for some airlines.
Old May 11, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by enviroian
i'm not familiar with this gate as I'm not a DC flyer. Is it as bad as the end section of T1 ORD concourse A with 10 gates all squeezed at the end of the culdesac?
Oh, far worse. Go downstairs to a cramped room, then only when it’s time to board, ride a bus that takes you directly to the plane. And status doesn’t really matter on these flights as everyone just piles on and off of the bus at once.
Old May 11, 2019, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by arc727

Oh, far worse. Go downstairs to a cramped room, then only when it’s time to board, ride a bus that takes you directly to the plane. And status doesn’t really matter on these flights as everyone just piles on and off of the bus at once.
Provided you can get downstairs. On arrival to DCA Thursday the area around the X-Zone was an absolute sea of people. People were standing on the escalator down to the holding pens (they turned off one of them it seems). Worst I've ever seen it.
Old May 11, 2019, 7:27 am

Just when I thought 35x couldn't get any worse ...
Old May 11, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Doesn't work that way with DCA. DCA is under strict slot control limits and you simply can't add more flights just because you got more gates. And even if you could, there won't be much physical space available for additional flights. The RON pads are basically open game spaces and then do get used for deicing for some airlines.
I get how the slot controls work at DCA but there is nothing preventing AA from gobbling up slots if other airlines pull back. DCA is one of their more profitable operations so I would imagine they would do whatever they could to grow there.
Old May 11, 2019, 7:09 pm

I’ve been through this 35X gate twice and looks like my PIT flight may have the opportunity to experience all the fun again.
Old May 11, 2019, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
I’ve been through this 35X gate twice and looks like my PIT flight may have the opportunity to experience all the fun again.
not sure whether to go with "PIT in your stomach" or "that gate is the PITs".. thoughts?

"downright PITiful" perchance?
CosmosHuman likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 7:28 pm

I get how the slot controls work at DCA but there is nothing preventing AA from gobbling up slots if other airlines pull back. DCA is one of their more profitable operations so I would imagine they would do whatever they could to grow there.
I'm sure that AA would -love- to grow there, but airlines are very, very, very, reluctant to give up a slot. They will either slot squat or try a new route. And, I'll add, that that certain slots are earmarked for LCCs, ULCCs, etc.

I can't remember the last time there was a slot allocation at DCA (either new flights on large or small jets). Its been a while.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Update: my Shuttle flight got a new/real gate and is no longer leaving from 35X! Yay!
grapkoski likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 5:02 am

Not sure why Shuttle would ever post as going out of the X-Zone. The equipment is either an E-175 or an E-190 which go out of mainline gates: and usually the B pier.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:37 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Not sure why Shuttle would ever post as going out of the X-Zone. The equipment is either an E-175 or an E-190 which go out of mainline gates: and usually the B pier.
Yes strange indeed....never seen that before but glad it sorted itself out.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
I used to think that the E gates especially 38A through seems like 38ZZ at CLT were bad then I flew into and out of 35x man what sh*t show, I avoid that airport now at all costs
Old May 12, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Their settlement with the DOJ allowing the AA-US merger to proceed prevents AA from reacquiring previously divested slots for 10 years after the agreement was executed. I can't imagine the other carriers with slots prior to the divestiture would ever sell any.

Last edited by USFlyerUS; May 12, 2019 at 7:58 am
Old May 12, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
AA will fill the 14 new gates with aircraft and then go right back to using 35X to board flights on RON pads. I'll believe 35X is going away when they rip the darn thing out.
Besides the slot restrictions, I doubt there will be any pads remaining on the north end of the airport after the new concourse is built. Indeed, staging the construction of this thing while keeping operations going is pretty tough.

Unless you were suggesting that they'd be running shuttles from 35X all the way down to the Historic Terminal -- though that would be silly, since that building's already configured with walk-out gates.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.