Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LGA-CLT 6:55am flight: reliable?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you have a critical meeting or other event, you should never count on any one plan to get you there. Even a flight / train which has operated on schedule 100% of the time for the past year could suffer a maintenance delay, a transient thunderstorm could hover over the field, or a passenger could have a heart attack. Thus, whether you depart at 05:00 from EWR or 06:55 from LGA is not significantly different.

I would strongly advise against the 02:00 train service. That is beyond miserable, subject to lengthy delays (because freight trains take precedence).

Sorry to say this, but only you can judge the impact of missing your meeting and if it is critical, there is no better option than to fly in the day before.
ibrandsguest likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by Often1
If you have a critical meeting or other event, you should never count on any one plan to get you there. Even a flight / train which has operated on schedule 100% of the time for the past year could suffer a maintenance delay, a transient thunderstorm could hover over the field, or a passenger could have a heart attack. Thus, whether you depart at 05:00 from EWR or 06:55 from LGA is not significantly different.

I would strongly advise against the 02:00 train service. That is beyond miserable, subject to lengthy delays (because freight trains take precedence).

Sorry to say this, but only you can judge the impact of missing your meeting and if it is critical, there is no better option than to fly in the day before.
Yes there is. Fly in 2 days before.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
maybe Amtrak, assuming that its 2am arrival into CLT will be significantly delayed. Better safe than sorry.
Originally Posted by deeruck
I think we can all agree that NYP - CLT on Amtrak is never the solution.
12 hours on the Crescent, even without the inevitable delays due to freight priority? Madness. You'll be just as likely to be sitting outside of Lynchburg yielding way to coal trains as to make your meeting.

Can we start a Gofundme to get this poor guy a hotel room in CLT for the night before his meeting? Sheesh.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by arlflyer
12 hours on the Crescent, even without the inevitable delays due to freight priority? Madness. You'll be just as likely to be sitting outside of Lynchburg yielding way to coal trains as to make your meeting.

Can we start a Gofundme to get this poor guy a hotel room in CLT for the night before his meeting? Sheesh.
Assuming the OP can fly the night before (if not that 5am out of EWR would be the way to go) the best reason to do so besides not having to worry if they will make the meeting due to a delay is simple; with that 5am flight either you wont sleep the night before or will get a couple of hours shut eye = not being on top of your game during the meeting. If that meeting is so important then Id imagine being 100% will be as well, and getting a full nights sleep and being alert and well rested would be important as well
Old May 9, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I have a critical meeting in uptown Charlotte at 10am in a few weeks. Oddly, the first flight of the day from LGA leaves at 6:55am and arrives at 8:50am. I figured it would have left closer to 6am.

Is the first LGA-CLT flight of the day reliable? A delay of half an hour would likely be OK, but I absolutely positively must be uptown by 10am, so If this flight isn’t reliable, I’d better try another one.

Thanks!
As long as I am not on that flight, you should be good.

But seriously, go the night before. Period. No matter what you choose, you can get screwed. CLT could have AM weather and ALL carriers are hosed. Flying the night before gives options- even fly to ATL and drive to CLT overnight.(ive done it)

Plus, you will be well rested, breakfasted and a=caffeinated if you go the night before. Honestly, what WILL you do the night before if you stay in NYC?
Old May 9, 2019, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Thanks, everybody. I'm going the night before. 5am from EWR was looking pretty painful, as was talking Delta or taking a 6:25-ish flight from JFK.

Odd that the first flight of the day from LGA-CLT--which must be a pretty important business route--is so late.

Thanks again.
GTITAN likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Thanks, everybody. I'm going the night before. 5am from EWR was looking pretty painful, as was talking Delta or taking a 6:25-ish flight from JFK.

Odd that the first flight of the day from LGA-CLT--which must be a pretty important business route--is so late.

Thanks again.
But that's also probably a big connecting flight to CLT and since AA banks flights......
Old May 9, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
To be safe, maybe fly the week before.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: Global Mercenary
Was this question asked as a joke? Same poster on Delta board with the same obvious responses.
Old May 9, 2019, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by vj_rama
Was this question asked as a joke? Same poster on Delta board with the same obvious responses.
Who has time to post joke posts on the internet? I don't. And why would anyone waste others' time by doing so?

I saw that there was a Delta flight that was earlier. I take the first flight out from LGA every now and then on a weekend and don't have a problem, so I wanted to poll around.
GTITAN likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Who has time to post joke posts on the internet? I don't. And why would anyone waste others' time by doing so?

I saw that there was a Delta flight that was earlier. I take the first flight out from LGA every now and then on a weekend and don't have a problem, so I wanted to poll around.
If you're staying in Uptown the night before and schedule and desire permit, highly recommend (if you like Mexican food), Vida Mexican Kitchen y Cantina. It is quite good.

Safe Travels
ibrandsguest likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer

Actually, the average delay for the Crescent since the beginning of the year has been about 30 minutes, with the latest arrival at 7 am.

https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archive/html/historychart.php?train_num=19&station=CLT&date_sta rt=01%2F01%2F2019&date_end=5%2F10%2F2019&sort=d_ar &chartsize=2&smooth=0
ibrandsguest likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
To be safe, maybe fly the week before.
That's sound advice, but maybe 2 weeks, just to be safe. Especially if it's a vital meeting.
DeepUnderground likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by DCAKen
Actually, the average delay for the Crescent since the beginning of the year has been about 30 minutes, with the latest arrival at 7 am.

https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archive/html/historychart.php?train_num=19&station=CLT&date_sta rt=01%2F01%2F2019&date_end=5%2F10%2F2019&sort=d_ar &chartsize=2&smooth=0
Oh, pardon me dear sir, the trip can be a mere 12 hours and 30 minutes to 17 hours. How grievously wrong I was. I do stand corrected, carry on.
Old May 11, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Outside of the NEC and the SAN-LAX corridor, I would never leave it to Amtrak for transport for an important meeting.

As others mentioned, go the night before. I do important business meetings in CLT couple times a year. We always fly the previous night. A 5:05 am flight to CLT -sucks-. No sleep, fatigue that day, often no Pre-check at airports, and lousy experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.