Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Why don't displaced passengers call AA rather than stand in a long line

Why don't displaced passengers call AA rather than stand in a long line

Old May 9, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Had an issue a few weeks ago with hail in DFW followed by thundersnow in ORD the next day. Our SAN-ORD cancelled, and there were no seats for sale out of anywhere in SoCal for the next three days because of all the systemwide ripples. AAngel called RM and spent 15 minutes going to bat for us to oversell two more seats onto a flight the following day -- no chance an OSO agent would've done that for us. Couldn't find any flight alternatives in the app, and the system didn't even automatically rebook us because it couldn't find a way home either.
Old May 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
What I've never understood is how proactive DL is compared to AA. At their hubs, DL has areas with banks of phones that people can use to call reservations agents who are actually empowered to help, whereas AA is hit or miss as said above. Maybe it's no linger necessary to have banks of phones, since most people have a cell phone, but it would be nice if the phone agents were empowered to make reasonable decisions.
Old May 9, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Standing in line enable us to share in our common displeasure or grief about IRROPS.

In some of DFW's less memorable moments, calls to EP and CK lines had hours-long holds while the DFW AAngels saw a brisk business which seemed to move, albeit at a crawl.
Old May 10, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by econometrics
Welcome to FT.
Hey everyones gotta start somewhere.
Old May 10, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Only if your flight cancels. Delays aren’t enough to trigger the relaxed rules. At least IME.

And often at that point options can be limited as the system auto rebooks customers drying out inventory on other fights.

With UA I can start proactively making calculated changes 24 hours out.
You're probably right on delays then, as I don't think I've seen a delay initiate the in-app IRROPs flow, though cancelations do and offer very interesting choices (I particularly like being able to confirm into F on a new flight when I was originally given the EXP upgrade).
Old May 10, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Score8
I've been told specifically that in-airport agents have way more leeway than a typical phone agent. I'm guessing that maybe a CK agent has similar rule-breaking ability.
This has been my experience as well. I even remember chatting with an LGA agent on a rather slow day, and mentioned that I was sadly going to be short of Platinum by just a couple thousand miles that year. The agent nearby actually got excited and said (to roughly paraphrase), "we could get you closer if you'd like. Maybe put you through Boston... Or even BOS-CLT-PHL or MIA if you have the time." She went back over to her terminal to check.

I know this was a golden mileage run opportunity, but I had to get back home quickly so I declined with gratitude. Maybe it's because it was kind of quiet that day, or just that we had some good rapport. Of course, I know the rules are that original routing is required and this wasn't IRROPS, so I'm not feeling emboldened or entitled by this experience, but it was interesting that the agents had any latitude at all to even offer.
Old May 10, 2019, 3:07 pm

First thing everyone should do is check their reservation. In many if not most cases you will be automatically rebooked and can go straight to the next gate.
SJOGuy likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by enviroian
DFW was a mess today due to storms. My flight was 3 hours late to Chicago. The plane was at the gate the whole time but the cabin crew and FO/Pilot were sourced from another flight. Anyway, there was a line of people from C33 to C26 waiting to talk to the agents at the customer service desk. Can't all these re-bookings be handled over the phone? Honestly the line was 500 people....
Same thing with "why do people stand in long lines at restaurants at lunchtime when they could have ordered through the restaurant's app or website".

Seems wasteful to me as well, but some people are just low-tech. Plus the AA phone agents get things wrong a lot, too.
Old May 10, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by AggieNzona
First thing everyone should do is check their reservation. In many if not most cases you will be automatically rebooked and can go straight to the next gate.
But given that recom cycles make generally primitive choices, the affected pax could end up confirmed on a flight two days later instead of a different routing or on another carrier arrived close to the original arrival time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.