Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Why don't displaced passengers call AA rather than stand in a long line

Old May 8, 2019, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

DFW was a mess today due to storms. My flight was 3 hours late to Chicago. The plane was at the gate the whole time but the cabin crew and FO/Pilot were sourced from another flight. Anyway, there was a line of people from C33 to C26 waiting to talk to the agents at the customer service desk. Can't all these re-bookings be handled over the phone? Honestly the line was 500 people....
The Pompous Man and asnovici like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
1. Wait times can suck for non elites
2. Many people don't know that they should
3. Some people like to complain to a person
Old May 8, 2019, 9:42 pm

The wait for Exec Plat when Chicago had April snow storm was over 4 hours Exec Plat.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:45 pm

I stand in line and call simultaneously
Old May 8, 2019, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by davie355
FWIW there was an agent walking down the line of people handing cards with a phone number to call.
rickg523 likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:56 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Phone agents are horrendous. I was in the air on a delayed flight to DFW and was going to misconnect. I had my wife call in and request I get rerouted from DFW-AAA to DFW-BBB, about an hour's drive away as it was the only flight with seats nearby tonight. Agent 1: "The flight to BBB is also delayed. I cannot put someone on a delayed flight". Agent 2: "That's not how airlines work" and that I basically have to get to DFW and see what options there are to get to AAA on the first available flight. Or pay the change fees to get to BBB.

I get to DFW and the Admirals Club agent didn't hesitate to put me on a flight to any nearby city that I wanted.
linglingfool and GWFan like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I stand in line, call, and DM on Twitter simultaneously
GWFan and wrp96 like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I call and then start to deal with my other options. Since now you get that "callback" option you have a reasonable idea how long it will be to get a phone agent. And now that a headset is standard equipment for traveling it's a little easier too. However, it is true that sometimes the phone agents are frozen in the sense that they won't offer outside-the-box solutions to IRROPS, whereas airport agents will usually agree to any reasonable suggestion to get you where you're going if there are available seats.
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
FWIW there was an agent walking down the line of people handing cards with a phone number to call.
Yep, but frequent AA travlers keep the number in their phonebook
GTITAN and wrp96 like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by redtop43
I call and then start to deal with my other options. Since now you get that "callback" option you have a reasonable idea how long it will be to get a phone agent. And now that a headset is standard equipment for traveling it's a little easier too. However, it is true that sometimes the phone agents are frozen in the sense that they won't offer outside-the-box solutions to IRROPS, whereas airport agents will usually agree to any reasonable suggestion to get you where you're going if there are available seats.
This is true. I have had GA and club agents protect me on 3 different flights with different routings before. many phone agents are like ... and it takes a lot of time to explain it.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:07 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
This
Old May 8, 2019, 11:07 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
AA really needs to reliably get better in app and on kiosk self service options. They should just let the agents help people that don't have minor issues. I've only been offered self service recommendation on a few of my IRROPS/OSO flights.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold
From my experience, app rebooking is only dependable when you have a nonstop flight that has been cancelled... Very bad with delays/misconnects/etc...

Also bad when youre connecting from somewhere and the last leg of your trip gets cancelled.

For example, I was on AA65 DFW-BOS last week which was canceled on the tarmac. I immediately was able to rebook on the first flight the next day... My seat mate was on a GDL-DFW-BOS routing and the app didnt offer him options despite the fact that he was in DFW and his final destination was BOS.
Antarius and enpremiere like this.
Old May 9, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by mvoight
Yep, but frequent AA travlers keep the number in their phonebook
Originally Posted by enviroian
The number for the Barclays apply-by-phone call center?
Antarius, GTITAN, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old May 9, 2019, 5:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Why do people stand in line for a paper boarding pass? Why do people seated in Group 9 rush the boarding gate when CK is called? Why do people stand in the aisle looking for god knows what while 200+ paxs are waiting to board. Why do people bring a crying baby on a redeye flight (seated in F/J no less)? Answer. If you want to know how stupid human beings can be just go to any airport and take a good look around.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.