Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Multi-pax PNR, need to change only one pax

Multi-pax PNR, need to change only one pax

Old May 8, 19, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, CO
Question Multi-pax PNR, need to change only one pax

I've searched for this in the forums, but all I got was to learn the "multi-pax PNR" label.

My wife booked domestic (US) tickets for her and two kids (ages 10 and 7) on Orbitz. The itinerary came out with outbound on AA and return on Delta. Now the 10-year-old has an unanticipated summer school event that she wouldn't like to miss and would require her to depart 3 days later. Ideally (option #1 ), we would like for mom and the 7-year-old to depart on AA according to the original schedule, then have the 10-year-old fly solo three days later, and then all three come back on Delta as originally scheduled.

My wife's idea (option #2) ws that 2 out of the 3 pax could fly as originally scheduled on AA. Then have the 10-year-old fly solo on a one-way ticket on a low-price carrier like Spirit or Jet Blue. And finally all three return as originally scheduled on Delta.

Should I call Orbitz or American to make changes as per option #1 ? Or could we go with option #2 ? Would the PNR be invalidated if only 2 out of 3 pax show up for the outbound flight on AA?

Thank you in advance!!

Last edited by Rufo4506; May 8, 19 at 4:54 pm Reason: Clarified what options 1 and 2 are
Old May 8, 19, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA GLD, IHG PLT
Since this is a one way american ticket, you don't have to worry about the return leg for your child joining them mid trip. There shouldn't be any issue with calling to split the 10 year onto a separate itinerary and paying the unaccompanied minor fee plus change fee and fare difference if you want to go with option #1

Option #2 could be cheaper overall though once you take into account the change fee and fare difference. But you will still probably expect an unaccompanied minor fee on Jetblue or Spirit. You shouldn't run into problems with the other two passengers if one no shows. As a courtesy you could call and have your 10 yr olds ticket on AA cancelled, and get a refund for any remaining balance past the change fee but it wouldn't be an issue if it was a no call no show since there is no return ticket to cancel on AA.
Old May 8, 19, 5:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Starwood (Plat) and every other US program
Originally Posted by MathMusic View Post
Since this is a one way american ticket, you don't have to worry about the return leg for your child joining them mid trip. .
What makes you think that this is a one-way ticket? It sounds like a round-trip ticket on 2 different airlines. If you miss segment one, won't segment two cancel?
Old May 8, 19, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Thank you MM!
Old May 8, 19, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by sbrower View Post
What makes you think that this is a one-way ticket? It sounds like a round-trip ticket on 2 different airlines. If you miss segment one, won't segment two cancel?
Each airline has its own PNR. Orbitz bought a one-way from AA, and another one-way from Delta.
Old May 8, 19, 5:21 pm

Ah, good catch. With the mix of carriers I didn't notice the reference to Orbitz. It could be a multi airline PNR, of which I don't have much experience.
Old May 8, 19, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Orbitz gave us one PNR for AA and one PNR for Delta.

Last edited by Rufo4506; May 9, 19 at 1:51 am Reason: Fixed misspelling
Old May 8, 19, 5:41 pm

Rufo, then it sounds like the advice I gave you should be good then. Both options you gave should work, it will probably come down to costs.
IAHtraveler likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: