Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Of course the oven smells like food (3 hour+ delay from oven smell)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2019, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman, AA Plat Pro, HHonors Diamond, National Exec

this is an odd one. AA1048 dca-mia delayed 3+ hours. Apparently the crew noted in the log book a strong food odor smell in the oven in F. Not electrical, not burning. After 2 hours they deplaned us waiting to get the log book back. Still at the gate waiting.....
Old May 8, 2019, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by glueguy
this is an odd one. AA1048 dca-mia delayed 3+ hours. Apparently the crew noted in the log book a strong food odor smell in the oven in F. Not electrical, not burning. After 2 hours they deplaned us waiting to get the log book back. Still at the gate waiting.....
someone slip some durian in there?
Old May 8, 2019, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

I don’t know but 3.5 hours later and maintenance still hasn’t released the plane. Crazy.
Old May 8, 2019, 2:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by glueguy
I don’t know but 3.5 hours later and maintenance still hasn’t released the plane. Crazy.
Not crazy at all, and reported here with some frequency.

Whilst Doug Parker courted Pilots and Flight Attendants to fall behind the merger, others were ignored. Mechanics in fact lost positions from outsourcing (e.g. all 777- heavy maintenance is performed by HAECO HKG) and closure of the Alliance maintenance base, and they currently have no contract. They haven’t called a strike, but they can cause pain by such tactics as walking the log - the aircraft can’t fly without the log, and the log can easily be “misplaced”, shopped around for verification and signing off, and in general take a long time being “found” and being restored to the cockpit.

We won’t debate the management-labor issue here - this isn’t the place for that or debating the cause of unions etc. - but we can certainly acknowledge the effect this conflict is wreaking on passengers and AA operations.

Good luck.
Old May 8, 2019, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by JDiver

Whilst Doug Parker courted Pilots and Flight Attendants to fall behind the merger, others were ignored. Mechanics in fact lost positions from outsourcing (e.g. all 777- heavy maintenance is performed by HAECO HKG) and closure of the Alliance maintenance base, and they currently have no contract. They haven’t called a strike, but they can cause pain by such tactics as walking the log - the aircraft can’t fly without the log, and the log can easily be “misplaced”, shopped around for verification and signing off, and in general take a long time being “found” and being restored to the cockpit.

We won’t debate the management-labor issue here - this isn’t the place for that or debating the cause of unions etc. - but we can certainly acknowledge the effect this conflict is wreaking on passengers and AA operations.

Good luck.
Why AA hasn't join the 21st century in which the log would be on an app on a tablet that could be sent to the Captain electronically for final approval is beyond me. This is nothing new, waiting for maintenance show back up for a 15 minute fix with the maintenance log.
Old May 8, 2019, 2:59 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT

Good luck.
Crew to me at least means FA, pilot and FO. Who reported the smell- crew or a mechanic?
Old May 8, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Crew to me at least means FA, pilot and FO. Who reported the smell- crew or a mechanic?
Andrew Zimmern.
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Why AA hasn't join the 21st century in which the log would be on an app on a tablet that could be sent to the Captain electronically for final approval is beyond me. This is nothing new, waiting for maintenance show back up for a 15 minute fix with the maintenance log.
It’s up to the FAA, not AA.

I think that isn’t germane once it was reported and handed over to mechanics, and the OP is apparently awaiting log return. The OP has to worry about crew timing out.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

I guess when it happened to me and I was in the middle of it, the labor issue didn't dawn on me, but makes perfect sense. In the air now, 4.25 hours late. I'll be missing one of my son's college graduation dinner events. Oh well.

Reported by an FA is my guess but it was definitely the cabin crew. The pilot was pretty exasperated on the PA while we were waiting before they gave up and deplaned us. I thought about the crew timing too but this is their first leg so that wasn't an issue, luckily.
Old May 9, 2019, 12:53 pm

I think that isn’t germane once it was reported and handed over to mechanics, and the OP is apparently awaiting log return. The OP has to worry about crew timing out.
It is indeed germane if we are blaming mechanics for an intentional delay!!
Old May 9, 2019, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I believe that FAA rules require that the log book be physically updated and signed off. While the time for a physical log book may be long past, it's common practice worldwide, so not even confined to AA or the US.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 4:07 pm

It is indeed germane if we are blaming mechanics for an intentional delay!!
Two exclamation points don’t mean it’s germane to know who reported the fault , and given it was about oven odors it was likely an FA. Ultimately, mechanics were called in, they appear to have slow-walked repairs and “walked the log”.

We don’t actually know much about this; it’s informed speculation, and given the times I’ve observed it quite possible.
Old May 9, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I’ve had some recent lengthy delays due to “log book” issues. It reflects poorly on AA, regardless who is responsible.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:58 am

Two exclamation points don’t mean it’s germane to know who reported the fault , and given it was about oven odors it was likely an FA. Ultimately, mechanics were called in, they appear to have slow-walked repairs and “walked the log”.

We don’t actually know much about this; it’s informed speculation, and given the times I’ve observed it quite possible.
That was my point!!! Bringing up mechanic unhappiness was likely NOT germane since the FA initiated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.