Search

Flight is diverted - Seeking Advice

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airline
Question Flight is diverted - Seeking Advice

Dear FTers,

Would appreciate your advice on the following situation. Thanks for your help!

I was supposed to travel on a non-stop flight from LGA to ROA. The trip was scheduled to arrive at 1:20 pm. Due to flight cancellation, I was rebooked to connect at CLT. The flight was delayed and finally departed at 5:20 pm. The pilot attempted to land at ROA three-times, however, unsuccessful. The plane was eventually diverted to LYH and landed at 7:20 pm ET. The pilot told us that the radio system was broken and technically the plane lost communication. There was no communication on how we were supposed to get to our final destination. LYH airport also was closed at that time and there was no bus arrangement provided by AA. Most passengers were forced to rent a car to get to their final destination. I contacted American that night to get a reimbursement of the rental car, the agent told me instead that I should submit a request for a refund for the trip. Relied on that message, I submitted a request the following week. American denied the request and cited the reason for the diversion as weather-related. It's my bad for booking this trip on Amex Platinum vs. Chase Reserve. What would you recommend I respond to AA? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 5, 2019, 10:41 am

Who forced passengers to rent a car? What did the passengers who weren’t forced do?
BearX220 likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by jliehr
Who forced passengers to rent a car? What did the passengers who weren’t forced do?
You thinking they should have walked?
Old May 5, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by bzhao12
Dear FTers,

Would appreciate your advice on the following situation. Thanks for your help!

I was supposed to travel on a non-stop flight from LGA to ROA. The trip was scheduled to arrive at 1:20 pm. Due to flight cancellation, I was rebooked to connect at CLT. The flight was delayed and finally departed at 5:20 pm. The pilot attempted to land at ROA three-times, however, unsuccessful. The plane was eventually diverted to LYH and landed at 7:20 pm ET. The pilot told us that the radio system was broken and technically the plane lost communication. There was no communication on how we were supposed to get to our final destination. LYH airport also was closed at that time and there was no bus arrangement provided by AA. Most passengers were forced to rent a car to get to their final destination. I contacted American that night to get a reimbursement of the rental car, the agent told me instead that I should submit a request for a refund for the trip. Relied on that message, I submitted a request the following week. American denied the request and cited the reason for the diversion as weather-related. It's my bad for booking this trip on Amex Platinum vs. Chase Reserve. What would you recommend I respond to AA? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Was there bad weather? What was the reason for the delay out of CLT?
Old May 5, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Just what exactly do you propose the passengers do as there was no scheduled bus to take them?

Old May 5, 2019, 11:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
What arrangements did AA make for other passengers?
wrp96, ChrL and nancypants like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
If LYH was closed than who met the flight. If it was a contract worker than likely they had no info as far as alternative transportation. Was there anyone around that represented AA? Surely the crew got some kind of instructions.
ChrL and nancypants like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect some passengers chose to rent a car.
Too often on FT the word force is used when the word chose should be used.

Force
make (someone) do something against their will.
"she was forced into early retirement"
synonyms: compel, coerce, make, constrain, oblige, impel, drive, necessitate, pressurize, pressure, press, push; More
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic.../english/force
BearX220 and nancypants like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
I suspect some passengers chose to rent a car.
Too often on FT the word force is used when the word chose should be used.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic.../english/force
Your link gave an example:
"she was forced into early retirement"

How is that forced? Same way here as forced. Did she have a gun pointed to her head?
Old May 5, 2019, 1:37 pm

I'd say they were forced to rent a car, in order to get to the destination they paid AA get them to.
Spiff, enviroian and embarcadero1 like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
It's a one-hour drive. Doesn't make any sense to wait around very long for the airline to figure something out.
Old May 5, 2019, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
AA's responsibility when a flight is diverted -- regardless of the reason for the diversion -- is set forth in the conditions of carriage:

"Delays caused by us
If the delay is our fault or you're diverted to another city, and we don't board before 11:59 p.m. local time on your scheduled arrival day, we'll arrange an overnight stay or cover the cost of an approved hotel, if available." (Emphasis added.)

Presumably, AA would be responsible for getting the diverted passengers from LYH to ROA the next day -- by bus or otherwise.

I'd suggest that the OP attempt to recoup the cost of car rental by pointing out to AA that had the OP not rented a car, AA would have been on the hook for overnight lodging at LYH, per AA's own conditions of carriage.
LarryJ, enviroian, ChrL and 4 others like this.

Last edited by guv1976; May 5, 2019 at 2:50 pm
Old May 5, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I'd submit a refund request for this leg with Amex. Clearly you didn't get what you paid for, and AA denying the refund request is ridiculous.
Pittie Pup likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by guv1976
AA's responsibility when a flight is diverted -- regardless of the reason for the diversion -- is set forth in the conditions of carriage:

"Delays caused by us
If the delay is our fault or you're diverted to another city, and we don't board before 11:59 p.m. local time on your scheduled arrival day, we'll arrange an overnight stay or cover the cost of an approved hotel, if available." (Emphasis added.) (my emphasis further added).
IANAL but it would appear the board before 2359 condition was met here? Which means they’re off the hook?? Or is that applying to any replacement flight in case of diversion?
Old May 5, 2019, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by nancypants

IANAL but it would appear the board before 2359 condition was met here? Which means they’re off the hook?? Or is that applying to any replacement flight in case of diversion?
I have to assume that the alternate transport to the ticketed destination must depart from the diversion airport before 2359; otherwise, the provision would be (nearly) meaningless.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.