Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best way to earn award miles efficiently and quickly?

Best way to earn award miles efficiently and quickly?

Old Jan 30, 19, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Anyway to get 500 miles posted into my account today?

Iím a little less than 500 miles short of the amount needed for an AA award booking trip that I was hoping to take on Friday. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get those miles besides buying them? Itís about $100 to buy the minimum number of miles

Last edited by JDiver; May 29, 19 at 2:31 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Jan 30, 19, 3:07 pm

Programs: All of them, Katie
If you happen to have an AA credit card that offers the 10% mile rebate, you may not need to buy the miles. The 10% rebate posts immediately, so you could split up your booking into two separate bookings, get the rebate on the first, and then book the rest. If your booking is for 2+ people, book for one first, get the rebate, then book for the others. If your ticket is return, book it as two one-ways so the rebate posts for the first one-way before booking the second.
Old Jan 30, 19, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Buying the miles is the only sure fire way to get them given your time constraints, unfortunately.
Old Jan 30, 19, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aristophanes80 View Post
If you happen to have an AA credit card that offers the 10% mile rebate, you may not need to buy the miles. The 10% rebate posts immediately, so you could split up your booking into two separate bookings, get the rebate on the first, and then book the rest. If your booking is for 2+ people, book for one first, get the rebate, then book for the others. If your ticket is return, book it as two one-ways so the rebate posts for the first one-way before booking the second.
I do have the AA card... if I have just enough with the 10 percent discount will that suffice? For example, if the trip is 12,500 miles but with the discount of 1,250 miles itís really 11,250 miles and I have a little over 11.250, can I book now or do I need the 12,500 in my account now then I receive the discount?
Old Jan 30, 19, 6:38 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by stetsonm View Post
I do have the AA card... if I have just enough with the 10 percent discount will that suffice? For example, if the trip is 12,500 miles but with the discount of 1,250 miles itís really 11,250 miles and I have a little over 11.250, can I book now or do I need the 12,500 in my account now then I receive the discount?
The quickest way to get that answer is to try it.
Old Jan 30, 19, 8:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; IHG Gold

I am pretty sure you have to have the full 12,500.
Old Jan 30, 19, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum View Post
I am pretty sure you have to have the full 12,500.
I spoke with an agent on the phone and this is accurate. You need to have the full amount of miles then once booked the rebate will apply.
Old Jan 31, 19, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium/LTP (+UA Silver), National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
Iím a little less than 500 miles short of the amount needed for an AA award booking trip that I was hoping to take on Friday. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get those miles besides buying them? Itís about $100 to buy the minimum number of miles

This is where Mileage Multiplier would be useful -- buy a cheap refundable ticket, buy Mileage Multiplier miles along with it (they post nearly instantly and aren't refunded when you cancel your ticket), then cancel the refundable ticket. You pay 3 to 4 cents per mile but avoid the $30+ transaction fees associated with buying miles the normal way.
Old May 3, 19, 11:48 am

Programs: Avios
Best way to earn 16k miles efficiently and quickly??

I need 16k miles for 2 first class tickets on JAL for next year Sakura season using AA miles.Business is not available for the dates I need.If I buy the miles directly from AA it will cost around $450.Is there a better way??I will need the miles to credit by the end of this month.Rocketmiles has a promotion that will get me 8k miles for $170 if I book a hotel nearby me.Any assistance will be appreciated.
Old May 3, 19, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Gold Elite, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, National EE, Vaccinated lol
$450 might be your only option for 'quickly' not bad for a first class ticket.
bscooter26 likes this.
Old May 3, 19, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Amil View Post
$450 might be your only option for 'quickly' not bad for a first class ticket.
Thanks anyways,I will buy the miles if necessary,I was just wondering if there was better way.Rocketmiles saves me a bit and the miles credit within 2 weeks so I actually only need 8k more.
Old May 3, 19, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tilto007 View Post
Thanks anyways,I will buy the miles if necessary,I was just wondering if there was better way.Rocketmiles saves me a bit and the miles credit within 2 weeks so I actually only need 8k more.
I would be a little concerned that those 2 F seats might be gone in a couple of weeks if you're trying to save a few bucks vs. the $450 which would be deposited much faster.
Old May 3, 19, 1:48 pm

Programs: CK or bust
The inventory for those seats could disappear even in the next few minutes so I would put them on hold and go with a straight-out AA.com miles purchase if you want them.
Old May 3, 19, 1:59 pm

Thanks,I actually cannot book these on AA.com yet.I should be able to book them in around 2 weeks or so for the days that I want as they still have not loaded on AA's availability.I have found that the first class seats don't disappear right away.The business seats vanish right away.

.I
Originally Posted by enpremiere View Post
The inventory for those seats could disappear even in the next few minutes so I would put them on hold and go with a straight-out AA.com miles purchase if you want them.
Old May 3, 19, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Thanks,I actually cannot book these on AA.com yet.I should be able to book them in around 2 weeks or so for the days that I want as they still have not loaded on AA's availability.I have found that the first class seats don't disappear right away.The business seats vanish right away.

.I
How do you know the F award space exists then?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: