Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flight change with no notice - new arrival date

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire

Have some bookings from June that were originally DPS-HKG-LAX-BDL but I logged in to check some things and noticed that the routing has changed (without any email notice) to DPS-HKG-DFW-BDL which is fine as it has the same start and stop, other than now instead of arriving on June 18 at 540am (and not requiring a hotel in BDL) now it arrives at 11:30pm on June 17. Any chance AA would pick up the hotel on this or am I wasting my time? <br /><br />Also-is it normal for a change like this not to trigger an email? I wouldn't have even noticed if I hadn't logged in to look at something else.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
I'd doubt AA will put you up in a hotel, however it seems one of your flights times changed which caused the reroute. Reroutes are done automatically by the computer and often aren't the best options. I'd look at a new route that better fits your schedule, call AA and ask for your new preferred routing.

As for them not emailing you about the schedule change, it usually takes the IT system some time between when the schedule changed to when it alerts you to the change. Similar to the delay of the email you get telling you its time to check in.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by freeagent
I'd doubt AA will put you up in a hotel, however it seems one of your flights times changed which caused the reroute. Reroutes are done automatically by the computer and often aren't the best options. I'd look at a new route that better fits your schedule, call AA and ask for your new preferred routing.

As for them not emailing you about the schedule change, it usually takes the IT system some time between when the schedule changed to when it alerts you to the change. Similar to the delay of the email you get telling you its time to check in.
Not many people , I suggest, would class a reroute that arrives 6 hours earlier than the original routing as being a bad option

Rather than spend the night on an aeroplane, the person has opportunity to sleep in a bed - I cannot see AA picking up the cost of a hotel because of an earlier arrival
Old May 2, 2019, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Interesting thing is, I think I know exactly which flight it is that changed. LAX-BDL was a 930pm to 0500am or so flight that changed to 11:30pm to 7 something.
I know this, because my booking for July shows this change of times, but that one wasn't re-routed.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Not many people , I suggest, would class a reroute that arrives 6 hours earlier than the original routing as being a bad option
Rather than spend the night on an aeroplane, the person has opportunity to sleep in a bed - I cannot see AA picking up the cost of a hotel because of an earlier arrival
Most people would see that as I win, maybe, but not me. I see it as a loss of 5 hours of activities planned in HKG and an additional hotel and rental car cost.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Most people would see that as I win, maybe, but not me. I see it as a loss of 5 hours of activities planned in HKG and an additional hotel and rental car cost.
That’s unimportant to AA. If you can identify better flights for you it’s quite likely you can get reaccommodated.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
That’s unimportant to AA. If you can identify better flights for you it’s quite likely you can get reaccommodated.
Thats the plan. To change them back to the ones I booked now that I think I know why they changed it.

Now if if they’d only do this DFW reroute for my July flight where I’m in F HKG-LAX haha
Old May 3, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: DL,EK
I would think in general that changing the day of arrival to an earlier date could be a major problem for people who require visas that may not be valid until the original scheduled day of arrival. While it doesn't affect this flight, in general with international connections this raises flags (or should).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The auto rebooking function is imperfect. But, it does assure that you have space. As you have seen, the average customer would see your reroute as a net positive, but the AA algorithm has no way of knowing of your personal preferences.

Thus, the thing to do is to research what you want (including the original routing, if available), call AA and ask for the specific reroute you want. If you have flight numbers available, this will all go a lot quicker.

AA will not pick up the hotel cost. Always possible that your travel insurance does, but you would have to read the policy terms to determine that.
DeepUnderground likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Always possible that your travel insurance does, but you would have to read the policy terms to determine that.
Highly doubt that as well. Wonder the opposite of Trip Delay coverage would be called?! Suppose it doesn't hurt to try and submit the claim.

If anyone was wondering the outcome, just booked an airport hotel for the night and will pick up the rental car in the morning. Didn't feel it was worth the hour on the phone to sort the bookings back out (somewhat complicated split PNR).

Also to note, it is around 24 hours now after I became aware of this change by logging into my account and have still not received any e-mail about the changes.
Old May 3, 2019, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Stop complaining about not receiving notice. You did receive notice because you logged in and can see the change.

Just do the research and reach out to AA for the change you want. Focus on that.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Stop complaining about not receiving notice. You did receive notice because you logged in and can see the change.
Just do the research and reach out to AA for the change you want. Focus on that.
Research for what change? The resolution of that part of my problem is LITERALLY the post before yours.

As for my secondary concern. I am not sure why you feel the need to belittle me for assuming that an airline would proactively contact a paying customer to inform them that their routing changed to the point that they do not even arrive on the same date as booked. I would feel bad for someone who is not a frequent flyer and just assumed that their flight will be landing on the day they scheduled it to land. I was mostly just curious if others had experienced similar issues - it would then alert others to be vigilant about unannounced changes to their itineraries. I suppose I will go back to limited posting, as I don't like being attacked as a "noob."

Out, DU
Old May 3, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Research for what change? The resolution of that part of my problem is LITERALLY the post before yours.

As for my secondary concern. I am not sure why you feel the need to belittle me for assuming that an airline would proactively contact a paying customer to inform them that their routing changed to the point that they do not even arrive on the same date as booked. I would feel bad for someone who is not a frequent flyer and just assumed that their flight will be landing on the day they scheduled it to land. I was mostly just curious if others had experienced similar issues - it would then alert others to be vigilant about unannounced changes to their itineraries. I suppose I will go back to limited posting, as I don't like being attacked as a "noob."

Out, DU
There's really no difference between a 0540 June 18 arrival changing to 2330 June 17 arrival, and any other 6 hour delay. Just so happens that your change puts it on a different side of midnight but it's still 6 hours. As such, pointing out that your flight doesn't "even arrive on the same date as booked" is, while factual, histrionic. And given that you don't know when the flight changed, you also don't know if AA would have proactively contacted you had you not contacted them. So to complain about it is kind of pointless.

I think that's why you are getting some push back on this. I think most frequent flyers, and I would venture a guess many here on Flyertalk, would look it this as a golden opportunity to get a preferred routing, etc, that for whatever reason they couldn't or didn't get when booking. As such, very few here, if any, would consider what you are experiencing as a negative and complain about it. Not at this point in time based on when the flight is, etc.
arollins likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by justhere
And given that you don't know when the flight changed, you also don't know if AA would have proactively contacted you had you not contacted them. So to complain about it is kind of pointless.
Actually, that's exactly what I am trying to warn others about with my "complaint," I never contacted AA. I only noticed this change by happenstance when logging into the APP. None of the three PAX on this itinerary, of two separate PNRs, received any notification that they flights had changed. Just trying to be helpful, DU.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Actually, that's exactly what I am trying to warn others about with my "complaint," I never contacted AA. I only noticed this change by happenstance when logging into the APP. None of the three PAX on this itinerary, of two separate PNRs, received any notification that they flights had changed. Just trying to be helpful, DU.
I understand what you are saying however you DID contact AA. Using the app is just another way to contact them. Contacting AA does not exclusively mean calling them. And again, there's no way of knowing that they weren't going to contact you. The advice to check your reservation is probably one of the best and most offered pieces of advice given on Flyertalk. You just happened to cloud it with some extraneous info that was specific to your situation and your advice got lost among that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.