Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Hkg-lax 192 engine shutdown after landing (Gate 41, 43 tow in)

Old May 2, 2019, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PltPro, AMEX Platinum

Hello all, you guys always know how to find the info.

Was a normal flight coming into lax. The plane was late getting into hkg from dfw and the turn around was pretty quick to get us out a little delayed but made great time getting into lax.

Upon landing the captain came over the pa and said he was shutting both engines down and we would be towed in.

Any idea why? Just curious as I have never had this experience. Thanks.
Old May 2, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by wireless_999
Upon landing the captain came over the pa and said he was shutting both engines down and we would be towed in.

No issue. LAX has some tow in gates (gates 41/43 are amongst the ones that require a tow in) because of the proximity to the terminal building and it's in a tight spot.
dciolli and fedechat like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Happened to us last year on a SYD-LAX flight. Captain told us that he would shut down the engines and wait for a tug to tow us into the gate. We had landed around 30 mins early, but it took 45 mins for the tug to show up!
Old May 2, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
No issue. Gates 41 and 43 are always tow-in gates for widebody aircraft due to the geometry of the apron and the terminal in that area.
Old May 3, 2019, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PltPro, AMEX Platinum
Thank you all!

Thanks guys! You guys always have the answers!
Old May 3, 2019, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by wireless_999
Hello all, you guys always know how to find the info.

Was a normal flight coming into lax. The plane was late getting into hkg from dfw and the turn around was pretty quick to get us out a little delayed but made great time getting into lax.

What I find interesting is it would only take 1 more sentence to let the pax know this was normal and due to the tight space/proximity to terminal.
HofstraJet and atbPy like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by chfenton
What I find interesting is it would only take 1 more sentence to let the pax know this was normal and due to the tight space/proximity to terminal.
Curse of knowledge. To him it was routine and the implications were known. Being removed from the passenger perspective, it probably never crossed his mind that the passengers would perceive this as something other than one of several normal modes of operation.

This is a common issue in any communication between parties with different levels of subject matter proficiency (sometimes with very bad results, see pretty much any space flight disaster).
JDiver, Antarius and platbrownguy like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
maybe it was to save fuel
Old May 3, 2019, 10:27 am

I was on that flight, didn't even think twice about it haha, just thought it was normal to be towed in

I thought the flight was going to be delayed even more but they did a really quick turnaround

One thing I observed after landing was how many wheelchairs there were waiting outside... Not sure if that is normal
wireless_999 likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It’s common at TBIT as well. Aircraft are moved into a dock as well as pushed back using tugs instead of engine power. While the engines are off, power is provided by the APU, the aircraft’s auxiliary power unit.
Old May 3, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
"Hkg-lax 192 engine shutdown after landing" - Not a problem
Hkg-lax 192 engine shutdown before landing - Problem
ktllo, atbPy, mnhusker and 5 others like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
I am often on the DFW-LAX flight and get towed in. Sometimes it is right away and it only takes an extra 5 minutes, other times it take 10 minutes before the tug hooks up. One time the pilot came on the speaker and said "We are stopping our engines and getting towed into the gate. This is because this gate was designed for a DC6."
dciolli, DenverBrian and atbPy like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mvoight
"Hkg-lax 192 engine shutdown after landing" - Not a problem
Hkg-lax 192 engine shutdown before landing - Problem
It always takes longer to get there and land with one engine. That must mean if both engines go out, they never come down. That’s scary!
Old May 4, 2019, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
It always takes longer to get there and land with one engine. That must mean if both engines go out, they never come down. That’s scary!
A bit like choosing between NYC 1939 and prehistoric times as in "The Odyssey of Flight 33" (Twilight Zone, Season 2 Ep 18, Feb 24, 1961)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.