Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge as of 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge as of 2017

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2017, 5:16 pm

HE STRIKES AGAIN! ...

No, you must contact them from 8AM to 7PM central time, M-F. It's $100 for the gold challenge. Maybe you can ask them for an interim status since you were an Executive Platinum in the past...
Old Mar 18, 2017, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Gino Troian
HE STRIKES AGAIN! ...

No, you must contact them from 8AM to 7PM central time, M-F. It's $100 for the gold challenge. Maybe you can ask them for an interim status since you were an Executive Platinum in the past...
It's 2017. Is AA's computer system really as outdated as people say? I can't imagine how hard it can possibly be to allow members to sign up and pay for gold/platinum challenges on AA.com.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Landscaper
It's 2017. Is AA's computer system really as outdated as people say? I can't imagine how hard it can possibly be to allow members to sign up and pay for gold/platinum challenges on AA.com.
Yes, just like how AA hasn't integrated Seatback TVs on some long distance flight. Compared to Delta which has Seatback TVs on basically every long haul flight
Old Mar 18, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Landscaper
I can't imagine how hard it can possibly be to allow members to sign up and pay for gold/platinum challenges on AA.com.
I'd guess the cost/benefit calculation of doing so doesn't work out.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:17 am

Do you earn 500 mile upgrades during challenges
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by shayflyer11
Do you earn 500 mile upgrades during challenges
E500s aren't earned until one has status.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:05 pm

What if you did the challenge with status during the challenge
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:00 pm

Then technically yes... but to be safe just pick up your phone and ask.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:43 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Yes, then you do earn upgrades (or at least did in 2014). Given that you now have to pay extra to get the status during the challenge, I'd certainly get that confirmed before paying more, but I'd expect you would. It's $160 worth of upgrades, cash cost, so not too far from paying the extra ~$200 for status during the challenge for that reason alone.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Hi all, I've read through the thread but still cannot find the answer to my question...

The Wiki has undocumented information regarding when a status would expire, but I wanted to see if anyone who has completed the challenge can verify.

I am hoping to do a PLT challenge beginning May 19 and will complete the requirements within the 90 days...will this result in PLT status through Jan 31 2018 or earlier/later?

Any help is appreciated!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:54 pm

Hi everyone,

Here are a few observations from my recent challenge.

I flew BOS > NRT business class (X) for work and opted for the challenge. Actually, I called AA after I got back from my one week trip to Japan, so this was 10 days after my initial activity. The lady on the phone mentioned that the guideline is to only go back 5 days, but would try anyways. To my surprise, the challenge went through with a 3/5 start date, the day I flew!

The roundtrip flight with JAL X ticket covered the EQD and EQM required, so I am a happy Platinum camper now.

The only downside (which I just realized today) is that this status is only good to Jan 31, 2018. My assumption was that this would be good through 2018, but it doesn't look like that is the case.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by tune4jack
Hi everyone,

Here are a few observations from my recent challenge.

I flew BOS > NRT business class (X) for work and opted for the challenge. Actually, I called AA after I got back from my one week trip to Japan, so this was 10 days after my initial activity. The lady on the phone mentioned that the guideline is to only go back 5 days, but would try anyways. To my surprise, the challenge went through with a 3/5 start date, the day I flew!

The roundtrip flight with JAL X ticket covered the EQD and EQM required, so I am a happy Platinum camper now.

The only downside (which I just realized today) is that this status is only good to Jan 31, 2018. My assumption was that this would be good through 2018, but it doesn't look like that is the case.
The previous rule of thumb has been challenges begun prior to 16 June only last the status year they were taken in; to persist through 31 Jan 2019, a challenge must generally be started after 16 June. (This is mentioned in the Wikipost.) Apparently, the former part of the rule is still in effect; I'd expect the latter part would be followed as well.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
The previous rule of thumb has been challenges begun prior to 16 June only last the status year they were taken in; to persist through 31 Jan 2019, a challenge must generally be started after 16 June. (This is mentioned in the Wikipost.) Apparently, the former part of the rule is still in effect; I'd expect the latter part would be followed as well.
Yup, I found this wiki after noticing the end date. Can't confirm the status duration after June 16 though, unfortunately
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
As a sort of related question - I accepted a targeted challenge offer that will give me platinum status until Jan 31, 2018. I won't hit 50k EQM this year, but I will hit 25k EQM and $3k EQD. What happens on Feb 1? Do I fall to gold or lose all status?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by mauve
As a sort of related question - I accepted a targeted challenge offer that will give me platinum status until Jan 31, 2018. I won't hit 50k EQM this year, but I will hit 25k EQM and $3k EQD. What happens on Feb 1? Do I fall to gold or lose all status?
Fall to Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.