Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge as of 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge as of 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Smiley90
now the real question is, do the 100$ you spend signing up for the challenge count towards EQD?

I'm gonna guess no.

7000EQM/8EQS is a LOT easier to get than 1000EQD.........

Can't you get the required EQM and EQD with a single round trip transcon in business?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Can't you get the required EQM and EQD with a single round trip transcon in business?
Apologies, by "easy" I meant "efficient". E.g. you can get the EQM with a single connecting transcon in Y already, but not necessarily the EQD. The challenge requirements in total are still relatively easy to reach though.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:37 am

Data points from my call:
Gold challenge without status: $120
Gold challenge with gold status: $300

If doing platinum challenge and meet the gold challenge requirements, you will get Gold. Rep confirmed this was official policy.

Can be backdated 5 days.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Smiley90
now the real question is, do the 100$ you spend signing up for the challenge count towards EQD?

I'm gonna guess no.

7000EQM/8EQS is a LOT easier to get than 1000EQD.........
Ancillary charges such as upgrade copay, baggage fees, change fees, etc. don't count for EQD, so it's pretty sure Challenge payments don't count forvEQD either.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Hi all,
I have two long-haul trips planned early this year but I need PLT to guest a colleague of mine on the 2nd trip -- if I take the challenge on January, it'll give me PLT until Jan 2018. What happens if I attain enough EQMs to reach PLT (50k EQM) (or PLT Pro 75k EQM) at some point later this year? (EQD is not a problem.) Will attaining 50k EQM by conventional means extend the challenge-earned PLT to Jan 2019 or only reaching a higher status will bump that date?

Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jimmielin
Hi all,
I have two long-haul trips planned early this year but I need PLT to guest a colleague of mine on the 2nd trip -- if I take the challenge on January, it'll give me PLT until Jan 2018. What happens if I attain enough EQMs to reach PLT (50k EQM) (or PLT Pro 75k EQM) at some point later this year? (EQD is not a problem.) Will attaining 50k EQM by conventional means extend the challenge-earned PLT to Jan 2019 or only reaching a higher status will bump that date?

Thanks!
Taking a challenge will not affect your ability to earn status the conventional way and all miles earned in the calendar year will count towards it. It will be good until the end of January 2019.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by MADPhil
Taking a challenge will not affect your ability to earn status the conventional way and all miles earned in the calendar year will count towards it. It will be good until the end of January 2019.
Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:51 am

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by danbrew
...16 Segments during the challenge...[/B]
As a side note/question, does a 2-leg, one-way flight (e.g. SAT-PHX-OAK) count for 1 or 2 segments?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by LukeO9
As a side note/question, does a 2-leg, one-way flight (e.g. SAT-PHX-OAK) count for 1 or 2 segments?
Assuming the legs have different flight numbers, 2. If they have the same flight number (i.e. a direct flight), 1.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:41 pm

I'm totally new to this FF game and have no idea what I should be doing. I am planning to fly Asia-USA on and off over the next few months, and am considering signing up for the AA Platinum Challenge but not sure if it is worth it. Here's my dilemma - hope someone can help me make sense of it!

Currently a loyal (patriotic) Qantas FF despite losing status years ago. With the planned flights, I'd be bumped up to QFF Gold pretty quickly. However, I will only be able to retain this status for the next year, as Qantas requires 4 segments flown on Qantas metal annually - unrealistic for me as I live in the US now, and my annual SYD-LAX-JFK flights are only considered 1 segment each way (what a rip!).

On the other hand, I can sign up for the AA Platinum Challenge, and likely complete it with the planned flights (booking AA coded CX flights), and end up at the same OW status. This status would last me until 2019. The downsides are that there is a cash outlay to sign up for the challenge, and I also can't guarantee that I will be able to book AA coded flights.

Lastly, I think that QFF Gold > AA Platinum in benefits, but I don't know enough to know if that's a fact or my own bias.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
What I haven't found is, how long do you have to get the EQM? 3 month, 6 months? Thinking about helping hubby get status.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
What I haven't found is, how long do you have to get the EQM? 3 month, 6 months? Thinking about helping hubby get status.
It's a 3 month timeframe.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by getagb
It's a 3 month timeframe.
Thanks I haven't seen anything posted about this.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Thanks I haven't seen anything posted about this.
Well it is in the Wiki
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MADPhil
Well it is in the Wiki
And, in this -extremely- recent, highly comprehensive listing of the terms for the present version of the challenge:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27697634-post6.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.