Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Using miles costs more than cash price?? (AA Award on BA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage

I'd like to book BOS-LHR non-stop round trip. AA.com quotes $486 in the main cabin.
When I try to redeem miles for the same flights the cost is 52,500 miles PLUS a $693 fee.
I asked AA customer service about this and they offered the following response:
"Note that Heathrow has the highest taxes and fees. On a mileage ticket you will incur the airport taxes and fees, which explains the high fee. I suggest you understand the terms and conditions associated with the low fares.There simply isn't a way to do a comparison or a conversion to show dollar value, since AAdvantage miles are not a true currency."
Am I missing something or can someone explain this crazy fee structure?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by EL78
I'd like to book BOS-LHR non-stop round trip. AA.com quotes $486 in the main cabin.
When I try to redeem miles for the same flights the cost is 52,500 miles PLUS a $693 fee.
"Note that Heathrow has the highest taxes and fees. On a mileage ticket you will incur the airport taxes and fees, which explains the high fee. I suggest you understand the terms and conditions associated with the low fares.There simply isn't a way to do a comparison or a conversion to show dollar value, since AAdvantage miles are not a true currency."
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

They told you rubbish.

Your problem is you’re using AAdvantage miles to fly British Airways, which requires extortionate “carrier imposed fees” (they used to call it “fuel charges”), not Heathrow fees or U. K. taxes. Fly AA, you’ll pay much, much less. (You’ll still pay the United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty on the U. K. originating flight - see UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread).)

See Carrier Imposed Surcharge / YQ: AA award on BA / British (& IB) & avoiding it

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 11, 2019 at 7:08 pm
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is probably a BA flight, so will have the very high $$$$ BA carrier award surcharge. (= 100% airline profit)

Flights from most UK airports have the APD https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Passenger_Duty
That applies to all airlines and all tickets. Does not matter if award or a cash ticket. They are same $.
The UK real taxes and fees for arrivals are not that dissimilar to any other airport/country.

Just pay cash for the flights
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Even without the BA surcharge, the mileage ticket will still set you back ~$200 with the APD and other taxes. I think this is a case where you just buy the ticket and save the miles.
jliehr and Spiff like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Book the cash ticket, not an award with miles.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:00 pm

It is not just AA. Sometimes, when you are looking for hotels with points, you can pay more in "cash and points" than just booking outright with cash.

Also very funny.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Every program has their "sweet spot" and the not so "sweet". To me, the answer is clear, spend the $$, why burn the miles + pay more $$$ and fly in the same type cabin.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
I would jump all over a sub $500 R/T Fair to Europe.
aztimm likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:10 pm

II asked AA customer service about this and they offered the following response:
"Note that Heathrow has the highest taxes and fees. On a mileage ticket you will incur the airport taxes and fees, which explains the high fee..."
Are you paraphrasing a conversation, or did they lie (sorry, I mean fib) in writing (e-mail)?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by pdac1975
Exactly. I haven't seen sub $500 to Europe (well from Texas or Arizona) for quite some time. I do remember partaking in several around $425 fares, and even one about $350, back in the day (it seemed that flight was half filled with FlyerTalkers). ^
(but as I get older I'm looking at more biz now too )

OP--I'd just book this, pay the ticket, and be done with it.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by pdac1975
Really? There are loads of these. You can easily get $300 fares to Europe, $500 fares to Asia.
Look at secretflying, multiple deals for $300

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.