Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA to Offer Push Notifications for Boarding Process

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA to Offer Push Notifications for Boarding Process

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
since GA's have no interest in enforcing boarding order, how about programming the boarding system to deny boarding to people that aren't in (higher than) the boarding group currently boarding ?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
since GA's have no interest in enforcing boarding order, how about programming the boarding system to deny boarding to people that aren't in (higher than) the boarding group currently boarding ?
Right - although I get it - they are judged on how fast they can load the plane and they typically get paid very poorly so I can see how they want to avoid conflict and get everyone on board.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: CK or bust
These days I'm not picky - I'll take any positive actual enhAAncements as they come and this is certainly a cool feature.
robertablake likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by controller1
Last flight at DFW we left the Admirals Club ten minutes prior to the scheduled boarding time. We arrived one minute prior to that scheduled boarding time and the Gate Agent was already boarding Group 6.
Lolz -- was this in terminal C ? I arrived at boarding time yesterday at DFW to see the backside of group 9. Not a big deal when I have just my small underseat bag. But endlessly aggravating when in a bulkhead or when lugging a roll-aboard.
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I guess for those that do not know boarding times by a/c type or can't remember that their 3PM flight will commence boarding by 2:30 PM there might be value. But if the GA were to start 10 minutes early I'm not sure the app would be much help.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by donotblink

Unless you’re gold and trying to score a MCE seat or trying to get a lfbu, any reason to try to check in as early as possible?
Well, now that I think of it I guess it is out of habit from when I worked and our company's airline of preference was United. At that time, if the flight was oversold they would offload the last passengers to check in if not enough volunteers. I had not thought about it until now! Thanks....
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by fastflyer
Lolz -- was this in terminal C ? I arrived at boarding time yesterday at DFW to see the backside of group 9. Not a big deal when I have just my small underseat bag. But endlessly aggravating when in a bulkhead or when lugging a roll-aboard.
Actually it was Terminal A. It is frustrating.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Southwest has been doing this for a while. I usually get the notice right when they call A1-15 business select, sometimes before.

Last edited by skunker; Apr 29, 2019 at 5:33 pm
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Don't want // don't need.

Can see how this would be useful to others, though. So looks like I need to double check that all notifications are turned off for my AA app.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I guess for those that do not know boarding times by a/c type or can't remember that their 3PM flight will commence boarding by 2:30 PM there might be value. But if the GA were to start 10 minutes early I'm not sure the app would be much help.
But why not? Since it's based on the first boarding pass being scanned, a forgetful or conference call-prone pax might stand a better chance of making it to the gate than if the app simply reminded someone of the "scheduled" boarding time which can be before, at, or after reality.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by AAdamE
Right - although I get it - they are judged on how fast they can load the plane and they typically get paid very poorly so I can see how they want to avoid conflict and get everyone on board.
It's my experience with my Asia flights, particularly at HKG and ICN, the GA do a much better job of policing the queue. And I'm amaze how the a westerner always seems to start the gate lice mentality at some point. But at times, I've witnessed so GA at LAX and PHL actively deny people boarding too. There have been several announcement ahead of boarding that they would be doing so. But still, some people insist on being made an example.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by stewlevine
It's a nice addition, but even nicer would be a warning five/ten minutes before boarding begins, especially at airports that board before the scheduled time.
A problem is that AA sometimes pushes back boarding at the last minute and sometimes does this multiple times on a rolling basis. The only way to know that they are actually going to start boarding is to wait until they start boarding. I suppose they could send two notifications (intend to start in five/ten minutes and actually started), but that's a bit much.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by enpremiere
But why not? Since it's based on the first boarding pass being scanned, a forgetful or conference call-prone pax might stand a better chance of making it to the gate than if the app simply reminded someone of the "scheduled" boarding time which can be before, at, or after reality.

H'm if an alert went off when the first BP was scanned unless the gate was nearby the time you got down to the gate you might be behind Group 7 or 8. Forget about your bags being near you. I have calls but I know when boarding is and adjust accordingly. My practice is to get down to the gate about 10 minutes before boarding. If there is a maintenance issue I'd like to know about it sooner rather than later.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
H'm if an alert went off when the first BP was scanned unless the gate was nearby the time you got down to the gate you might be behind Group 7 or 8. Forget about your bags being near you. I have calls but I know when boarding is and adjust accordingly. My practice is to get down to the gate about 10 minutes before boarding. If there is a maintenance issue I'd like to know about it sooner rather than later.
Your point is well taken, especially if your in the MIA FL and your gate is an E or low D gate play but maintenance/crew etc.. delays are so fluid that it's difficult to forecast in advance which is why I assume the first boarding pass scan is most realistic rather than simply sending push notifications about the scheduled boarding time which might cause some folks to be unhappy if they start boarding early or they board very late since it's not reflective of what's actually happening.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by donotblink

Unless you’re gold and trying to score a MCE seat or trying to get a lfbu, any reason to try to check in as early as possible?
Twice during an equipment change (to a smaller aircraft, of course) they announced that they we going by check in time when moving Pax over to the new aircraft.
HofstraJet likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.