Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Better to buy as a codeshare?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2019, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Better to buy as a codeshare?

I'm going to buy a business class round trip flight that costs ~$3000 and the distance is about 20,000 miles. The flight itself is a operated 1/2 by AA and the other 1/2 by BA. I have the option of buying the flight as AA marketed (with all AA flight numbers) or BA marketed (with BA flight numbers).

As an AA Gold it seems to make much more sense to me to buy the flights as BA marketed:

AA Marketed:
Award miles: 3000x7 = 21,000
EQM: 20,000x2 = 40,000
EQD: 3,000

BA Marketed:
Award miles: 125% x 20000 = 25,000
EQM: 20,000x2 = 40,000
EQD: 25% x 20000 = 5,000

Am I correct here?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:18 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

You are correct. Well almost.

I think award miles should be 165% not 125% as you get 40% bonus from your gold status. This means 33,000 award miles for the BA booking.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Only consideration would be if you're AA flights are on a 77W and you wanted to upgrade, as I don't believe you can do so on a BA flight number, but otherwise yes seems that you're better off in booking the BA flight.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:44 am

Check the partner earning chart. You might not earn anything depending on your O-D pair. For example:
you won’t earn anything if you fly BA to India from LHR, though you will if you use Cathay Pacific.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by carlosnunez.dfw
Check the partner earning chart. You might not earn anything depending on your O-D pair. For example:
you won’t earn anything if you fly BA to India from LHR, though you will if you use Cathay Pacific.
What are you even talking about? Of course you earn miles on BA when flying LHR-India!
GTITAN and fotographer like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:49 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by carlosnunez.dfw
I'm not sure why you think you won't earn AA RDMs, EQMs, and EQDs flying BA metal with BA flight numbers LHR-India. The Partner Earning Chart for BA states:

Earn and redeem miles with British Airways

Regions

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on British Airways within Europe, and between Europe and:
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Canada
  • Caribbean
  • Central America
  • Mexico
  • Middle East
  • South America
  • South Pacific
  • U.S.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...sh-airways.jsp

Every fare basis in the chart earns something.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I guess that the person was inferring that , since India is not in that list of eligible routes, that there would be no mileage accrued travelling on BA on that route
Old Apr 27, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Well, you do earn on LHR-India routes - just in case that really was the concern here. I think they consider India as part of Asia.

I have 4-6 LHR-MAA (or reverse) segments on BA a year - usually I fare - always get points.
JDiver and GTITAN like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:19 pm

If LHR-India does not accrue miles, I will be a lowly Gold instead being EXP
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Flying BA Europe-India has accrued AA miles, EQM / EQP etc. since AA could earn on BA and vice versa. Just use the BA partner chart on aa.com here.

Now, back to the topic, please.

jcatman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.