Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Drunk passengers in emergency / exit seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drunk passengers in emergency / exit seats

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HMPS
That has its own merit.
TODAY with the political, social environment we live i (how active are teachers / parents in building up character ?) the motto should be

"SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING"!
Honestly, I don't find the world that different than when I was growing up. But I never watch commercial TV news. Ever.
I prefer getting my news in more depth than the time allotted to fill in between the advertisements
I first stopped watching local news, and within a week or two my world had gotten much brighter and less threatening.
In my view, the nature of commercial news is to drive ratings by inducing fear and loathing. In the minds of news directors, the ideal viewer is too scared to leave their house and are glued to the TV for information.
I opted out and my life experience has not proven the world is nothing like the place portrayed on the idiot box.
windscar likes this.

Last edited by rickg523; May 1, 2019 at 2:12 pm
Old May 1, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by metallo
Why would you do this? It amazes me how much some people here care about others following the rules. Did their lack of seatbelt use somehow affect you directly? I'm not surprised the captain was "less than happy" when you talked to him, but it probably had less to do with the passengers not wearing seatbelts and more to do with being forced to discuss it with you. Did you also ask for compensation?

Perhaps a better question in the context of this thread... has anyone ever had a negative safety-related outcome due to exit row passengers over-indulging? Were you personally harmed in some way as a result of the flight crew's "negligence?" No wonder AA Customer Relations responds with so many generic form letters if they have to weed through complaints like this to get to the legitimate ones.
Sorry, but in the event of extreme turbulence I don't want POS flying through the cabin. - maybe that was the thought?
Geordie405 likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That has its own merit.
TODAY with the political, social environment we live i (how active are teachers / parents in building up character ?) the motto should be

I think that has a time and place.

I used to work at a large company with a big campus and I saw someone skulking around wearing extremely baggy clothing that covered his entire body (hoodie, hood up, plus jacket and gloves) in 90 degree weather. The guy probably had some sort of medical condition where sun should not touch his skin. Still, it was possibly suspicious (who knows what he is hiding under there?) so I (apologetically) mentioned it to security. Probably nothing, but you never know. If there's a 0.001% chance that it's heading off a mass shooting before it starts, it's worthwhile. Of course I trust security to deal with the issue in a reasonable way (since, you know, it's probably nothing).

If someone in a seat in front of me is not wearing their seatbelt, that's not my business. It is the FA's job to enforce FAA regulations, but I don't work for the FAA and the guy without a seatbelt is not endangering me (or other passengers) so it would not be my place to say anything.
Old May 1, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by jspira
Having had the wonderful opportunity to have met JDiver in person (at an AA gate when I was leaving on the launch flight of the first 777-300ER), I can say that you'd never guess his age in person...
That confirms what I suspected after taking a look at his profile. ^
Old May 1, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
That has its own merit.

Yesterday I saw a person taking food from the all-you-can-eat buffet and stowing it in her purse for later. In obvious violation of the rules.

I really regret not saying something.

Sarcasm.

I fear several of you do not understand what a tattle-tale is or the types of infractions they tattle about. Obviously if a child brings a weapon to school then it is not tattling to inform an authority figure. The role of teachers and parents is to help kids to differentiate between the various types of infractions. This may be a greater challenge than I had thought when even adults here can’t make the distinction.

As related to the OP, I am of the opinion that the behavior of the honeymooning couple should have been pursued with the FA. That behavior affects pax safety whether its in Exit Row or not.

Last edited by arcticflier; May 1, 2019 at 6:14 pm
Old May 1, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Instead, I told myself that since he was frail, I could just shove him out of the way in an emergency and open the window exit myself.
This has happened to me more than once and I have handled it similarly. The only time I alerted a FA to a problem is when an very large pax using a belt extender was at the window. It was doubtful he would have even fit through the window exit.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by bambinomartino
It was meant as a compliment but I guess with the outrage culture in this day and age, anything can get anyone's panties in a bunch. Fer Jeez'...

Many, and I would venture a guess most, of the people in that age group are not particularly well versed with things Internet. My own mother is only a year older than the gentleman, and despite having a degree in CS and being a computer programmer for decades is one of those people. She happened to leave that line of work around the time graphical user interface became the norm in personal computers and I suppose she never caught up.

In closing, lighten the hell up.

Mods, apologies if my language crossed a line.
It's not outrage culture at all. And I didn't take your comment as some kind of attack. I understood you meant it to be complimentary. But that's my point. It's the assumption on your part that people past a certain age are incapable of keeping up with younger people and technology. It's condescending and supremely inaccurate. As you say, "you would venture a guess...." based on your mother and your own experience. In my experience those I've met and interacted with around that age have not only had the tech skills of Gen Xers but the smarts and experience that come with age. Which makes them formidable, indeed. They don't need a pat on the back from someone so ill informed as to believe their own skills are far superior, based on ...not much.
Old May 2, 2019, 1:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Looks like OP has run for the hills. I strongly suspect he is from a foreign culture where slights are often magnified to gain advantage. Or even slights are manufactured to gain advantage. OP was only able to request compensation by not informing the FA, and may have actively chosen to both exaggerate how drunk the other passengers were and then also decide to not report it because that wouldn't potentially get him compensation.

Originally Posted by metallo
Why would you do this? It amazes me how much some people here care about others following the rules. Did their lack of seatbelt use somehow affect you directly? I'm not surprised the captain was "less than happy" when you talked to him, but it probably had less to do with the passengers not wearing seatbelts and more to do with being forced to discuss it with you.
The captain is less than happy because unsecured passengers (like unsecured anything) are a hazard to themselves and, more importantly, others. The captain is also less than happy because he doesn't want to work with people who don't do their jobs, especially the safety aspects.

And you tell the captain because if people who observe a process failing say something about it, we hopefully all enjoy a better process.

Perhaps a better question in the context of this thread... has anyone ever had a negative safety-related outcome due to exit row passengers over-indulging?
I've never had a negative safety-related outcome due to not wearing my seatbelt, but I still wear it.
Old May 2, 2019, 6:09 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by PHLondoner
I wasn't at the Kennedy Assassination but can make some logical inferences.

I just find it hard to believe that if they were so drunk and useless that none of the FAs they interacted with - at the gate, boarding, on the plane, etc. - intervened or said anything. Especially considering exit row pax are forced to have affirmative interactions with FAs during the process. So either several employees negligently allowed dangerously drunk pax to sit in the exit row seats...or, the OP is exaggerating a bit. My $$ is on the latter. Maybe they were buzzed and having too good a time and the OP needs to lighten up? Also, the passengers probably most affected by poor behavior would be the ones directly next to them or in front (depending on plane config) and no one else complained or brought up the issue? No one AT ALL said anything about these dangerously out of control drunkards who were so obnoxiously drunk that they were a threat to human safety? I don't like victim blaming but, after adding the compensation admission, the whole thing feels thin.
Thin is a very good word. I would go even further.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by villainstlucia
I was sure this accusation would come. Thank you. Yes, I expect a compensation and no, I did not start beeing concerned when i thought I might get one.
You would likely get compensation if you took action during the flight and were treated inappropriately by cabin crew, and maybe by passengers, because at the end of the day you got to you destination safely.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by arcticflier

Yesterday I saw a person taking food from the all-you-can-eat buffet and stowing it in her purse for later. In obvious violation of the rules.

I really regret not saying something.

I demand compensation. Just like in the navy, anyone caught stealing food from the Club, steals it from each and every one of us.

We must make sure we teach that person a lesson.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: National - Exec, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Delta - Gold, AA - Plat
I've actually witnessed a FA try every method in the book to subtly cut off a drunk or near drunk passenger in the exit row next to me. It was a 2-hour CRJ flight into DFW, and while I could tell the man was buzzed even before drinks, after 1 beer and the affects of altitude, he was definitely slurring his words when requested the next beer. She obliged by returning a 1/3 full single glass/cup. When he objected, she made a comment about just using the remainder of an open can (HA!) and said she'd return with another can.

About 15 minutes passes, he hits the call button to request another beer. Her reply was wonderful, saying that they were about to prepare for landing and drink service was complete (we were still 45 minutes from landing, still at cruising). She looked at me with a "are you OK with this" expression (I was sitting at the window next to him in the exit row), and I just smile. Cue the 45 minute b&tch-fest he shares with me about service going down the drain at AA. Happy to have noise cancelling headphones that flight, all I did was smile and occasionally nod.

I'm sure it depends on the crew, and level of intoxication, but it was nice to see a response from her, tactful, but a response nonetheless.

Leighjohnwi
apeortdz and windscar like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.