Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Drunk passengers in emergency / exit seats

Drunk passengers in emergency / exit seats

Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Free drinks is not a license to get drunk. Free or paid is irrelevant; you are supposed to stop when you have had enough, and if you don't the FAs are supposed to stop serving you.
exactly. Free is not carte blanche to behave like a fool.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:32 am

My understanding is that intoxicated people aren't supposed to be allowed to board an airplane, and FAs aren't supposed to serve alcohol to passengers who have had too much to drink.

The reason for the rules is that passengers must be capable of following crew instructions, especially in an emergency.

It seems to me that AA dropped the ball three times, by letting the couple on the plane, letting them sit in an exit row, and serving them during the flight.
hcrawford likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: Delta,Jetblue,American
I too had a similar experience on a Delta flight from PBI to LGA but my two people were a man and a woman who were in their 90's and had trouble
getting down the aisle. Before the flight took off I did notify the FA of this bad choice to sell the emergency seats to people that could not obviously help in an emergency. Victoria in a very "snippy" voice said they could not discriminate!
When I got home I notified Delta and they did not even answer.
It was not a full plane and those "oldies" could have sat somewhere else.
I think those seats are more expensive and all the airlines care about is money and not the safety of their passengers.
HMPS, hcrawford and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
Disabled too.

Guy boards as disabled and takes the window seat. I board and there he is. He could barely walk. He affirmed he could handle the window. Should have been culled when the alarm beeped at the boarding pulpit.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I have ... in Vegas.
I guess whatever happened in Vegas, stayed in Vegas. At least for a few more hours.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by iquitos
Guy boards as disabled and takes the window seat. I board and there he is. He could barely walk. He affirmed he could handle the window. Should have been culled when the alarm beeped at the boarding pulpit.
Exactly......even WN doesn't let disabled preboards sit in Exit Row
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
My thoughts.... FWIW.... Relax, have a couple of two or three drinks, and enjoy the flight.

Odds are 99.99% everything will be just fine. In the unfortunate event it does not then at least you will have had some fun punching out.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by bambinomartino
Genuinely curious if that means you're over 70, or you've flown within each of seven consecutive spans of 10 years, which could be achieved by someone aged 50, provided his first flight was when he was an infant.

None of my business, and you did say this was your last post, on the OP's topic anyway, but that's some mad forum post formatting skills for a septuagenarian.
WOW. Ageism at all? Keep that comment in memory for when you attain the ripe "old" age of 70 and people half your age with half your experience and abilities start to question your abilities. Because...ageism. Too bad Richard Branson isn't on this thread. He might have something to say about that comment.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by iquitos
I experienced one of those sitting next to me on an RJ, window seat in the exit row. The guy had trouble walking (was helped onto the aircraft by a traveling companion who appeared to be his middle aged daughter) and finding his seat, didn't understand and needed help to fasten his seatbelt, couldn't feed himself snacks very well, etc., so he seemed to be senile as well as disabled. The flight was a bit late and the two seats that were assigned (windows in the same exit row, where I had the aisle seat next to the guy and someone else was seated next to the daughter) at the gate seemed to be the last two available seats on the flight. Still, the GA and FA should have noticed that both of them (she would have needed to help him in an emergency) upon boarding and again when both were required to get a response to the standard exit row questions. I tried to say something to the FA but feared being booted from the flight myself, so I was reluctant to say something like "Just look at him: he's obviously both too incapacitated to open the door and too senile to be understand what to do. Are you kidding that you think it's OK to place him in an exit row?" Instead, I told myself that since he was frail, I could just shove him out of the way in an emergency and open the window exit myself.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: AA, SPG
Originally Posted by villainstlucia
I was sure this accusation would come. Thank you. Yes, I expect a compensation and no, I did not start beeing concerned when i thought I might get one.
I may have been on the same flight. I expect compensation from you for not speaking up at the time.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by ckfred
My understanding is that intoxicated people aren't supposed to be allowed to board an airplane, and FAs aren't supposed to serve alcohol to passengers who have had too much to drink.

The reason for the rules is that passengers must be capable of following crew instructions, especially in an emergency.

It seems to me that AA dropped the ball three times, by letting the couple on the plane, letting them sit in an exit row, and serving them during the flight.
Or the OP is exaggerating greatly....
wrp96 and Beltway2A like this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by AAway
On the TV show airline, back around 2004-ish .... I remember several episodes that included WN gate agents denying boarding to drunk passengers, regardless of where they were going to sit. Has anyone seen AA do this? I haven't..
No but I've certainly given it my best shot.... I also don't ever sit in the exit rows though.
AAway likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:11 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by PHLondoner
Or the OP is exaggerating greatly....
We were not there. We do not know for sure, and most likely never will. My thoughts were that as cabin crew for many years, that if they conducted themselves in such a manner onboard the aircraft, the drink supply would have been chopped. Actually, I had difficulty following the story as it seemed to jump all over the place. In my opinion something is not right in any of this. How does one fit, never mind Dance in an aircraft seat?

Anyway back to the the real world. JDiver my sweet, I had no idea that you had a Significant Birthday on the horizon. You are truly one of the constellations in Flyertalks crown and I just wish that I could be at your party to pour and serve the drinks and,listen to some of your anecdotes.
panjabi, AAway, skylady and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by villainstlucia
Hello,

my first posting, even if I read since quite some time. On my flight from MIA to UVF (AA2295 on April 23th), there was a couple in their 50s on their honey moon. Good for them! The problem is that I had noticed already before boarding how drunk they were (it was far beyond any understandable exitement for this historic event, and their behaviour was all about beeing intoxicated). I assume it was alcohol only but I am not an expert.

I was sitting in the row behind the emergency seats and... voila... they were sitting in front of me, at the emergency seat. I noticed how the FA tried to professionally oversee and ignore the situation, and I must admit I made the big mistake of not asking the FA or the purser to have them seated to first class for example, and hopefully having not intoxicated people at the emergency exit. On a negative answer I would have had enough time to deboard before take off. Call me crazy, but I did really not feel comfortable during the entire flight because of them (as did other fellow passengers).

Take note that on this config it was 2 + 2 on the emergency exit row... therefore one door had to be operated by the honeymooners. Of course chances that an emergency occours is low, perhaps the FA could have helped, etc. etc. But if the FA ask people sitting their if they are willing and able to assist in case of emergency, I assume it has a certain importance.

During the flight the soon to be husband went back and forth a few times, always with new drinks. I can not say if the FA was smart enough to pour tonic water without Gin i the plastic cups.... or if he had a bottle somewhere. Still, the couple was wasted during the entire flight, literally dancing in the seat, shouting, singing, hardly able to keep their eyes propperly open. When walking everybody could witness how difficult it was for them....

Is this a situation where AA should have done something Is this something passengers must accept? I did send a mail to AA, all they said is they would investigate the situation... nothing else.I admit that I also asked for a compensation since I really had to be worried all the time. Nothing.

What are your thoughts?
Sorry.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

We were not there. We do not know for sure, and most likely never will. My thoughts were that as cabin crew for many years, that if they conducted themselves in such a manner onboard the aircraft, the drink supply would have been chopped. Actually, I had difficulty following the story as it seemed to jump all over the place. In my opinion something is not right in any of this. How does one fit, never mind Dance in an aircraft seat?

Anyway back to the the real world. JDiver my sweet, I had no idea that you had a Significant Birthday on the horizon. You are truly one of the constellations in Flyertalks crown and I just wish that I could be at your party to pour and serve the drinks and,listen to some of your anecdotes.
I wasn't at the Kennedy Assassination but can make some logical inferences.

I just find it hard to believe that if they were so drunk and useless that none of the FAs they interacted with - at the gate, boarding, on the plane, etc. - intervened or said anything. Especially considering exit row pax are forced to have affirmative interactions with FAs during the process. So either several employees negligently allowed dangerously drunk pax to sit in the exit row seats...or, the OP is exaggerating a bit. My $$ is on the latter. Maybe they were buzzed and having too good a time and the OP needs to lighten up? Also, the passengers probably most affected by poor behavior would be the ones directly next to them or in front (depending on plane config) and no one else complained or brought up the issue? No one AT ALL said anything about these dangerously out of control drunkards who were so obnoxiously drunk that they were a threat to human safety? I don't like victim blaming but, after adding the compensation admission, the whole thing feels thin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.