Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Drunk passengers in emergency / exit seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drunk passengers in emergency / exit seats

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by OskiBear
Not sure I understand why compensation would be due? If it were a customer service issue, I could see that. However, this was an issue related to perceived safety that could also be remedied on the spot. Why didn't you speak up while this was going on?
Correct.
As Judge Judy would ask, Sir what damage did you suffer and do you have proof ?
PatMike, polinka, windscar and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS
Correct.
As Judge Judy would ask, Sir what damage did you suffer and do you have proof ?
Agree with others that this situation by itself doesn't warrant compensation. To have the gall to complain to AA of an FA not spotting something when they could have informed them and then demanding compensation on top is really the icing on the cake here. Sure, the FAs job is to look out for everyone's safety, but at the same time you can't expect them to catch everything! Depending on the size of the bird and number of FAs, this could be easy to miss, especially if the older couple were being cordial and not belligerent. The proper thing for OP to do was to notify the FA. How that should be done, particularly given the OP was seated directly behind those pax is open to debate but is something that should nonetheless be done. The chances those seated in the emergency exit row will be needed on a given flight are exceptionally low but it's still not worth throwing the dice around like that.

I know some people on this forum love to knock FAs and say that have nothing to do but they actually have quite a bit to do in a confined space with limited resources. They have to make sure all the self loading cargo is loaded on time to get AA's signature D0 service. Then they must check everyone is not being dumb (i.e. seatbelts on, tray tables put away, items properly stowed, seats not reclined,...) then they must deliver a safety briefing which most everyone ignores. After doing all that then they get a couple minutes to be seated while the plane takeoff. Then immediately afterwards, they have to commence meal/drink service. In my years of flying, I've never encountered a single FA where I've had to write a letter to the airline. Have there been some that were grumpy? Sure, but that's par for the course. Imagine living the life of ua1flyer in a customer serving role and you can understand why they can't be giving their 100% all the time. However, there have been several where I have written a nice letter to UA or MS telling them what an asset they have in that FA.

</rant>

-James
enggeol, HMPS, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Agree with others that this situation by itself doesn't warrant compensation. To have the gall to complain to AA of an FA not spotting something when they could have informed them and then demanding compensation on top is really the icing on the cake here. Sure, the FAs job is to look out for everyone's safety, but at the same time you can't expect them to catch everything! Depending on the size of the bird and number of FAs, this could be easy to miss, especially if the older couple were being cordial and not belligerent. The proper thing for OP to do was to notify the FA. How that should be done, particularly given the OP was seated directly behind those pax is open to debate but is something that should nonetheless be done. The chances those seated in the emergency exit row will be needed on a given flight are exceptionally low but it's still not worth throwing the dice around like that.

I know some people on this forum love to knock FAs and say that have nothing to do but they actually have quite a bit to do in a confined space with limited resources. They have to make sure all the self loading cargo is loaded on time to get AA's signature D0 service. I would say that this primarily happens on its own. I have witnessed them making reminder announcements on where to put your personal item and your carry-on, but that's about it. The customers seem to be able to find their own seats in most instances. Then they must check everyone is not being dumb (i.e. seatbelts on, tray tables put away, items properly stowed, seats not reclined,...) then they must deliver a safety briefing which most everyone ignores. Only if on a bird that doesn't have the IFE screens. In those cases, they push the "play" button. After doing all that then they get a couple minutes to be seated while the plane takeoff. Then immediately afterwards, they have to commence meal/drink service. Then for the next 2.5 hours of a 3 hour flight, they read a book and play on their phone, until they pick up garbage one time, and then announce the landing procedures. In my years of flying, I've never encountered a single FA where I've had to write a letter to the airline. Have there been some that were grumpy? Sure, but that's par for the course. Imagine living the life of ua1flyer in a customer serving role and you can understand why they can't be giving their 100% all the time. However, there have been several where I have written a nice letter to UA or MS telling them what an asset they have in that FA.

</rant>

-James
Not saying that "bad service" happens often, but let's not pretend that great service happens often either. Safe to say that most of the time they do the minimum required. Which I am fine with. What bothers is when they are faced with a simple request and act like the world is coming to an end.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by maestro ramen
can you describe the passengers behaviour in precise terms? How was it it obvious that they were drunk?
Originally Posted by villainstlucia
hello,

my first posting, even if i read since quite some time. On my flight from mia to uvf (aa2295 on april 23th), there was a couple in their 50s on their honey moon. Good for them! The problem is that i had noticed already before boarding how drunk they were (it was far beyond any understandable exitement for this historic event, and their behaviour was all about beeing intoxicated). I assume it was alcohol only but i am not an expert.

I was sitting in the row behind the emergency seats and... Voila... They were sitting in front of me, at the emergency seat. I noticed how the fa tried to professionally oversee and ignore the situation, and i must admit i made the big mistake of not asking the fa or the purser to have them seated to first class for example, and hopefully having not intoxicated people at the emergency exit. On a negative answer i would have had enough time to deboard before take off. Call me crazy, but i did really not feel comfortable during the entire flight because of them (as did other fellow passengers).

Take note that on this config it was 2 + 2 on the emergency exit row... Therefore one door had to be operated by the honeymooners. Of course chances that an emergency occours is low, perhaps the fa could have helped, etc. Etc. But if the fa ask people sitting their if they are willing and able to assist in case of emergency, i assume it has a certain importance.

During the flight the soon to be husband went back and forth a few times, always with new drinks. I can not say if the fa was smart enough to pour tonic water without gin i the plastic cups.... Or if he had a bottle somewhere. Still, the couple was wasted during the entire flight, literally dancing in the seat, shouting, singing, hardly able to keep their eyes properly open. When walking everybody could witness how difficult it was for them....

is this a situation where aa should have done something is this something passengers must accept? I did send a mail to aa, all they said is they would investigate the situation... Nothing else.i admit that i also asked for a compensation since i really had to be worried all the time. Nothing.

What are your thoughts?
​​​​​​​
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by genotonda
Not saying that "bad service" happens often, but let's not pretend that great service happens often either. Safe to say that most of the time they do the minimum required. Which I am fine with. What bothers is when they are faced with a simple request and act like the world is coming to an end.
Yes and the trouble is OP never mentioned it to the FA whilst on the ground. It would be one thing if OP said, I told the FAs and they didn't care. Then we could argue about whether the FAs were doing the job and/or what would be appropriate action to take from there. OP never did that so all we can look at is the OP and ask ourselves how could the OP have warned the FAs who may not have noticed this issue.

Once the plane is airborne, the FAs have limited options on what to do, particularly if the passengers don't have medical issues and aren't belligerent. Perhaps they could divert and land back where they came but the safety risk won't disappear until they're finally landed safe on the ground, in which case it would make sense for them to just head to their final destination. Hopefully by then some of the alcohol would have warn off or they could "re-accomodate" the passengers.

-James
wrp96 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 5:25 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by villainstlucia
Hello,

my first posting, even if I read since quite some time. On my flight from MIA to UVF (AA2295 on April 23th), there was a couple in their 50s on their honey moon. Good for them! The problem is that I had noticed already before boarding how drunk they were (it was far beyond any understandable exitement for this historic event, and their behaviour was all about beeing intoxicated). I assume it was alcohol only but I am not an expert.

I was sitting in the row behind the emergency seats and... voila... they were sitting in front of me, at the emergency seat. I noticed how the FA tried to professionally oversee and ignore the situation, and I must admit I made the big mistake of not asking the FA or the purser to have them seated to first class for example, and hopefully having not intoxicated people at the emergency exit. On a negative answer I would have had enough time to deboard before take off. Call me crazy, but I did really not feel comfortable during the entire flight because of them (as did other fellow passengers).

Take note that on this config it was 2 + 2 on the emergency exit row... therefore one door had to be operated by the honeymooners. Of course chances that an emergency occours is low, perhaps the FA could have helped, etc. etc. But if the FA ask people sitting their if they are willing and able to assist in case of emergency, I assume it has a certain importance.

During the flight the soon to be husband went back and forth a few times, always with new drinks. I can not say if the FA was smart enough to pour tonic water without Gin i the plastic cups.... or if he had a bottle somewhere. Still, the couple was wasted during the entire flight, literally dancing in the seat, shouting, singing, hardly able to keep their eyes propperly open. When walking everybody could witness how difficult it was for them....

Is this a situation where AA should have done something Is this something passengers must accept? I did send a mail to AA, all they said is they would investigate the situation... nothing else.I admit that I also asked for a compensation since I really had to be worried all the time. Nothing.

What are your thoughts?
get a life
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by JDiver
Accusation? No, it’s my impression when it’s mentioned as a serious issue is not acted upon but is reported after the fact with a request for compensation.

Perhaps it’s just my jaded view as a onetime pilot and one who has flown commercially over seven decades. I’d worry about inflight safety, and there’s nothing to be compensated for - because IMO the discomfort wasn’t sufficiently significant enough to do anything about it.

It’s perhaps an overly harsh view for some, and I’m not attacking anyone, so I will own my view without imposing it. I’ll let go, because these are my final words on this topic. But - do read the law I linked to for further perspective should you choose a different action if you ever find yourself in a similar situation again.

Safe travels. And a belated welcome to a FlyerTalk landing.
This

If this issue was important to your life, speak up at the time

If this issue is now soooooo important after you have safely landed and feel you need to be compensated , you need to revisit your motive

I read about this flight so now i need to be compensated

speak up at the time , or shut up
enggeol, HMPS and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:34 am

We all deserve compensation for reading this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
This

If this issue was important to your life, speak up at the time

If this issue is now soooooo important after you have safely landed and feel you need to be compensated , you need to revisit your motive

I read about this flight so now i need to be compensated

speak up at the time , or shut up
+1
I may join the class action lawsuit !

Not a medical professional but self doubters like the OP are seeking to validate what they did and / or next time I will ask for compensation in a timely manner....doesn't cost me !
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No, there is no compensation due. OP did not suffer any inconvenience and we may presume that the drunks' conduct did not cause any particular harm to OP.

Most issues are best dealt with on the spot. This is especially true of safety issues such as this. If the drunks were impaired, that placed OP (and others') life at risk and OP should have spoken up before departure. Whether the FA's and others should have acted as well has nothing to do with OP and OP's obligation to keep himself safe.

Now, OP should certainly report the incident. AA should look at whether its FA's (and perhaps the ground staff in boarding the drunks) failed. Perhaps someone else complained too and a second or third complaint will push AA to look at this carefully.

There is pressure on FA's to get the flight off on time and moving passengers around does not help. By forcing the issue, you counterbalance the natural tendency to let it go.

If you do complain; 1. Forget the embellishments. Report exactly what you saw and do not speculate. 2. Forget compensation.
enggeol, Geordie405 and hcrawford like this.

Last edited by Often1; Apr 27, 2019 at 11:28 am
Old Apr 27, 2019, 9:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
Genuinely curious if that means you're over 70, or you've flown within each of seven consecutive spans of 10 years, which could be achieved by someone aged 50, provided his first flight was when he was an infant.

None of my business, and you did say this was your last post, on the OP's topic anyway, but that's some mad forum post formatting skills for a septuagenarian.
My 75th birthday will be in a very few weeks.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
My 75th birthday will be in a very few weeks.
Out of curiosity, in the 7+ decades you have flown, I suspect there have been a number of cases where you witnessed a safety rule/regulation flaunted. In those instances, how was it handled by passengers and crew? In your experience, are FAs appreciative of pax pointing it out or is it viewed as a burden? Would be curious to hear some crazy safety related stories from your vast experience flying.

Wishing You a Happy 75th Birthday,

James
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Yes and the trouble is OP never mentioned it to the FA whilst on the ground. It would be one thing if OP said, I told the FAs and they didn't care. Then we could argue about whether the FAs were doing the job and/or what would be appropriate action to take from there. OP never did that so all we can look at is the OP and ask ourselves how could the OP have warned the FAs who may not have noticed this issue.

Once the plane is airborne, the FAs have limited options on what to do, particularly if the passengers don't have medical issues and aren't belligerent. Perhaps they could divert and land back where they came but the safety risk won't disappear until they're finally landed safe on the ground, in which case it would make sense for them to just head to their final destination. Hopefully by then some of the alcohol would have warn off or they could "re-accomodate" the passengers.

-James
My comments, analysis, and perception were not directed towards the OP's specific situation.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
So you decided to say nothing, in regards to a situation that could have caused you injury or death, and decided to fly anyway, and then asked for compensation? Do you value your life, and that of your fellow passengers so little, that a few hundred frequent flyer miles would make you happy? Man up next time, and do the right thing, and say something while it can still have an impact.
enggeol and DeepUnderground like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Just how drunk? Falling down loud obnoxious drunk? Unless the 2 were showing visible signs FAs would be limited particularly if the flight was full. Telling 2 people they’d need to move seats because they we’re intoxicated in itself could become problematic. At the end of the day flight crew need to make judgment calls. If these 2 older people weren’t loud and boisterous how would the FAs even know. To expect compensation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.